Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

0 members and 3,241 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Levi (rant ahead)

I've been having a hard time bottling this up lately and just need to get it off my chest.

This giant lovable doofus is my brothers family dog, Levi. We aren't totally sure what kind of dog he is, but the best guess is a shepherd/rott mix. He is absolutely one of the sweetest family dogs I have ever known! Weighing in at a whopping 120, he'll bowl me over in excitement whenever my brothers family brings him over for Sunday dinner, but he still manages to be super gentle around their 6 year old (who for other reasons is about the size of your average 3 year old). He doesn't much care for strangers, but in the past my sister in law has said that's one of the only reasons she's moderately comfortable leaving the older kids (13 and 11) home alone with him.

Now he's had some health problems involving blowing out the tendons on both his back legs. I understood why my brother opted not to get the corrective surgeries for it, since his youngest son has a heart condition that requires lots of very expensive surgeries and I can't fault anyone for choosing their child over their dog when it comes to those decisions. On the bright side, Levis legs appear to be doing much better lately! Last I saw him his hindquarters had put on a good bit of the bulk they had been losing and he had much more stamina during playtime as well as a much reduced limp. The doctor had said before that his leg problems could correct themselves, though he didn't think that was super likely, so it's good to see that happening.

The part about this dogs story that has me absolutely furious is that my brothers family is seriously considering getting rid of Levi. For me, who was raised believing dogs were a part of the family, this just kills me. I had thought me brother was the same way, but apparently not. At this point I think the only reason they still have him is because no one they know wants a gimp dog, and no one they don't know wants a gimp dog that doesn't want anything to do with them. Every weekend I have to listen to my niece talk about what kind of dog she wants to get once Levi is gone, and I'm dying on the inside not being able to tell her and their family that they should be ashamed treating the animal that loves them like yesterday's leftovers.

I know it's only a matter of time at this point before the poor dog ends up at a shelter or put down (luckily the county shelter where they live is no-kill, but who knows with a dog that acts aggressive toward strangers?). I would take this dog in a heartbeat if I didn't live in an apartment that prohibits shepherds, so I'm constantly needling my parents about whether or not they would take him in. They've got a big house on 4 acres with a fenced yard, so they have the room and my dad has been talking about getting anot her big dog. Dad likes Levi and mom doesn't mind him, but they're still on the fence about taking him in.

The whole situation is upsetting to me, and being hormonaly unstable right now (pregnant! Woo) I'm about ready to burst into tears every time I see or think about this poor dog. I don't know how to handle this anymore besides hope that my parents end up taking him in and that my brother has the sense to never get another dog again.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    When I saw the first pic before reading, I thought, "Shep/Rott".

Shame on your brother's family.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Levi (rant ahead)

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    The part about this dogs story that has me absolutely furious is that my brothers family is seriously considering getting rid of Levi.
    Every weekend I have to listen to my niece talk about what kind of dog she wants to get once Levi is gone, and I'm dying on the inside not being able to tell her and their family that they should be ashamed treating the animal that loves them like yesterday's leftovers.
    Are you sure that your brother's family is planning on getting another dog? Or is that just your niece's impression of what's going on?

Thanks
    Not gonna lie, I'd be rude and talk to them about it, but I've apparently been too blunt lately for some people. My parents brought it up with their elderly cat in joking a couple years ago, and I offered my opinion quite openly. Not only is his grumpy butt still around and loving people, but their old cat and new dog got over each other.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anicatgirl For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (07-03-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    They have a responsibility to the dog, and that includes making sure it gets adequate medical care. If they can't afford to do that (things happen, including financial hardships, so that's not something I would hold against them) then rehoming the dog with someone who can is absolutely the thing they need to do. This also applies to the dog's grooming and exercise needs, what ever those might be, and I know caring for a child with on going medical needs is a drain on mental, emotional, and physical energy that may leave none at all for the dog. It may be that they just don't know how to go about rehoming responsibly, and need to find a place to help. You may want to assist them by researching and contacting local rescue groups, and explaining to them the situation.

However your niece, and the rest of the family, should be disabused of the notion that they can swoop right out and replace him with a healthier animal. He's not a defective toy or device that they can swap for a better model, and whatever care requirements he's needing that the family is having trouble meeting, a new dog is going to require anyway (vaccines, spay/nueter, microchipping, general vet checks, training, toys, food and other supplies, walking, grooming, etc.) if they don't have the ability to care for this animal, they don't have the ability to care for its replacement. Simple as that.