Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

2 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User skatefastdieyoung's Avatar
    Thanks

American Alligator husbandry questions.

Closest thread option i had, i went under misc but could only find field herping. Need help understanding requirements, meals, etc. Pretty much just need help with knowledge about what i need to know and physically have. Im considering purchasing.
    Last edited by skatefastdieyoung; 06-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    The most important thing for you to have would be a permit, as they are listed as a threatened species by the US Fish & Wildlife Service, which makes them unlawful to posses in PA without one.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (07-07-2015)

Thanks

Re: American Alligator husbandry questions.

Judging from your profile I'll assume you're a kid. My advice is don't purchase an alligator.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

Boomerang (06-16-2015)

Thanks

s it legal to buy/sell/own an alligator, cayman or crocodile in PA?
    "The PA Fish and Boat Commission’s regulations do not regulate possession of non-native species of reptiles and amphibians. So long as these animals are not released into the wild, there are no state regulations regarding their ownership. Likewise, there is no state permit required to possess these animals. However, there may be local municipal ordinances, which regulate the ownership of “dangerous animals” and you should check with your local government before purchasing such an animal"... So legally i can own one?

Thanks
    Its going to be really difficult owning an alligator in Pennsylvania. If you lived in the warm southern states where you could make an outdoor pond maybe I could understand it. But unless you can make some kind of huge indoor heated pool with the right lighting for winter then its just unfair to the animal.
    Think tegu or monitor of some kind, smaller and still super cool.

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Do you have experience with lizards? If so what kinds? And how have you had experience with them?

If you are asking questions about the animals basic husbandy, you are not ready for it.

Before you even think of getting one, you MUST have:
    an adult size enclosure built BEFORE getting a hatchling
    a plan for feeding (not asking parents or assuming you have enough)
    have a plan not just for the animal, but a plan for housing of yourself.
    Be able to recite its care etc. Like the alphabet.

Thats just the tip of the iceburg too. Just keep researching until your eyes bleed and beyond.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Here's the section that I found relevant:
    58 PA Code §137.1. Importation, possession, sale and release of certain wildlife.
    (a) Unless otherwise provided in this section or the act, it is unlawful for a person to import, possess, sell, offer for sale or release within this Commonwealth the following wild animals or wild birds or the eggs of the birds or a crossbreed or hybrid of the wild animals or wild birds, which are similar in appearance:
    (8) An animal, bird or egg of a bird listed by the Commonwealth or the United States Department of the Interior as threatened, endangered or injurious.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (07-07-2015),skatefastdieyoung (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Have you ever seen a full size adult American Alligator? They are not small animals. They are also not exactly known to be friendly care free animals. Can you imagine having to get it looked at by a vet? I bet that would cost more than a Blue Eye Lucy itself.

If you are going to do it do it right and just get you a Saltwater Croc.

BTW, just because something is legal does not mean that there are not permits and permissions needed to do it. With that Im not saying it is or isn't legal for you to own one. I don't support the idea enough to google it for you.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    ive had 2 crested geckos, own a turtle, and had 2 beardies. Both the geckos and beardies have died of old age. Mt turtle is still alive and well. I have a 3 bedroom trailer only two are full. The king size is open as i didnt need that much space. I seen HUGE plastic tubs that could easily fit a adult croc. Ive had experience with lizards however im new to snakes. I called the state rep office for further information on state regulations and permits needed... Im gettin the animal for the love of the animal, not for anything more. Its upsetting people let them go as adults as they should be fully prepped for an adult in the first place. Im more than ready to own one but need the permits. I want to have hands on physical knowledge of these animals as i find them interesting, the same reason people buy snakes. They find them interesting and have a loving, caring, burning passion for them. I have that same passion for crocs. I want one.

Thanks

There's a little farm/zoo/rescue in the Stroudsburg area that keeps several alligators. A lot of their animals were collected from people who were woefully unprepared for exotic/dangerous animals. You should ask them how they care for their gators, and how optimal they believe their care is compared to a naturally warm climate or a facility with more resources at their disposal.

I can commiserate with wanting one - Clarissa Explains It All filled my young mind with dreams of keeping a baby gator in a kiddie pool in my room. Fortunately for all parties involved (especially for the alligator) those dreams were promptly shot down. I understand why, but that doesn't heal the heartbreak!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast