Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question is my snake lazy?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how active a young ball python should be. Mine I'd about 4 months old and is rather active when out of his habitat.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: is my snake lazy?

Quote Originally Posted by 1ballinpython View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me how active a young ball python should be.
    Does not get much more lazy than a BP.....people compare them to Pet rock for a reason
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Prahanien (07-24-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Yeah beeps aren't exactly the most active snake. Great for a couch buddy, not so much fore look at a thing that moves around a lot.

Thanks

They are not known for their high activity levels, that's for sure lol. My guy always perks up and starts exploring when I take him out, but for the most part he just stays in his hide in his tank. They are crepuscular, meaning if you do see them out and about it is likely to be at dusk or dawn. It is actually a good sign if you aren't seeing him exploring a ton, when they are too active they are usually looking for an escape route. This is called "cage wandering" and can be a sign of anything from general discomfort or lack of security to something dangerously off in the tank (like temperatures being way too hot or cold), so definitely don't worry if he doesn't roam much. If he suddenly becomes very active, that is when you start looking into possible issues.

It is actually funny you should post this. I just logged in to ask a question about my little guy, who last night decided instead of striking and constricting his rat he would just open his mouth and wait for me to place its head between his jaws. Talk about lazy! To his credit, he is preparing to shed and isn't feeling up for much exertion. I am lucky he ate at all. Either way, I felt like I should have been offering the rat on a baby spoon. These guys never stop surprising you with their antics. lol
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

Prahanien (07-24-2015)

Thanks

I legitimately laughed at this. That is one lazy snake you got there. Although I guess if he was actually willing to eat maybe he isn't as lazy as the rest.

Thanks
    I have some pretty lazy boas too. My albino female has never moved around a lot. Doesn't even strike at the feeders. Just makes her way over and swallows them.

Thanks
    That sounds adorable, kiia!

I have a jungle carpet python and he isnt lazy at all. He's a wiggleworm and I can't get him to sit still for photos EVER. I love it though, it makes him interesting to handle.
    //