Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,083

2 members and 2,081 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

My female snake acts strange..opinions?

Okay. I am a new member here. However I have gotten a lot of info from this site before I ever signed up! This is my first post~I'll try to keep it short (go easy on me lol be nice

a lil background~I have had assorted snakes in the past. And currently own three snakes. (2 bp, 1 redtail boa). My 2 female bps I got from a friend of mine who breeds bps. They are both from last years clutches and are only a month apart in age. They are kept in identical terrariums. I use a UTH with occasional heat lamps when it gets cool in the room. I monitor the temps closely as well as humidity. Now my question lies in the difference between my two snakes. I offer them both half-logs which are pushed up against the back of the enclosure, so they are open only on one side. I keep the temp appropriate and monitor all of my snakes closely because I enjoy them very much. However my normal bp hides all day, only comes out occasionally in the evening, or when she gets hungry. This is what I have always experienced with my snakes in the past as well. She is docile and gets handled often, and she prefers the comfort, warmth, and security of her hide. (I was very careful to select logs that weren't too roomy so they felt snug!)..but my fireXspider bp (the yellow one in my pic-she was smaller in the pic that was when I first got her)...she is always out and cruising around! I know she is settled in because I have had them for over 8 or 9 months. She never hides. Even when sleeping, she will curl up in the middle of the floor (usually near the hide-it's the same temp where she lays as it is In her hide because I checked with the laser thermometer out of curiosity)...or she will lay on top of the log, on her branch, or on her water dish. When she isn't sleeping she is cruising around and VERY active. It's odd to me because of all the snakes I have owned bedore~I have never had one that never hides. Never seen one so active and always on the move. She doesn't seem stressed. Eats every week. Sometimes two baby rats in one meal. She's handled almost daily and enjoys it. Often cuddling up and even falling asleep on me. I don't feel that it's due to stress as she eats so well and readily comes to me on her own. I just don't know if it's normal because I've never seen a snake act like she does. I'm sorry I was so long winded but I wanted to include as much Info as I could think of. She also has a slight "wobble" to her as many spider bps do. But it doesn't interfere with her ability to eat and she is very healthy. Just not as strong physically as my normal. But she has a clean bill of health from the vet-that's just how she is physically. Not too strong. Any ideas why she may be so active or why she isnt hiding? Also I wanted to add that I have offered other hides as well! Small boxes, crumpled paper, all kinds! She rejects them all! Is this normal? She also prefers to be with people than in her cage. I've tested this theory. She will crawl from her cage to sit on me if left open. Every time. Is this normal? Should I worry?
    Last edited by Tastykake; 06-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    As long as your specs are within appropriate ranges there really isn't anything to worry about. In the decades that I have had snakes, I have noticed that most snakes have distinct 'personalities,' and are very rarely the same. If the snake is eating, shedding and growing at a healthy rate then I wouldn't worry at all. Just chalk it up to be 'unique.'

Thanks

Re: My female snake acts strange..opinions?

Definitely nothing to worry about as long as she is eating, shedding and pooping along with the rest of your snakes.

I have 8 ball pythons, and one of them is the exact same kind of weirdo. We tried him with several different hides when we first got him, and he ignored them all, sleeping with a small part of his body inside the hide, lying on top of it, or on the other side of the tank completely. So we took out the hide, and gave him some extra foliage. He loves it! He's also my very best eater out of the 8.

Here is a picture I snapped of him this morning. This is where he usually sleeps.

He did seem just as happy with no foliage at all, just sleeping totally out in the open, too - but I think it looks nicer this way.
    Last edited by KitaCat; 06-08-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    0.2 Caramel Albino, 0.1 Caravanah, 0.1 Mojave Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter Pinstripe, 0.0.1 Normal, 1.0 Fire, 1.0 Spider, 1.0 Pastel Calico

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Iris
    1.1 Boa Constrictor Constrictor - Scarlet & Handsome Jack
    1.0 Woma Python - Nigel
    0.1 Corn Snake - Maisie
    1.1 Red Eared Sliders - Esteban & Dolores

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Everything seems ok. Are your heating elements on a thermostat? Other thing I was thinking is to maybe include a different type of hide. She probably is searching for one to her liking? Good luck!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KitaCat View Post
    Definitely nothing to worry about as long as she is eating, shedding and pooping along with the rest of your snakes.

I have 8 ball pythons, and one of them is the exact same kind of weirdo. We tried him with several different hides when we first got him, and he ignored them all, sleeping with a small part of his body inside the hide, lying on top of it, or on the other side of the tank completely. So we took out the hide, and gave him some extra foliage. He loves it! He's also my very best eater out of the 8.

Here is a picture I snapped of him this morning. This is where he usually sleeps.

He did seem just as happy with no foliage at all, just sleeping totally out in the open, too - but I think it looks nicer this way.

i think that you must be right. I've been very diligent with keeping the temps proper and I've offered many diff types of hides. It helps a lot to hear that somebody else has been through this with their snake! It's a great idea to try some foliage! I hadn't thought of that!! She loves her big stick for climbing and scratching on...she would probably LOVE a little bit of foliage to hang out in! I will definitely give that a try! Thank you so much for calming my fears! In all of these months I felt so bad that I could not find what she seemed to "like", and get her to settle down. And perhaps now I can just accept that fact that she's just a strange little girl... Lol I will get my little weirdo a bit of greenery tonight!

Thanks

Thank you so much! I have been so worried and have been trying everything for all these months! She's a very pretty & very sweet little girl & I very much want her to be content! Perhaps she just likes to sleep in the open & spend lots of time everyday trying to climb out of her terrarium! Lol whatever it is~I am happy to hear that she is most likely okay. I felt like I must have been overlooking something! Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Thanks

No problem! I'm glad to alleviate your fears. I think too often we as keepers worry too much that we're doing something wrong, when it's just a quirk of the individual snake/the species in general.

It reminds me of new mothers obsessing over why their babies won't sleep through the night / talk as quickly as their friends' kids / whatever, and they turn out completely fine. Haha
    0.2 Caramel Albino, 0.1 Caravanah, 0.1 Mojave Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter Pinstripe, 0.0.1 Normal, 1.0 Fire, 1.0 Spider, 1.0 Pastel Calico

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Iris
    1.1 Boa Constrictor Constrictor - Scarlet & Handsome Jack
    1.0 Woma Python - Nigel
    0.1 Corn Snake - Maisie
    1.1 Red Eared Sliders - Esteban & Dolores