Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

0 members and 3,247 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

I have a bit more time now to share a few of my favorite breeds which have been part of the family over the years.

Australian Shepherds were a staple to our pack of yard dogs growing up. Ours were excellent watch dogs, yappers through and through, with extremely strong herding instincts. Every other animal in the yard, including people, were pretty used to being nipped on the heels when straying too far from the rest of the herd. They have a rather unruly, long coat that will pick up any and every thing they trek through. Instead of constant grooming we simply sheered ours a few times a year, like sheep. Very smart, loyal, plenty of energy but probably not the best choice as a hiking companion.

Akitas were another constant growing up, also our main protectors of family and property. They have extremely strong hunting and protecting instincts so care must be taken around other animals. This also makes them unsuitable hiking partners if off a lead. Ours were never overly aggressive towards people and seemed to adopt our general attitude in any given situation. When friends were over, they would be loving and playful even with kids they had never met. When we weren't there though, or if a stranger we were unsure of approached, their natural instincts to protect would take over. The dogs would split, one always staying between family and threat while the other stealthily(amazingly so for a large breed) circled around to take position out of the intruder's line of sight. None ever attacked, bit or even so much as barked at a stranger - they didn't have to - as their general presence and behavior were plenty enough. Probably not the best choice for a first time dog owner as they can be strong willed and resistant to training but I have never met an animal more naturally inclined to protect, or suitable to the task, in all my years.

Standard poodles were our indoor/outdoor dogs and it's hard to explain how great these animals are to those who haven't personally experienced them. My folks produced a few litters over the years and probably 9/10 of the people who bought pups explained that they had one growing up and wanted the same experience for their own kids. They are loving, protective, playful, high energy, reserved, friendly, goofy - basically they are what you need them to be and then some. Just don't give them those ridiculous show ring cuts and you have the perfect, all around companion. If you do end up getting a standard poodle I'll just go ahead and say this now. You're welcome.

Thanks
    I'm little surprised no one has mentioned a border collie yet. If you want a smart, very trainable dog with the energy to follow you all day long, a border collie is a tough breed to beat. Top choice of breeds for sports like agility because of their remarkable intelligence and incredible athleticism. Not to mention border collies tend to be snugglers, which I adore. They're also medium sized, and while I love the big dogs I have to admit a 60 pound snugglebug is easier to deal with than a 120 pound loaf. My brothers shepherd/rott can not be moved once he takes a seat, and his enthusiasm for greeting friends will knock you off your feet if you aren't seated.

I've also had German shepherds, which make for excellent family dogs due to their incredibly loyal nature and high intelligence. They're great dogs and I have known several very outdoorsy people who had them and took them everywhere (hiking, camping, you name it). Though a lot of them tend to face some pretty serious health problems either fairly early or pretty late in their life.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    the more I learned about the health BENEFITS of delayed neuter, the more my thinking on that has changed. It also allows healthier joint growth - golden retrievers neutered by 6 months are taller than breed standard and double their chances of devoloping hip and/or elboy dysplasia than those that are delayed until 18 months to 2 years old. Also, the shorter goldens (delayed neuter) are living on average 2 years loinger than their early neutered counterparts. My vet gave me a high 5 when I told him that we were choosing delayed neuter, and may not neuter at all when Noah gets to 2 years old. He said it was so refreshing to have a client that didn't drink the spay/neuter kool-aid, and was concerned for the long term health implications for their animal instead.

In any case, I now advocate that if you feel you will spend the time training your dog, and managing him, that delayed spay and neuter are absolutely essential in large breed dogs for healthy joint development and not accelerating bone growth when hormones are removed, and in some cases, for delaying the onset of pre-dispositioned cancers. You can google "delayed neuter" to read more about UC Davis' findings on delayed neuter.
    The breeder I bought my puppy from a few months ago said basically the same thing. There's a number of health and development benefits for the dog, and to delay neutering if at all possible. Two years will be the earliest I will think about neutering him, and I may decide to just forego it altogether.

To address the original question in the thread, I would say go with a German Shepherd. Smart, loyal, very trainable, protective, rugged and durable, they meet all of your requirements except the shedding one. Brush them once a day. It keeps their fur under control and it gives you a few minutes each day to bond with your dog.
    Last edited by 200xth; 06-05-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

rabernet (06-08-2015)

Thanks

I think the best dog for you is a pit bull. Besides their horrible reputation, they are really great dogs. Smart, obedient, they don't require grooming, and they are super friendly. I've dealt with a few pits in my life and all of them are wonderful dogs that I would gladly take home. Another option is a St.Bernard, if you don't mind size. They can be a bit more maintenance but they are friendly and would do anything for you. I wouldn't suggest a Weimaraner for a first time owner as they can be tricky to train. And lots of huskys don't really bond to their owners like other dogs. Anyways, hope I helped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fender09 View Post
    I think the best dog for you is a pit bull. Besides their horrible reputation, they are really great dogs. Smart, obedient, they don't require grooming, and they are super friendly. I've dealt with a few pits in my life and all of them are wonderful dogs that I would gladly take home. Another option is a St.Bernard, if you don't mind size. They can be a bit more maintenance but they are friendly and would do anything for you. I wouldn't suggest a Weimaraner for a first time owner as they can be tricky to train. And lots of huskys don't really bond to their owners like other dogs. Anyways, hope I helped.

I second pit. I just picked up my second pit recently since I lost my red nose.

I've grew up having owned a pit, doberman, pug, basset hound, and German shepherd.

German Shepard are thick headed and take a firm dominant pack leader and also can be nippy, from my experience. Probably not what a first time dog owner should get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsanford View Post
    I second pit. I just picked up my second pit recently since I lost my red nose.

I've grew up having owned a pit, doberman, pug, basset hound, and German shepherd.

German Shepard are thick headed and take a firm dominant pack leader and also can be nippy, from my experience. Probably not what a first time dog owner should get.
    That puppy is so freaking adorable. Way too cute. I own a boxer and she is the sweetest thing. It's so sad that they have such horrible reputations.

Thanks

My wife and I rescue dogs on a regular basis and I ended up keeping one about 5 years ago. He's a Golden Mountain Dog, basically a golden retriever and bernese mountain dog mix. He's roughly about 105-115 lbs and the most amazing outdoor dog. I take him on 2-3 day backpacking trips and he swims out in the water with me when I surf. They are very smart dogs that are incredibly intelligent and protective. If I am not home he stays with my daughter and wife blocks the front door. He's pretty big and can be very intimidating when he feels his family is in danger. If you are able to find one I would definitely look into one... though he does shed pretty good.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone! If I don't sum up responses to everyone's comment right now I'll make sure to add on in another post.

I want to steer a bit clear of most long haired dog breeds other than Huskys, GSD and Malamutes. I'm also looking for dogs on the large-medium sized like Weims, Viszlas and GSPs. As for Pitbulls and GSD's right now, I've seen a lot of apartments that don't allow them so I think they're out of the question for now. I've heard the Weims, Viszlas and GSPs are protective enough to the point where they won't trust someone and will follow them around, which is what I like, and will vocalize whenever something's 'off'.

And I don't specifically want a dog that is sociable to everyone, just me and that is weary or untrusting to anyone they haven't met a few times as I'd like a dog that is protective. I would also like them to trust and like me the most and not latch on to other people as much.

Thanks
    A very important consideration is heat and cold tolerance since you will be outside a lot with your dog. Illinois can have both extremes.

I love the look of Weims and Viszlas. Looking for a good one will involve a lot of research and will be more expensive. Weims can become too protective and health issues from bad breeders has become common. Vizslas aren't as bad for this but they call them velcro dogs for a reason. Separation anxiety can easily happen. A Standard poodle may be a great choice but again, you will have to do your homework to find a good breeder. Since you are not trying to find a hunting Standard Poodle, you will have an easier time.

I have a 10 year old GSP male. He is often a couch potato but that on switch is easily flipped. Its all about the hunt for them. This can be toned down but I doubt it can be totally trained out. Training a GSP (or Vizsla or Weim for that matter) to not chase deer is very possible but it does require a lot of training.

Any dog you get will have to be trained for a Leave It command and a perfect recall/Come command. Training Whoa is a good idea too. It can stop your dog when they are about to cross a road or do something else they could get injured by.

If you get a puppy, make sure the parents are tested for hips and eyes, along with other possible breed specific issues. A health guarantee for genetic issues that is at least 30-36 months long is essential. OFA will not let you test hips until after they are 24 months old. PENNHip can be done younger but it is more expensive.

We had a Siberian/Malamute/Wolf cross. Chase was a great dog. Hated being on a leash but we have never had a better camping dog. Totally silent until there was something for humans to be concerned about. He didn't run off to look for trouble and bring it back to camp such as looking for bear. Loved to chase squirrels but he never barked or whined when he did. I doubt it was the breed mix but the dog and how he was raised. We lived in the north in a place with 16 people. He could roam free.

Don't be afraid to look into rescues even young adult rescues. Depending on where you look, some may be great for you but perhaps they didn't have enough "hunt" in them for the previous owner/breeder.

If you decide on a Lab, and that is a good choice too, find parents that are on the small side and be very sure of hip testing etc. Upland hunting and pointing lab size lines are a good place to start. They will be able to handle the trails better.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty's_Mom View Post
    A very important consideration is heat and cold tolerance since you will be outside a lot with your dog. Illinois can have both extremes.

I love the look of Weims and Viszlas. Looking for a good one will involve a lot of research and will be more expensive. Weims can become too protective and health issues from bad breeders has become common. Vizslas aren't as bad for this but they call them velcro dogs for a reason. Separation anxiety can easily happen. A Standard poodle may be a great choice but again, you will have to do your homework to find a good breeder. Since you are not trying to find a hunting Standard Poodle, you will have an easier time.

I have a 10 year old GSP male. He is often a couch potato but that on switch is easily flipped. Its all about the hunt for them. This can be toned down but I doubt it can be totally trained out. Training a GSP (or Vizsla or Weim for that matter) to not chase deer is very possible but it does require a lot of training.

Any dog you get will have to be trained for a Leave It command and a perfect recall/Come command. Training Whoa is a good idea too. It can stop your dog when they are about to cross a road or do something else they could get injured by.

If you get a puppy, make sure the parents are tested for hips and eyes, along with other possible breed specific issues. A health guarantee for genetic issues that is at least 30-36 months long is essential. OFA will not let you test hips until after they are 24 months old. PENNHip can be done younger but it is more expensive.

We had a Siberian/Malamute/Wolf cross. Chase was a great dog. Hated being on a leash but we have never had a better camping dog. Totally silent until there was something for humans to be concerned about. He didn't run off to look for trouble and bring it back to camp such as looking for bear. Loved to chase squirrels but he never barked or whined when he did. I doubt it was the breed mix but the dog and how he was raised. We lived in the north in a place with 16 people. He could roam free.

Don't be afraid to look into rescues even young adult rescues. Depending on where you look, some may be great for you but perhaps they didn't have enough "hunt" in them for the previous owner/breeder.

If you decide on a Lab, and that is a good choice too, find parents that are on the small side and be very sure of hip testing etc. Upland hunting and pointing lab size lines are a good place to start. They will be able to handle the trails better.
    Thanks for the reply!

I'll be in central Illinois so it doesn't have the harsh summers or harsh winters, just in the middle. I decided to choose an American lab puppy (since the English ones are a bit bulkier and not as outdoorsy). Isn't the 'Whoa' similar to stop then? Or are they both interchangeable? I was actually talking to a friend about making sure they have their dew claws removed, two vaccinations, be de-wormed and their parents should have certifications by the OFA and CERF. However, I was looking at a site called 'puppyfinder; and I realized that not all dogs will have their parents certified with OFA and CERF. Would this be a big problem? Also, I'm making sure to get a breeder that as 1 year - 30 month health guarantee as well. I'll be getting this puppy in around 2 1/2 to 3 years so I'll be doing some more research before.

I do have one question tho for how long do you not give a puppy any freedom (by freedom I mean letting it wander around the house while it's not potty trained) or until what age? I was thinking if you get them around 7-8 weeks of age, you can crate train them for 2 or so months after that to get housebroken. Would this work or is it still a too young age to do so?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast