Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,065

0 members and 3,065 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks
    I know bp's are nocturnal and such, but do you think they may need light some times to know what time of day it is and such? I'm wondering because earlier this month I had to cover my window up with some garbage bags and a blanket to keep cool air out(not a very well insulated house, lol) and since then that keeps my room dark 24 hours a day. That means the only light Pelota gets is when I go in my room for something once in a while. Now I wasn't too worried, but yesterday and today I've noticed Pelota seems to have her days and nights mixed up. Now she'll come out during the day and snake around, when she used to sleep during the day. Tonight she was out exploring from around 4pm till 9pm. Usually this is when she's curled up in her hide sleeping. I dunno if it's her telling me she's hungry, or she just has her sleep cycle mixed up. I dunno. If she is hungry, then that big weaned rat didn't fill her too long, lol. Anyway, yeah, just wondering if bp's, although nocturnal, do need some sort of light source in their room during the day.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    im about 90% sure u dont need any light source.

Thanks
    i heard that you were supposed to turn off the heat lamp at night if you have a regular bulb, so the snake doesnt think its daytime 24/7. so, wouldnt that work the same with no heat lamp?? that there SHOULD be some sort of light, and not complete darkness?? just curious.
    1.1 bps- Apollo & Pandora ♥

Thanks
    I think ball pythons are actually beleived to be crepuscular so IMO it would be highly beneficial to provide some sort of day/night photoperiod not to mention most animals in general operate off of photoperiod even humans ... total darkness for a prolonged period may cause her to go off feed and in general be stressful on her
    For Those Who Fought For It,
    Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know

Thanks
    id like to rephrase my first post, im not saying its good to put them in a dark closet and keep them there permanently. i was talking about EXTRA light sources, my room has a window so that provides the day/night cycle itself.

Thanks
    Hmm...I'm screwed then, lol. I can't uncover my window, cuz then it gets drafty, and that's not good for the snake. I guess I'll have to figure something out with lights and a timer.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    Cody , a small flourecent fixture on a lamp timer would do the trick or even just a lamp in the room on a timer
    For Those Who Fought For It,
    Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know