Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

2 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Trust me, you are better off working or volunteering with someone who has one. Crested geckos and beardies are TOTALLY different from alligators.

I keep monitors and work with large ones on a regular basis, and i would not even try getting an alligator. I recoment doing research on some smaller monitor lizards like savannahs, tree monitors or other "small" monitors. Start at varanustalk.com and savannahmonitor.net even if you're not that into those lizards specifically, there are experts on large lizards.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel.michelle For This Useful Post:

Ridinandreptiles (06-09-2015),skatefastdieyoung (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: American Alligator husbandry questions.

Quote Originally Posted by skatefastdieyoung View Post
    ive had 2 crested geckos, own a turtle, and had 2 beardies. Both the geckos and beardies have died of old age. Mt turtle is still alive and well. I have a 3 bedroom trailer only two are full. The king size is open as i didnt need that much space. I seen HUGE plastic tubs that could easily fit a adult croc. Ive had experience with lizards however im new to snakes. I called the state rep office for further information on state regulations and permits needed... Im gettin the animal for the love of the animal, not for anything more. Its upsetting people let them go as adults as they should be fully prepped for an adult in the first place. Im more than ready to own one but need the permits. I want to have hands on physical knowledge of these animals as i find them interesting, the same reason people buy snakes. They find them interesting and have a loving, caring, burning passion for them. I have that same passion for crocs. I want one.
    So which is it, Alligator or Crocodile?

Many people keep Caiman Crocs but they are much smaller than an American Alligator. Are you confused of what you want?

A trailer bedroom is not going to be the proper environment to house a large alligator or crocodile. I have never seen a plastic tub large enough to hold an adult croc, not unless you count pre-molded swimming pools. I don't think you realize how large these animals truly are.
    Last edited by KMG; 06-09-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

... Im more than ready to own one but need the permits
    of course you're ready to keep a 10 ft 500 lb animal in the spare bedroom, after all, you've kept beardies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Ive been ready to do many things in my life but that does not mean that I could, should, or would.

I don't get how you go from having to save up to buy a snake to ready to build out an alligator or crocodile(whichever it is) enclosure.

Where can I buy a gator tub?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Im more than ready to own one but need the permits. I want to have hands on physical knowledge of these animals as i find them interesting, the same reason people buy snakes. They find them interesting and have a loving, caring, burning passion for them. I have that same passion for crocs. I want one.
    I can certainly appreciate that, but you're going to need more than a loving, caring, burning passion to get a permit:
    58 PA Code §147.81. Special Permits - Endangered or Threatened Species - Scope.
    (a) The permit will only be issued if it can be established that the possession of the endangered species will enhance the species as a whole.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Ridinandreptiles (06-09-2015),skatefastdieyoung (06-09-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    I'm very curious now - it's "legal to own" one of these animals, IF you get the right permits, but they'll only issue permits to (it sounds like) wildlife preserve personnel or zoo workers... so, doesn't that effectively make it NOT legal to own, for the layperson?

Legal-ese is so tricky to wade through.
    Last edited by Aercadia; 06-09-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Words

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aercadia View Post
    I'm very curious now - it's "legal to own" one of these animals, IF you get the right permits, but they'll only issue permits to (it sounds like) wildlife preserve personnel or zoo workers... so,doesn't that effectively make it NOT legal to own, for the layperson?
    For a "layperson" in PA, that's basically it, yeah.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Registered User skatefastdieyoung's Avatar
    Thanks

Just decided that american alligator might be a little much (for now) but seeing that i adore both crocodiles and alligators, ive made the decision of purchasing a smooth fronted caiman.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Shinisaurus crocodilurus
    Dracaena guianensis
    Tribolonotus gracilis

You get the crocodilian look without risk of serious mauling or death when you make a mistake.

Thanks

Need help understanding requirements, meals, etc. Pretty much just need help with knowledge about what i need to know and physically have.
    Im more than ready to own one but need the permits.
    Seems like quite the contradiction here. You've clearly displayed that you have absolutely no knowledge of the basic husbandry requirements of the animals in question, not to mention safe handling techniques for apex predator crocodilians. A caiman may be a smaller animal but it is nothing to jump into sight unseen just because you like them. Any crocodilian is going to be financially very demanding to keep in the colder states.

If you're truly serious about keeping crocodilians, Look into Shawn Heflick's Crocodile University program that he does. Spend the roughly $1000 on the course and learn the proper husbandry, handling, and other fundamental aspects of keeping crododilians. Learn from the people who are truly qualified. I guarantee that will give you a much better insight on whether or not crocodilians are something you want to get into. As well as I'm sure it'll make any permitting process easier, having that hands on time with dedicated crocodilian keepers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (06-10-2015)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast