Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

2 members and 3,397 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    A breeder that keeps a puppy until it is 9-10 weeks is a good breeder. They learn a lot from the dam and the siblings in that week or two. As for obedience, right away!!! lol. The only difference is how long the training sessions are and that it is more play for the puppy than anything negative. You see the puppy about to sit, say "sit". Every time you put the puppy in the crate, say crate or place or kennel. Gentle voice and hands can teach a lot in minutes. The more formal training is to reinforce commands when there are distractions. Begin as you intend to live with the puppy until it dies of old age. Training times is just like age/crate times but it is in minutes and not hours. 2 months old, 2 minutes tops and the puppy considers it playtime more than formal training. 1 or 2 minute sessions 5 or 6 or 10 times a day after naps and exercise is better than one 10 minute session for a puppy.

Every interaction with a puppy is training IMO. Basic commands such as sit/stay can be used for everything. Feeding time at the zoo? Have the food ready in the bowl on the counter and use sit until the bowl is on the floor and ALWAYS have a release command. As the pup gets older and has the focus to stay sitting, use the sit command earlier, such as when you are getting the food out of the container. I don't suggest using "okay", its too easy for a person to say it and not mean it as a command. I use "Alright." because I don't say it often but its still easy to think and say. Every time you walk out a door with the puppy, the bathroom door, the bedroom door, outside door, say sit, walk through then alright command. Helps with dominance and I hate a dog that lunges out the door. Do this from the first day and every day, it won't become a problem. Same for putting on the leash.

It is ALWAYS easier to train then slacken off as they get older compared to trying to train an older pup. When they are 1-2 years is when you will want to shave your hair off so you aren't pulling it out. Train them when they still love and adore you lol. Use the fact they believe the sun rises and sets on your butt ruthlessly but gently.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Monty's_Mom For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's_Mom View Post
    A breeder that keeps a puppy until it is 9-10 weeks is a good breeder. They learn a lot from the dam and the siblings in that week or two. As for obedience, right away!!! lol. The only difference is how long the training sessions are and that it is more play for the puppy than anything negative. You see the puppy about to sit, say "sit". Every time you put the puppy in the crate, say crate or place or kennel. Gentle voice and hands can teach a lot in minutes. The more formal training is to reinforce commands when there are distractions. Begin as you intend to live with the puppy until it dies of old age. Training times is just like age/crate times but it is in minutes and not hours. 2 months old, 2 minutes tops and the puppy considers it playtime more than formal training. 1 or 2 minute sessions 5 or 6 or 10 times a day after naps and exercise is better than one 10 minute session for a puppy.

Every interaction with a puppy is training IMO. Basic commands such as sit/stay can be used for everything. Feeding time at the zoo? Have the food ready in the bowl on the counter and use sit until the bowl is on the floor and ALWAYS have a release command. As the pup gets older and has the focus to stay sitting, use the sit command earlier, such as when you are getting the food out of the container. I don't suggest using "okay", its too easy for a person to say it and not mean it as a command. I use "Alright." because I don't say it often but its still easy to think and say. Every time you walk out a door with the puppy, the bathroom door, the bedroom door, outside door, say sit, walk through then alright command. Helps with dominance and I hate a dog that lunges out the door. Do this from the first day and every day, it won't become a problem. Same for putting on the leash.

It is ALWAYS easier to train then slacken off as they get older compared to trying to train an older pup. When they are 1-2 years is when you will want to shave your hair off so you aren't pulling it out. Train them when they still love and adore you lol. Use the fact they believe the sun rises and sets on your butt ruthlessly but gently.
    Okay, I'll try looking for breeders that keep the puppies for that long. Haha, I'll do that! I was told before to take them to a group training session first then get a private trainer after the training there has ended. Do you think that is right? Also, how much money usually goes in training? Gotcha, I can picture myself following the puppy everywhere and saying something to it whenever it sits or lays down haha.

That makes sense, I'll try to think of some command words in the meantime! And that would be great to have the dog do that for every room and such. Can't wait to see what my training will result it. Would you recommend gently pushing the pups bottom down to teach them sit better? I heard some people do that. Do you also train them to walk next to you instead of in front of you? I'd love to walk the dog in some places without a leash.

Haha, I definitely will train them younger on. Do you think they'll be properly trained by one year old if done everything correctly or will it take a bit more time?

Thanks
    Group training is only for when all the vaccination boosters are done which is around 6 months old. Group training can be great, again all about homework. Petsmart etc can be okay or it can be horrible. Individual training is the same thing. Gently pushing on the rump when the puppy is calm can work well. Don't say sit until after they are sitting. Dogs of any age can resist the pressure and timing is everything when they are young.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Monty's_Mom For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's_Mom View Post
    Group training is only for when all the vaccination boosters are done which is around 6 months old. Group training can be great, again all about homework. Petsmart etc can be okay or it can be horrible. Individual training is the same thing. Gently pushing on the rump when the puppy is calm can work well. Don't say sit until after they are sitting. Dogs of any age can resist the pressure and timing is everything when they are young.
    Gotcha! Is the same that can be said with training them by saying 'Quiet'? Only say it when they're silent or is there another way of doing so?

Thanks
    I would just like to chime in pretty quick with a potty training secret; get yourself a bell on a rope to hang from the door. Whenever the puppy rings the bell (you can teach them this by reaching down to swat the bells every time you take them out) you take them outside right away. My pup learned pretty quick that ringing the bell meant he got to go out, and within two weeks of hanging up the bells he quit having accidents inside. Super simple, and it works with the rest of the potty training tips here.

You can make your own, but a lot of pet stores/online retailers now sell potty training bells.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    I would just like to chime in pretty quick with a potty training secret; get yourself a bell on a rope to hang from the door. Whenever the puppy rings the bell (you can teach them this by reaching down to swat the bells every time you take them out) you take them outside right away. My pup learned pretty quick that ringing the bell meant he got to go out, and within two weeks of hanging up the bells he quit having accidents inside. Super simple, and it works with the rest of the potty training tips here.

You can make your own, but a lot of pet stores/online retailers now sell potty training bells.
    Wow, didn't know that, and that would make things a lot easier. But wouldn't the problem be that they ring it just for the fun of it? Or did you train it a different way?

Edit: Just watched some videos of it and saw that it said it might condition the puppy for jumping on people? That's one of the things I want to train out since jumping on my parents and family would quickly send them running aha
    Last edited by Pampho85; 06-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, this is a topic i can get into. I have had many breeds and for 20 years we showed and bred bloodhounds. The dogs on your list are all nice but have drawbacks, the dogs that are in the hound group are either going to be scent, nose to the ground and hard to control when on scent, can never be off lead. the greyhound and other sight hounds see something like a bird a cat a rabbit and woosh off they go no lead no stopping them. hounds are the hardest group to obidience train, that is why you never see many in the obedience competitions. the sporting dogs are similar but easier to train to off lead commands. my choice of the best on your list is either a lab, or a golden. They are very smart, that is why they as with the german shepard are used to lead the blind. i have a belgiun tervern and he is a very smart as are all herdind dogs, and are tireless. jack, is my companion dog he sits with me and will find things i drop and pick them up and put them in my lap. I am disabled and have very poor vision. he protects me and keeps me from tripping over things on the floor.

I also love the pit bulls but because of all the bad owners, not bad dogs, many places now automaticlly fine you if any pit bull or pit mix is run off lead, but they are very smart and extremlly trainable. Hope this helps you. I worked for a adoption center doing breed counceling trying to match people and pets, The one aim was if you get the right dog for yourself and family, we would never have to re-home it later.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    If you're looking for some help with training, I found a set of videos by a dog trainer named Michael Ellis. They are absolutely fantastic, IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...w=1920&bih=955
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015),rabernet (06-08-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    when you are looking for a breeder, make sure they don't just breed, make sure they show their dogs. Good breeders only want the best so they are careful breeding and are breeding for not only conformation, but to better the breed health wise. for large breeds they will have the hips cleared by a group called the orthopedict foundation of america OFA, also they may clear the elbows too. This is done for the parents of the pups. Also ask if they cleared the parents for hearts. If they are reputable they will know what you are talking about, If they don't what you are talking about, walk away. I don't care what anyone says too you, every dog has medical problems inherant with thier breed. Be very aware of what to look for. Also every breed has a national club with a website, once you have narrowed your choice down to 2 or 3 do your research and go to these national clubs. Breeders in good standing will be members and you can talk to them. Reputable breeders love their breed and will talk to you forever and will answer any question, Ask about their sales contract and their requirments. if they have none walk away. I never let a pup go without a sales contract. Make sure that in their contract it says that if for any reason you can't keep the dog at any time in its life, they will take it back. That was one of my stipulations for a sale. I knew where every one of my pups went and where and when they passed from this life. It also shows that a good breeder will not just sell you a pup, but will be there for the long haul. You are a new dog owner and will need all the support a good breeder can give, also all the breed knowledge on your breed they have.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blue roses For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    when you are looking for a breeder, make sure they don't just breed, make sure they show their dogs. Good breeders only want the best so they are careful breeding and are breeding for not only conformation, but to better the breed health wise. for large breeds they will have the hips cleared by a group called the orthopedict foundation of america OFA, also they may clear the elbows too. This is done for the parents of the pups. Also ask if they cleared the parents for hearts. If they are reputable they will know what you are talking about, If they don't what you are talking about, walk away. I don't care what anyone says too you, every dog has medical problems inherant with thier breed. Be very aware of what to look for. Also every breed has a national club with a website, once you have narrowed your choice down to 2 or 3 do your research and go to these national clubs. Breeders in good standing will be members and you can talk to them. Reputable breeders love their breed and will talk to you forever and will answer any question, Ask about their sales contract and their requirments. if they have none walk away. I never let a pup go without a sales contract. Make sure that in their contract it says that if for any reason you can't keep the dog at any time in its life, they will take it back. That was one of my stipulations for a sale. I knew where every one of my pups went and where and when they passed from this life. It also shows that a good breeder will not just sell you a pup, but will be there for the long haul. You are a new dog owner and will need all the support a good breeder can give, also all the breed knowledge on your breed they have.
    Thanks for the reply!

And that's what I was looking for! So far I've narrowed it down to five, however just contacted one. I emailed one expressing my interest in buying a pup in the 2018 year and was wondering about the reservation fee and when to pay it. I want to sort of build up a conversation they trust me, being a first time dog owner and all. Is this a bad idea and should I have not sent the message?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast