Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

2 members and 2,976 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Thread: Grey morphs

Thanks

Grey morphs

Hey guys!

I'll be picking up a BP early next month but I haven't settled on morphs I want to look for. I love grey BPs, but since I'm going to repticon, I want to shy away from axanthics as most of the vendors may not be able to show me the parents. What are my other options for grey colored BPs? I like a darker grey vs a lighter grey, so that limits me a bit further. Not sure if I want to go all black like a super cinny. Would like more pattern than a mystic potion as well. (More black colored CPs might look great with patterns though so feel free to suggest some like that)

It comes down to what's available, but if I find a wonderful morph I might just hold out past the show to find the perfect one....

Suggestions?

Thanks
    The things I have noticed with grey colored ball pythons is either they are really expensive, many morphs in one or you are looking at recessive genes like the lightning pied... which is gorgeous by the way... but you are looking to spend quite a bit of money on one of those. Really, Axanthic is your best bet for grey BPs, and honestly, the breeders at repticons or reptile expos are very well known and wont lie to you, they really have no reason to. I am not sure what type of breeders will be there as I am not in the US but I am sure people in your area will know who is who.

But I know of a couple greys that may be a little cheaper and no axanthic like the pewter or pewter bee. Although they do have some creams an browns. Most wont stay super grey but I have seen some pretty good quality ones that do.

Black Pewter as well is a really nice choice. Again they can brown out.

They is also the grey matter which looks pied but is actually a super cinny champagne.

That is all I can think of for now, but I really think if you want grey, go for axanthic.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:

PeterPieBaldPython (07-05-2015),Prahanien (07-04-2015)

Thanks
    So far I have $500-$600 to spend, maybe more depending on my paychecks before August, if that helps any.

My only issue with axanthics, as much as I adore them (fav morphs!) is that it's really hard to find ones that will hold their grey well. The only ones I've found really came from specialty breeders that specialize just in axanthics and I don't think I'll be seeing that at repticon, that's just my worry on it as far as axanthics go. I was looking for a few different options to look at as well so I didnt go in thinking axanthic/super cinny/mystic potions were my only hopes. I'm pretty new to the BP world, so I have LOTS of learning to do still as far as morphs go.

I've definitely seen some nice black pewters! A friend of mine has a pretty sterling bee too but it might be a little light for me.
    //

Thanks
    Do you plan on breeding? If you went with an axanthic, you could make that grey morph you desire and have it as a permanent breeding goal... king of like mine with clown pied morphs. Of course it has been explored by other breeders BUT it is a way of doing that I can afford. Longer maybe, but I still may get that $2000 morph without forking $2000 in one go (feeding and housing adds up but $10 a month is cheaper then $2000 in one day). I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

Black pastel is also a good starting point... to a degree.

Something like a sweet silver has black pastel, not sure what kind of luck you would have finding one though. GHI mixes may also be a good morph for greys, but they are pretty expensive still. But these are just a starting point, and finding an exact mix may be difficult...

BPnet Veteran Slowcountry Balls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Some Axanthic combinations hold their silver/grey better than others. Two that come to mind are Cinnamon Axanthic and Fire Axanthic. A GHI Mojave is a really dark grey with yellow. Mystic Cinnamon and Mojave Cinnamon are combinations with a lot of really dark colors that are close to a deep charcoal grey. Mystic Pewter and Mojave Pewter are combinations that make a very true silver to lighter grey. Hope those suggestions help.

Registered User lawnchaircrisis's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Grey morphs

Mystic Potions have more of a purplish hue, but some of them do look pretty grey, and they are definitely within your price range.
    1.0 Mojave "Kahlua"
    1.1 het VPI Axanthic "Martini & Mai Tai"

1.0 Great Dane dog "Kryptonite"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Brandon Osborne has the most "true grey" morphs I've ever seen. He even has a few that I believe are NFS, that are like 4 different shades of grey and white. I'd visit his page to get some ideas, even if you don't buy from him.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

9. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (07-05-2015)