Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

3 members and 2,953 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

BP/Retic Pythons

This probably could have gone in the General Pythons section, but I'm curious specifically about the BP/Retic hybrids. I didn't even realize it was a thing until the other day. Can someone please explain why people do these hybrids? Does it make the offspring sterile? Any health issues as well? Does it make the value of a snake go up or down? And what about the offspring from these snakes (if they can have any) - is it "bad" to have a BP with retic in it? Do people try and sell BP's with retic in them without specifying that it has retic - basically is it something you have to watch out for?
    Thanks in advance
    1.1 Mojave
    0.1 Super Pastel Congo
    0.1 Pastel Het. Pied
    1.0 Nuclear
    1.0 Pied
    1.1 Spider
    1.0 Spinnerblast
    1.0 Calico Ringer
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pastel

Thanks
    Usually these mixes are extremely rare and expensive. I think the most common hybrid is the bateater, which is a cross between a retic and a burm. Ive heard of burm x ball mixes, but have never seen a burm x retic. Likely it would be sterile. People are always trying to stay ahead of the breeding curve and make something unique.

Thanks

Re: BP/Retic Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Usually these mixes are extremely rare and expensive. I think the most common hybrid is the bateater, which is a cross between a retic and a burm. Ive heard of burm x ball mixes, but have never seen a burm x retic. Likely it would be sterile. People are always trying to stay ahead of the breeding curve and make something unique.
    But not ball python and retics...?
    1.1 Mojave
    0.1 Super Pastel Congo
    0.1 Pastel Het. Pied
    1.0 Nuclear
    1.0 Pied
    1.1 Spider
    1.0 Spinnerblast
    1.0 Calico Ringer
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pastel

Thanks
    Hybrids are generally pretty worthless because the demand for them is almost nonexistant, therefore you almost never see hybrids available. They don't have any place in a breeding collection for a hobby that values purity in the animals being sold, so their only value is as an an oddity.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've seen some really truly extraordinary hybrids. Animals that if they were purebred would be tens of thousands of dollars. But they are hybrids, thus they are like 50 bucks. I don't want them, most don't want them. And real issues arise when they look like one species and because they aren't selling as hybrids they get sold as purebred animals that look "slightly different, it could be genetic give me 500 bucks" even though they are sort of garbage animals. I don't think there is anything wrong with people keeping them as a pet, but the average pet owner doesn't even want a hybrid.

It's a stupid practice and overall harmful to the hobby as a whole in my opinion.

Thanks
    I would have a bateater, I think they're pretty. It would be for just a pet, but I could see it making moving hard (Lacey Act, anyone?). My only thing would be if they have like a higher mortality rate, I would not support it at all, cause that's not needed just to make something a little different.

That said, if I could get a super dwarf retic x burm cross... I would love it. I love the look of burms but they're just so big!
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    I would have a bateater, I think they're pretty. It would be for just a pet, but I could see it making moving hard (Lacey Act, anyone?). My only thing would be if they have like a higher mortality rate, I would not support it at all, cause that's not needed just to make something a little different.

That said, if I could get a super dwarf retic x burm cross... I would love it. I love the look of burms but they're just so big!
    There are "half dwarf" burms out there
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    There are "half dwarf" burms out there
    This is something my husband would probably rather I didn't know. TY so much
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....