Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,381

4 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Cheap feed from farm stores for mice and rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Fransisco, I can't recall what the brand was. It came in a big green bag and I think it was called 'sow and piglet' formula. It was probably Purina brand, as it came from tractor supply company.
    Thanks! I was able to find it and even special ordered a couple bags from my local feed store. They get here tomorrow and I am excited to try it out. It's called Natures Match: Sow and Pig Complete Feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by francisco_24 View Post
    Thanks! I was able to find it and even special ordered a couple bags from my local feed store. They get here tomorrow and I am excited to try it out. It's called Natures Match: Sow and Pig Complete Feed.
    Let me know how that works. I'm trying to decide between hog feed and dog food. I'm wanting to make hoppers for the food.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayRo626 View Post
    Let me know how that works. I'm trying to decide between hog feed and dog food. I'm wanting to make hoppers for the food.
    Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I started giving the rodents the hog feed. The food itself, the rats and mice seem to like. It's the size of the little pellet that makes it a pain in the butt to feed. It falls straight down to the tub with the 1/2 inch hardware cloth, so I still give the rats the rodent block & then couple times a day I give them a small handful of the hog feed.

Now for the 1/4 hardware cloth, the hog feed works great. A small portion of the pellets still fall through the mesh when pouring the feed but nothing too significant.

So I think for now, Im going to stick with the rodent block for the rats (even though it's $10 more per bag) and I'll just use the hog feed for the mice.

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Has anyone else looked at Pet360 lately. 200 lbs generally isn't even an ordering option anymore and it's been an additional $100+ shipping charge when I do rarely see it available.

Tractor Supply has a Mazuri rodent block available by special order but they don't know the % make-up and I haven't been able to locate it online. It's a 38 lb bag for something like $18.

I've been reading really good things about Doggy Bag at TSC. Roughly the same ingredients and protein % as Native Earth. May be a better option over hog feed but I don't really know.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post
    Has anyone else looked at Pet360 lately. 200 lbs generally isn't even an ordering option anymore and it's been an additional $100+ shipping charge when I do rarely see it available.

Tractor Supply has a Mazuri rodent block available by special order but they don't know the % make-up and I haven't been able to locate it online. It's a 38 lb bag for something like $18.

I've been reading really good things about Doggy Bag at TSC. Roughly the same ingredients and protein % as Native Earth. May be a better option over hog feed but I don't really know.
    They stopped the free shipping a couple months ago as well as the bulk order.

Thanks
    I priced out 5 bags being shipped to me and it'll host $90 for the shipping. I'm considering doing sue bees rat diet with dog food or pig food to supplement the protein. I really want the same quality as the lab blocks. I don't want my rodents to become stinkier or have a hard time growing and keeping weight.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky Dragons View Post

I actually ended up getting the Doggy Bag, and my rats have seemed to enjoy it. I am using it for my rats, mice, and ASF. I like that I get 40 lbs for $13. It lasts me forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12