Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,115

2 members and 1,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

Thread: BP handling

Thanks

BP handling

Well, I have my first ball python, I got her this past weekend. She is super tame although i have not held her since the day I got her briefly. From what i read most people swear by not handling your ball python until you have at least 2 meals in them. My question is, will she be lethargic and more standoffish when I finally get to handle her? It just seems that way. I feel like it would be more of a pain to have to tame her back down. Or do ball pythons just stay generally tame regardless?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The general consensus seems to be not to handle until at least a meal or two... Even if she's a little nervous during the first handling after a couple weeks, she will for sure calm down more again after a few more handling sessions. It's not much of a pain at all to tame back down and doesn't take too long, because ball pythons generally are not aggressive or angry or anything to begin with. Just more shy and maybe tense.

Definitely better than handling her before she takes the two meals though, JUST in case- it would be a much bigger pain to deal with picky feeding due to stress!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.