Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One last thing, for now haha, is a male or female easier to train or overall an more laid back individual or does it not matter when it comes to the gender?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

I would ask a professional trainer.

However for me, for over 30 years I had,had only males. Then after having my first few females, I have never gone back to a male in 25 years.
    Mine have been more loyal and MUCH easier to train.

Last edited by Reinz; 06-08-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    I don't think gender matters. Many people have a preference for various reasons.

I prefer females, I don't like dealing with marking and humping. I know some females do this as well but it's not as common. Both my girls mark but it's all outside.

I have a friend that prefers boys, she feels they are more goofy and sweeter. No idea if it's true, my girls are pretty sweet

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HVani For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-08-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I would ask a professional trainer.

However for me, for over 30 years I had,had only males. Then after having my first few females, I have never gone back to a male in 25 years.
    Mine have been more loyal and MUCH easier to train.
    Gotcha, I'll try for a female then!

And a question(s) regarding handling:
    I was looking through some classes in my area and came across what seemed like a few good places, however they offer a variety of classes/levels. What I'm looking for in a companion is to be able to have the basic foundation (sit, stay, quiet, come when the name is called, lay down, wait till the food reaches the ground and then given a command to eat, and other things along of that line) and some more advanced things such as staying near me when off the leash and when going on hikes proper recall when name is called once. Also, if they have separation anxiety, I'd like to take care of that.

Another thing to add- I'll have anywhere from a 2-2 1/2 month gap while at home to take classes. Then I'll be off for grad schooling. Not saying I won't be able to attend classes then, but I feel like it would be better to get a private trainer then since they are more flexible opposed to class timings.

These are some of the classes that are offered at the local place:
    Puppy Class (socialization, basic commands, potty train) 3-6 months of age
    CGC Class 6+ months
    Beginner Obedience Class (On leash)
    Obedience Off leash

And then after the classes I'll get a private trainer.

I'm thinking all of those classes would be really helpful, but since I also aim on getting a private trainer, some won't be needed. Or should I just scrap the idea of a private trainer and invest my money in the cheaper (overall) group classes? Total, the classes I mentioned were 30 weeks and I would be saving a bit of money.

What do you guys think would suite dog better?

Thanks
    Start with Puppy classes and build a solid foundation even after the classes are done. For CGC I would wait until your dog is at least 2 years. That way they are usually out of their teenage stage and will be a bit more mature. CGC is tough and requires you dog to be calm in well behaved in a bunch of different scenarios.

I don't foresee you being able to complete all those classes in 2.5 months. Your puppy needs time to grow and mature in order to be able to focus on more obedience.

Puppies have a very short attention span. Once they grow a bit they are better focused and willing to listen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HVani For This Useful Post:

Reinz (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I agree with HVani.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HVani View Post
    Start with Puppy classes and build a solid foundation even after the classes are done. For CGC I would wait until your dog is at least 2 years. That way they are usually out of their teenage stage and will be a bit more mature. CGC is tough and requires you dog to be calm in well behaved in a bunch of different scenarios.

I don't foresee you being able to complete all those classes in 2.5 months. Your puppy needs time to grow and mature in order to be able to focus on more obedience.

Puppies have a very short attention span. Once they grow a bit they are better focused and willing to listen.
    What age can it start going to Puppy classes? I was at least wanting it to go the Puppy class during the summer and then after I train with it more (few months), by myself, I can move on to CGC. Then after the CGC I was going to take it on a 'trial' hike and see if it would listen to what I was doing or not, and if not, I would take it to the obedience class or get a professional trainer.

Thanks
    Once they have their shots they can go to puppy classes. Just double check with the class rules.

I use to teach puppy classes. They are a lot of fun. Play time is mixed in with training since their attention span is so short. I love watching puppies play ♥

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HVani View Post
    Once they have their shots they can go to puppy classes. Just double check with the class rules.

I use to teach puppy classes. They are a lot of fun. Play time is mixed in with training since their attention span is so short. I love watching puppies play ♥
    How fast do puppies learn commands (like sit, stay, quiet, etc.) if I may ask? And what sort of commands do you learn in the class?

And about how long would it take them to get potty trained?

Thanks!

Thanks
    It's all gonna depend on the individual dog. My personal dogs have been terriers. Very smart but very stubborn and can be difficult to train.

Dogs I have worked with have been all over the map. Some just don't get it, while others get it after a couple repetitions. You just need to practice. And not just in class, outside, inside, at your house, someone else's house ect. Dogs are not great at generalizing. They may know sit really well at home but while at the pet store they look at you like they have never heard the word before.

Potty Training I would say about 2 weeks, your pup should have it. As long as you have frequent potty breaks. They just can't hold it very long.

Stuff you learn in class is typically things like, Sit, Down, Stay, Leave It, Recall, Wait, Loose Leash Walking, How to greet people, Stuff like that.
    Some classes teach a few extras like Stand, Go to your Place, Touch (I love this game, it helps dogs learn hands are fun. I use it when we are having to wait somewhere. My dog loves to be moving so we play Touch).

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast