Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

English Bulldog experiences and advice?

If you saw my last post on dachshunds, my fiancé and I are looking to add a third dog to our pack. Already have two very friendly, socialized and trained black labs. English bulldogs have come up as a breed that's great with kids and other dogs. Can anyone share their experiences owning or being around this breed? We spend a ton of time with our dogs, and want to make sure a new addition is the best fit. We would be getting a puppy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I love English bulldogs but don't own one. I wanted a dog that could keep up with me. One that I could take fishing on the boat, take to the beach, and take out to any other place I may go. The limits of an English bulldog because of the hot and cold was a big factor in this for me. Living in Texas the heat is a major issue and not one that would allow me to include a English bulldog in my activities.

In the end I went with a Old English Bulldog. They have much of the same attributes of the English but they are much more able bodied and can handle much more than a regular English. They are larger with a more athletic build. Mine is pretty short but can jump into my truck without a problem and really surprises me with her athleticism. They are what the bulldog originally was before they were breed down into the show dog of today.

Another big plus for me was they were cheaper than a English. You really need to shell out the cash to get a bulldog without many health issues. I same many and not none because every person that I know that has one has some issue be it skin, breathing, eyes, wrinkles, etc. An OEB is far less prone to these things although even mine had a skin issue until I started using the correct shampoo.

Im on my second and will get another when the time is right.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have noticed a lot of their limitations too. We do hike and camp a lot with our two labs. Obviously we wouldn't bring the bulldog hiking, but I was thinking that when camping we could provide ample shade, water and maybe a cooling battery powered fan for him. We want a third dog, but I don't have it in me to raise another ultra high energy breed puppy right now. I live in CO, and we do get hot summers, but only a couple months worth. There are really only a few camping trips a year that we encounter heat.

Thanks
    Ha! Ultra high energy puppy? An OEB does not fit that at all. That is another reason I got one. She is just fine on the lake all day but the next two days she sleeps non stop and likes to stay in her bed or mine.

Even when she was a puppy she was happy being as active as I was and sleeping as long as I did and many times longer. That is what they seem to do best....sleep.

Mine is next to me right now sleeping.

Even with shade, water, and a fan in certain temps that will not be enough. I would not want to be in the woods with a dog that needed special treatment like that. The other two will get jealous when you put the bulldog in the car to suck up some A/C.
    Last edited by KMG; 07-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    KMG

Thanks
    English Bulldogs have trouble breathing, and will suffer much more in hot or humid weather than most other dogs, plus because of their jaw structure will have dental issues as well.

Thanks
    Haha yeah, definitely seems like they enjoy hanging around. So you think that an English bulldog would be content to just hang around the campsite with us while the labs play in the lake or river? I always have giant shade tents and plenty of water around. Was thinking if it was hot I could bring a portable fan to cool the guy down.

Thanks
    Well the ones I have been around usually want to play with the other dogs. An EB is not going to be able to keep up with your other two. Plus they can not swim so the lake and river can be dangerous. Even OEBs have a hard time swimming as they are so dense. I had to get mine a lifejacket and now she can hang with the two labs in my family. It was actually a great buy as I can now toss her in the lake to cool off and it gives me handles to pull her back aboard.

My current one can swim but it is nothing like a lab or other water dog. My last could hardly tread water and she really worried me around water. The lifejacket gives me piece of mind and increased my dogs confidence around the water as well. Now she will actually get in the pool when before she would run from it.

Neither of the two OEBs I have had have any breathing issues and can last outside without any issues. She does have a good underbite.
    Last edited by KMG; 07-02-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    KMG

Thanks
    KMG

Thanks
    Personally if I was going to do a bulldog type dog I would get an American bull dog. They have the best personality. Just awesome dogs.

If you want something smaller perhaps look into boston terriers. They are a big dog in a small dog's body and could most likely keep up with your labs.

Thanks

Re: English Bulldog experiences and advice?

Quote Originally Posted by HVani View Post
    Personally if I was going to do a bulldog type dog I would get an American bull dog. They have the best personality. Just awesome dogs.

If you want something smaller perhaps look into boston terriers. They are a big dog in a small dog's body and could most likely keep up with your labs.
    Not enough wrinkles for me on an American. They are great dogs and are much like OEBs but I would say they have more energy. Not like a Boxer but more than a EB or OEB.

Have you ever had an AB? If so, could it swim?
    KMG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast