Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Moving to a New City

Hey all,
    I'm preparing to move at the end of july and i'm wondering what to do about my BP, Severus.
    I'm moving to a new city about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive away from where I live now and I'm wondering how I should go about moving him.
    Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
    TYIA!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Assuming that you're going into a rental, ask the landlord before you sign any papers or hand over any money if keeping a small non-venomous snake as a pet is ok.

Then, before you sign any papers or hand over any money, read them thoroughly to make sure that the LL or management company didn't sneak in a "no pets" provision.

The moving part is fairly easy, pack him up last, secure your critter in a snake bag that goes into a bin, and set him up first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

beeze (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    Definitely make sure you know what you are getting yourself into with a lease and a snake. It might be pet friendly CO where I am from, but 'usually' snakes can be considered "aquarium pets" and are considered in the same vein as fish, turtles and other aquarium confined pets. But again, make sure to know the laws of the city you move to. Although I haven't personally run across any ordinances against ball pythons in my area. I know that this varies region to region, just going off of my own experience.

For travelling a snake bag, some padding and an insulated box work great. If you are worried about keeping temps up, you can use those heat packs. But make sure to monitor the temps inside where the snake is so that it doesn't get too hot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

beeze (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    I'm not worried about the lease. The house (not apartment) I am moving into is owned by my soon to be roommate's/old friend's parents and they're 100% okay with Severus and my dog, Taz, coming along with me. I'm mostly worried about the physical act of moving him/driving for an hour. Is there a specific kind of snake bag I should buy or will a breathable bag of soft material work? I've got a plastic tub and a cardboard carrier atm. It's fairly hot in Kansas right now and I feel that I should mention that my car has no a.c. My dog will be traveling with my parents in their car to save him from the heat.
    Last edited by beeze; 07-06-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks

Re: Moving to a New City

Quote Originally Posted by beeze View Post
    I'm not worried about the lease. The house (not apartment) I am moving into is owned by my soon to be roommate's/old friend's parents and they're 100% okay with Severus and my dog, Taz, coming along with me. I'm mostly worried about the physical act of moving him/driving for an hour. Is there a specific kind of snake bag I should buy or will a breathable bag of soft material work? I've got a plastic tub and a cardboard carrier atm. It's fairly hot in Kansas right now and I feel that I should mention that my car has no a.c. My dog will be traveling with my parents in their car to save him from the heat.
    Could Severus ride with your parents & Taz?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SadieJ For This Useful Post:

beeze (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    You should be fine. Don't put the snake in the trunk, as that will get much hotter. You can put him in a bag, and then into a box with packing peanuts, but leave the top open for ventilation. I would grab a digital probe thermometer to keep in the bag with him to monitor temps. Im sure you will be fine. These guys are much hardier than given credit. He might be a bit stressed with you arrive, so be ready for that. If the temps are extreme during your drive, you can try using a cold pack to cool things down a bit. They also make insulated freezer bags, or you can use a cooler to modulate temps better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

beeze (07-06-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SadieJ View Post
    Could Severus ride with your parents & Taz?

I'd like to say yes, but my mom and 8 year old sister are both uneasy with the idea. My 17 year old sister will be riding with me and Sev, so she'd be able to hold him/his enclosure.
    Last edited by beeze; 07-06-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    You should be fine. Don't put the snake in the trunk, as that will get much hotter. You can put him in a bag, and then into a box with packing peanuts, but leave the top open for ventilation. I would grab a digital probe thermometer to keep in the bag with him to monitor temps. Im sure you will be fine. These guys are much hardier than given credit. He might be a bit stressed with you arrive, so be ready for that. If the temps are extreme during your drive, you can try using a cold pack to cool things down a bit. They also make insulated freezer bags, or you can use a cooler to modulate temps better.
    Awesome, thanks so much! I will definitely take all this into account. I would never put him in the trunk! Luckily, my middle sister will be riding with me, so she'll be able to hold his enclosure while my family helps me move.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeze View Post
    I'd like to say yes, but my mom and 8 year old sister are both uneasy with the idea. My 17 year old sister will be riding with me and Sev, so she'd be able to hold him/his enclosure.
    I would be concerned with no AC. Too much heat could kill him more than being too cool. Maybe if the windows were kept down th whole ride he would be ok? I guess as long as you have a trusted thermometer it would be fine for just an hour drive

Thanks
    Yep no worries. I have moved multiple times with dozens of snakes and all went over without a hitch.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

beeze (07-06-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast