Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

1 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I want to keep my savannah monitor alive.

Hello everyone,

I have wanted a savannah monitor for a long time. I did all of my research beforehand and honestly thought I would need to order a little guy online, but I found one in a petshop instead. I probably shouldn't have gotten him because he just didn't seem... healthy. I have a juvenile black and white tegu that is thriving with proper temps and a huge enclosure. I expected him to act a bit more like my tegu when he was a baby. But he didn't. He seemed tired all the time. To compound the problem, while I was at the pet store picking him out, there was another monitor that kept flipping over onto his back. It's like he just couldn't right himself. I thought that look suspicious... but I also really wanted a monitor. I chose to overlook my concerns because I was confident I could rehab the little guy even if he was sick (I didn't think it would be anything he couldn't recover from).

Anyway, long story short: my little one died. I had only had him for two weeks. His basking spot was right at 120 degrees (I know care sheet recommend 130 but the pet store kept insisting that's too hot for a baby). The cool side was 80 degrees. It's a custom enclosure with the same measurements as a 40 gallon breeder. 8 inches of substrate misted every other day. Fed crickets (as many as he would eat in ten minutes). None of it seemed to matter and he just progressively got worse and worse. So I called the pet store because I didn't think it was my fault. They exchanged him for another and this guy is much more lively and DOES seem healthy. But my confidence is shot. I feel so bad for my earlier monitor. I want to make sure it wasn't fault. That it wasn't a preventable death. More importantly, I want to make sure my little dude survives because I'm getting very attached to this one.

Please help me! Any advice, criticism, anything!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    What kind of thermometer are you using to read the hotspot and other temps? (IR Temp gun, dial, digital)

Why do you have 8 inches of substrate?

Posting a picture of the cage would allow people to help you better with suggestions for it.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    varanustalk.net

Small forum, but tons of great advice. If you post the above overthere put up some pictures of your enclosure etc.

The cage you have even for a baby is pretty tiny, most have had success putting them in their "forever" enclosure right off the batt, 8in of substrate is better than some have done in a 40 gallon tank, but again most suggest at least 2ft of substrate to ensure they can burrow, stay hydrated, etc. What are the specs on your tegu enclosure? I basically keep my Tegu the exact same way most house their Savs except I keep a higher humidity.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 06-11-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Re: I want to keep my savannah monitor alive.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    What kind of thermometer are you using to read the hotspot and other temps? (IR Temp gun, dial, digital)

Why do you have 8 inches of substrate?

Posting a picture of the cage would allow people to help you better with suggestions for it.
    I take surface temps with a temp gun but I also have a digital on both ends of the enclosure.

I have 8 inches because http://www.savannahmonitor.net/ insists that they are burrowing animals and like to dig.

I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    varanustalk.net

Small forum, but tons of great advice. If you post the above overthere put up some pictures of your enclosure etc.

The cage you have even for a baby is pretty tiny, most have had success putting them in their "forever" enclosure right off the batt, 8in of substrate is better than some have done in a 40 gallon tank, but again most suggest at least 2ft of substrate to ensure they can burrow, stay hydrated, etc. What are the specs on your tegu enclosure? I basically keep my Tegu the exact same way most house their Savs except I keep a higher humidity.
    My baby is very tiny. Perhaps only a little longer than my middle finger. I had read that they could be placed inside large enclosures but I was skeptical because I didn't want him to stress out inside such a large enclosure and, selfishly, I want to make sure he survives for a little while before I go through the process of building his adult home. I already have the plans (it would mimic my tegu enclosure). I just want to make sure he lasts past two weeks.

My tegu enclosure is 8 long x 4 deep x 3 height.

Would you still recommend 2ft at his size? Of course I would add more as he grew but I have the temps worked out perfectly (I believe so, anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong) and I hesitate to disturb that until I'm a bit more convinced he's healthy.

I've never had any issues with any of my pets before. I have beardies, uros, a tegu, snakes, and parrots. None of them have ever died on me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I glad you are using a temp gun.

2 feet of substrate!?! I guess they really are diggers. Seems like that would almost have to be made custom. I bet changing it is no small task.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    I cannot recommend varanustalk.com and savannahmonitor.net enough!!!

Your basking temps seem good enough for now. Between 120 and 150 is a good range(mine are at 140). The bulbs you should be using are called outdoor flood lights, and theyre way cheaper than anything at a pet store (most of the supplies for this guy, you will probably get at a hardware store) they are VERY important cuz the heat a large area without burning the lizard (like spotlights and heat emitters do) and they dont kill the humidity. you will find more info at varanustalk.

Humidity should be around 60% above ground and near 100%underground (it will help when you have a bigger enclosure with more substrate). If you are having trouble holding humidity, cover the lid with tin foil. You said something about how much dirt to use? As much as you can!!! In your aquarium, fill it more than half way with dirt. The minimum for an adult is 2 feet. They will use ALL of it. It might bump up the basking temps too.

For food, i really recomend worms, idk why but savs dont like crickets as much in my experience. Also, START TONG FEEDING, tongs are your best friends. Read the "taming" page on varanustalk about this.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks

Hahaha. My tegu requires a lot as well. It's a BIG pain in the butt to change it all out but thankfully a full overhaul can be delayed if I keep up with it as I go (like spot cleaning, for example). Honestly, I'd rather have to occasionally change out the dirt than incorporate the living soil with bugs and creepy-crawlies and everything. (I don't like the idea of bugs escaping into my house and like the idea even less when I start to imagine the possible parasites that may harm my tegu).

Thanks
    Kmg the subtrate for monitors will go against everything you have been taught about keeping reptiles. Go out to the woods, dig up a TON (quite literally) of dirt, run it through some screen to get the sticks out, and toss it in to the enclosure, no cleaning needed.

Its called bioactive substrate, its a self cleaning thing, all we keepers gotta do is every few months stir it up, no changing needed. You dont even need to clean their poop that often, the cleanup bugs in the dirt decompose the poop etc.

And yes, they dig like crazy. Moreso than tegus.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel.michelle For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (06-11-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    I cannot recommend varanustalk.com and savannahmonitor.net enough!!!

Your basking temps seem good enough for now. Between 120 and 150 is a good range(mine are at 140). The bulbs you should be using are called outdoor flood lights, and theyre way cheaper than anything at a pet store (most of the supplies for this guy, you will probably get at a hardware store) they are VERY important cuz the heat a large area without burning the lizard (like spotlights and heat emitters do) and they dont kill the humidity. you will find more info at varanustalk.

Humidity should be around 60% above ground and near 100%underground (it will help when you have a bigger enclosure with more substrate). If you are having trouble holding humidity, cover the lid with tin foil. You said something about how much dirt to use? As much as you can!!! In your aquarium, fill it more than half way with dirt. The minimum for an adult is 2 feet. They will use ALL of it. It might bump up the basking temps too.

For food, i really recomend worms, idk why but savs dont like crickets as much in my experience. Also, START TONG FEEDING, tongs are your best friends. Read the "taming" page on varanustalk about this.
    Just to be certain: the basking temp of 120-150 is okay for a hatchling? He's very tiny. I fully expect an adult to require minimum of 130 but the pet store had told me they kept their babies at 90 degrees (do you think this might be why my first sav died?).

Can you explain the flood lights? I've tried looking for them at the hardware store but the one I bought actually focused the light enough to start burning the rock (left a black spot). That's not something I want to put my lizard under. I don't remember what exactly I bought, but I know I keep reading about a general "45 watt halogen flood lamp" bulb. Is there any specific brand that doesn't focus the light so dangerously?

I live in a very humid area of Texas. I don't even have to worry about that. Above the soil it's always at least 60% (usually closer to 70%) and I make sure to keep the burrowing area moist.

What kind of worms? Superworms? Silk worms? I was hoping to move on to dubia soon but are worms more nutritious? Can they digest it all okay?

The tong feeding is a terrific idea. Thank you for that! I'll start doing that immediately.
    Last edited by Acifexeq; 06-11-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Changed "baby" to "hatchling" for clarification.

Thanks
    Bruh, acifexeq, ur makin more work for yourself. If your tank is sealed good, then there no chance of bugs escaping. You wont notice the bugs at all, trust me. (Also earthworms give a natural prey to the lizard and pill bugs are cute)

As for parasites, this bioactive substrate has been proven to be cleaner than dirt without a cleanup crew. Read up on the bioactive subtrate page on varanustalk.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast