Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

1 members and 3,156 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: I need help!

Thanks

I need help!

I have a male bearded dragon about five years of age. I know I'm doing something wrong. Today I plan to put in a terrarium liner as well as a cat bed. The reason I want to put a cat bed in his tank is because he never seems comfortable! He can't sleep at night and tries to get out. When I take him out and put him on a pillow he falls right to sleep. Would a cat bed in his tank be a bad idea? I also got him a soft microfiber towel, is that alright?

Also, what would be a good way to disinfect the tank when I clean it? I read that baby wipes are good to use when cleaning the tank but I've read a lot of things that I also know aren't good for him.

I want to put some moss in the corner of the tank for humidity, any objections?

He he also has a large water dish that takes up about half his tank. When he was younger he would lay in it. Now he just drinks out of it from time to time. Should I replace the big water dish. With a smaller one to give him more space? He doesn't seem to do much with his old age but feel as though he would if he had more space

i know I sound like a horrible person for not already knowing these things but I got him as a gift when I was younger and didn't have the best knowledge on taking care of any pets. I was you and stupid. Now I have a job and more knowledge and I'm trying the best I can to do good by all my pets

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    How big is the enclosure and can you post pics?
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks

Re: I need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealingpetunias View Post
    I have a male bearded dragon about five years of age. I know I'm doing something wrong. Today I plan to put in a terrarium liner as well as a cat bed. The reason I want to put a cat bed in his tank is because he never seems comfortable! He can't sleep at night and tries to get out. When I take him out and put him on a pillow he falls right to sleep. Would a cat bed in his tank be a bad idea? I also got him a soft microfiber towel, is that alright?

Also, what would be a good way to disinfect the tank when I clean it? I read that baby wipes are good to use when cleaning the tank but I've read a lot of things that I also know aren't good for him.

He he also has a large water dish that takes up about half his tank. When he was younger he would lay in it. Now he just drinks out of it from time to time. Should I replace the big water dish. With a smaller one to give him more space? He doesn't seem to do much with his old age but feel as though he would if he had more space

i know I sound like a horrible person for not already knowing these things but I got him as a gift when I was younger and didn't have the best knowledge on taking care of any pets. I was you and stupid. Now I have a job and more knowledge and I'm trying the best I can to do good by all my pets
    There are so many questions that you need to answer here before anyone can even begin to point you in a direction:

-What is the size of the enclosure?
    -What is the Current Substrate you use?
    -What is in the enclosure?
    -What are the temp (ambient and hot spot)?
    -What is the humidity at?
    -How are you achieving and monitoring temps?
    -Are you providing UVB?
    -What does his diet consist of (what types of greens, insects, how often does he eat, do you dust with D3 and Calcium Powder)?

The list goes on, pictures always help, putting a cat bed and towel in the enclosure is a terrible idea, right up there with reptile carpet, it harbors bacteria. '

Cleaning the cage can be done via spot treatment, then deep cleaned on a regular basis with the animal out of the cage

5 years old is not OLD for a Beardie they live in excess of 15 years when cared for correctly. From your description it sounds like your husbandry, there is no nice way to say it, just plain wrong. If his water dish covers up half his tank, then I will venture to guess that he is in too small of an enclosure.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealingpetunias View Post

No offense, but did you do ANY research on beardies before setting up an enclosure?

Thanks
    Desert lizard. Low humidity. Giant water dish = bad. I don't even have one in my tank. Hydration via fresh greens, insects, and a10-15 minute soak (warm water) twice a week. If they have moist poo and urates, they're well hydrated.

Edit: beardeddragon.org will help. Forum community like this one for BDs
    Last edited by Trogdorpheus; 06-10-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    How big is the enclosure and can you post pics?
    He actually has a pretty large enclosure, I don't think I can post pictures with the device I'm using but I will once I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdorpheus View Post
    Desert lizard. Low humidity. Giant water dish = bad. I don't even have one in my tank. Hydration via fresh greens, insects, and a10-15 minute soak (warm water) twice a week. If they have moist poo and urates, they're well hydrated.

Edit: beardeddragon.org will help. Forum community like this one for BDs
    Thank you! I'll check it out