Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

2 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    If you're looking for some help with training, I found a set of videos by a dog trainer named Michael Ellis. They are absolutely fantastic, IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...w=1920&bih=955
    He's with Leerburg - they have a fantastic website too:

http://leerburg.com/

Forrest Micke is also with Leerburg and he also has some great videos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...+forrest+micke
    Last edited by rabernet; 06-08-2015 at 08:44 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

200xth (06-08-2015),Pampho85 (06-08-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No, you should talk to as many breeders as possible. Make sure they know you are a first time owner. If they seem leery about selling you a pup, thats a breeder i would look at closely, because the welfare of their pups are more important then the money. Don't limit yourself to breeders that are only a drive away, pups are flown cross country every day. Ome of my pups actually went to Isreal, The owner came to see my litter when he was on vacation and he fell in love with the dogs, so 4 visits later and after meeting with his family, he went home with a lovely male pup as a friend for his great dane. He was good as his word and kept in contact with me. So don't be afraid to look for quality rather then distance. If you talk to a breeder and you are not comfortable with them, look elsewhere. If you find a great breeder and they don't have pups right now, be patient, you might have to wait. most good breeders will usually know another breeder who has or will have pups available. Remember this is a 12 - 15 year comitment so be patient. I remember all of my pup were spoken for by the time the litter was born. I never advertised. My litters were always large 10 - 12 pups per litter. Make sure the breed is a family decision. If you have any questions i would love to help. Just remember those national breed clubs, they are your best bet to find a quality breeder. Ask a lot of questions, if they seem bothered by them, find another breeder. i use to spend at leas an hour or more on first contact, and i either set up a visit, talked them out of the breed, or flatly refused to considered selling them one of my babies. Bloodhounds are a giant breed and only live 9-11 years and their lives should be as happy as you can make them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-08-2015)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    He's with Leerburg - they have a fantastic website too:

http://leerburg.com/

Forrest Micke is also with Leerburg and he also has some great videos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...+forrest+micke
    I'll have to checkout the Micke videos. I did find Ellis through the Leerburg site. Overall that is a very good site as well.

Ellis' ideas and methods kind of clicked for me, so I've just stuck to his videos for now. I've made huge strides with my 4 month old puppy using his videos and training techniques. I'm gonna check out the Micke videos tonight though. Thanks.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

rabernet (06-09-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    No, you should talk to as many breeders as possible. Make sure they know you are a first time owner. If they seem leery about selling you a pup, thats a breeder i would look at closely, because the welfare of their pups are more important then the money. Don't limit yourself to breeders that are only a drive away, pups are flown cross country every day. Ome of my pups actually went to Isreal, The owner came to see my litter when he was on vacation and he fell in love with the dogs, so 4 visits later and after meeting with his family, he went home with a lovely male pup as a friend for his great dane. He was good as his word and kept in contact with me. So don't be afraid to look for quality rather then distance. If you talk to a breeder and you are not comfortable with them, look elsewhere. If you find a great breeder and they don't have pups right now, be patient, you might have to wait. most good breeders will usually know another breeder who has or will have pups available. Remember this is a 12 - 15 year comitment so be patient. I remember all of my pup were spoken for by the time the litter was born. I never advertised. My litters were always large 10 - 12 pups per litter. Make sure the breed is a family decision. If you have any questions i would love to help. Just remember those national breed clubs, they are your best bet to find a quality breeder. Ask a lot of questions, if they seem bothered by them, find another breeder. i use to spend at leas an hour or more on first contact, and i either set up a visit, talked them out of the breed, or flatly refused to considered selling them one of my babies. Bloodhounds are a giant breed and only live 9-11 years and their lives should be as happy as you can make them.
    Thanks! So if someone seems leary, I should cross them out or should I be more persistent? Sorry didn't quite get the part aha.

Whenever I talk to another breeder, I'll try not to ask about the money part as I don't want them to think it's all about money, because it's really not (however if a puppy is $2500, I probably won't be able to get it aha). I actually want the breeder to be driving distance away tbh, I want to check out their facility and I'd like to meet with the breeders and the puppies parents, as this will be my first dog so I want to do everything like that (then for the second dog I wouldn't mind it being flown in haha). I don't mind waiting, however, there's a small time window that I'll be able to get the puppy in. It'll be between the beginning of the 2018 year till May of 2018 (or maybe even August, but I'd like to potty train it by then). I know that it's pushing it and all, but I'd like to familiarize the puppy with my family, and be able to spend at least a month or two with it before I start my grad schooling. It's a short time space so that's why I'll try talking to a range of breeders to see who usually has pups during the summer time or earlier on in the year.

And the deposits are usually made before the pups are even born? So if I'm dead set on having a puppy I should probably put the money down by the 2017 year, if they're forsure breeding the parents to have a litter during that time period?

Thanks
    The best time of year for you is the time that most breeders have puppies ready to go to new homes.

My opinion is that the breeder doesn't have to be a show breeder but they have to be doing something with their dogs. Agility, obedience, therapy are good choices. Hunting lines make smart dogs but they can be too high energy. It doesn't happen often anymore but a puppy that is not suitable as an assistance dog can be a great find.

Health checks on the parents are always a must.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's_Mom View Post
    The best time of year for you is the time that most breeders have puppies ready to go to new homes.

My opinion is that the breeder doesn't have to be a show breeder but they have to be doing something with their dogs. Agility, obedience, therapy are good choices. Hunting lines make smart dogs but they can be too high energy. It doesn't happen often anymore but a puppy that is not suitable as an assistance dog can be a great find.

Health checks on the parents are always a must.
    I'm not looking for show breeders so to speak either since they mainly breed the English type labs and from what I heard they're not as good with outdoorsy things like the American types are. I'll make sure I look for those characteristics!

I know this might have been mentioned already, what kind of health checks in particular? I know they have to have been OFA and CERF certified, but what else?

Thanks!

Thanks
    There are test for heart health. Another test that can now be checked via DNA is EIC. Exercise Induced Collapse. It has killed and caused life long health issues. A good thing to ask the breeder about since you plan to be very active and outdoors with your dog.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There are test for heart health. Another test that can now be checked via DNA is EIC. Exercise Induced Collapse. It has killed and caused life long health issues. A good thing to ask the breeder about since you plan to be very active and outdoors with your dog.
    Thanks!

I've noticed that some breeders don't test for EIC or Heart Health but they do have OFA and CERF certifications, should they be crossed off the list if they don't have the first two tested?

Thanks
    EIC is not a common test yet. Heart is a common test. If I had the time to shop around for a breeder and the time to save up, I would prefer a puppy from parents with those tests done. It can raise the price but not to any serious degree.

I do know the EIC needs the gene from both parents to be symptomatic. You are likely not planning to breed so if the breeder can show that one parent has been tested, you will be okay but your puppy may be a carrier. That isn't an issue unless you plan to breed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

EIC is not a common test yet. Heart is a common test. If I had the time to shop around for a breeder and the time to save up, I would prefer a puppy from parents with those tests done. It can raise the price but not to any serious degree.

I do know the EIC needs the gene from both parents to be symptomatic. You are likely not planning to breed so if the breeder can show that one parent has been tested, you will be okay but your puppy may be a carrier. That isn't an issue unless you plan to breed.
    Yea, I'm not planning to breed so that's fine then. I'll look mainly for the hearth health and the certifications then, if they are tested for EIC then that'll be a plus haha.

Thanks so much!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast