Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,506

2 members and 3,504 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: English Bulldog experiences and advice?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    The woman in my life wants a small breed. I think the max we would want to go up would be a medium sized dog, probably no bigger than a female English bulldog. When it comes to dogs we will consider any and all breeds.
    A EB may be smaller in size but they are large with stubbornness. It takes a firm person to get a EB to listen. My wife has an issue with being the pack leader with ours. With me the dog knows her place but she is stubborn. Make sure you are both ready for that.

I also do not believe that with your outdoor activities a EB is a good choice at all for yall. They can have issues getting to hot in temps in the 70's. That's not very warm. I have several friends with a EB and they all do not do very well outside in the Texas heat for anything longer than a few minutes.

I recommended this once before and maybe you could use it as well. Search online and take a few different dog test. There are quizzes that you put in what you are looking for and what your lifestyle is and it will suggest different options for breeds that will fit your life. I did this and that's how I found OEBs. I had never heard of them before but with taking a few quizzes and then researching them I found they were the choice for me. You may find something similar for you.

I strongly urge you to rethink getting a EB. I do not think that a fan, shade, and water will be enough while camping. I also don't think its fair(for you or the dog) that you would have to leave it at home or with grandma when the other dogs get to go play and camp. This in itself could create issues and cause the EB to act out. Bulldogs chew their entire life and they do it well. An angry EB will eat everything in grandmas house while being yelled at.

Im not trying to be rude so please don't read into my post as you are not able to care for a EB. I am positive you are. I just think you may be getting into something when there is a better choice that will be happier in your family and your family will be happier with.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    What about a boston terrier or boston bulldogge? There's quite a few bull dog breeds out there but if you want outdoorsy stuff I can't see most EB's holding up well, they are good sized dogs but not very agile, prone to pretty much every health issue imaginable and have a tendency to drop dead of heatstroke. There are some breeders striving for a more functional EB with longer legs and noses but the majority are structural disasters. Any bulldog breed you are looking at a possibility of dog aggression higher than say spaniels or labs so you would want to talk to the breeder about how well their lines do with other dogs, particularly same sex if that's a worry for you.

Thanks
    English Cocker Spaniel. American cockers are often too hyper, neurotic and nippy with kids.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Huge fan here of Boxers, and anything of Boxer mix. Worked with them frequently at the local pound.

Every one of them stole my heart.

Not all have the extreme shortened mussel that is lately popular with breeders. Even coming from terrible circumstances, they are joyfull, attentive learners, and athletic. Finally adopted one about a year ago. She is Boxer in markings, personality, and athleticism, yet rather mastiffy (Bull Mastiff?) in build and head shape. Fantastic girl. She gets along great with both the Lab mix and the little Chia.
    Last edited by distaff; 07-12-2015 at 06:50 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: English Bulldog experiences and advice?

I have no experience with them, but from everything I've read (some first hand accounts too, one from a VERY experienced dog person), the English Shephard Dog would also be an excellent choice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123