Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

0 members and 3,198 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention about the German SH. One track mind! Always on the hunt! I live where there are rabbits in my yards and I have lots of birds in the shrubs and trees. That dog will NOT stop to eat or drink or even play with my dog. He's hunting 24/7! And good at it. When that tail wiggles or he points then he has struck gold!

So if you are hiking you will have to keep a constant eye out. On the other hand he won't go running off to visit other people.

also

I overlooked Huskies. I raised Huskies and Malamutes for 20 years. They can be leash trained. I agree with GoingPostal, very difficult to train off leash. Especially in wide open areas. All of mine took every opportunity to run off for a site see when given the chance.

And when shedding season starts, yes, season! From April-early July in Texas you can brush the equivalent of a dead animal off a Husky a few times a week.
    Is there a way to train them so that behavior is easily or somewhat easily contained? I'd rather them not go after an animal whenever we're out and about haha.
    Are Huskies and Malamutes behavior very similar? And is the shedding season for both too (yes probably lol).

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Without hesitation I have to say that Labrador retrievers are by FAR the most versatile outdoorsman and family dog in one. My black lab Rocky is unbelievable in any outdoor or home scenario. He is a stone cold efficient retriever, perfect off leash in the field, and will retrieve ANY object out of water and land faithfully all day. He has camped, hiked and backpacked every condition from 14,000+ foot peaks to long desert hikes. Their undercoat keeps them warm while swimming in cold water, and dries quickly once back on land. Aside from performing in the field, Rocky, and labs in general, love to be part of the family unit. Rocky is affectionate and loving, always by my side or in contact with me. These dogs are great with kids, usually very friendly with other animals, and adapt well to most situations. Even though my pup is a big baby when at home, he still guards the house, issuing a warning bark to approaching people. Labs are tolerant and loyal, given the time and attention they deserve, they will love you a lifetime. Just like most dogs, they do shed. I don't find it overwhelming at all, but it is present. Once caveat though is that most labs are ALWAYS hungry. They have a major food drive, and can gain weight easily if allowed to eat freely.
    Labs were my main choice at first since I heard so many good things about them and that's what I'll probably lean to for a first dog if I'm not comfortable yet when it comes to training other dogs with stronger drives. And thanks for the input about the hiking and such, I just really want a friend that could go with me whenever and will just be there for me in general haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Standard Poodle - best dogs in the world. They don't shed either so you can groom them to be ready for any terrain or climate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (06-04-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pampho85 View Post
    Is there a way to train them so that behavior is easily or somewhat easily contained? I'd rather them not go after an animal whenever we're out and about haha.
    Are Huskies and Malamutes behavior very similar? And is the shedding season for both too (yes probably lol).

Labs were my main choice at first since I heard so many good things about them and that's what I'll probably lean to for a first dog if I'm not comfortable yet when it comes to training other dogs with stronger drives. And thanks for the input about the hiking and such, I just really want a friend that could go with me whenever and will just be there for me in general haha.
    If you want a loyal adventure buddy there is nothing better than a lab. I've been in situations in nature where having Rocky with me likely saved my life multiple times. He alerts to any kind of wildlife or people that approach our campsite, and is the best cuddle buddy when its cold at night. We have been through some sub-freezing temp nights together, and literally hung onto one another for dear life. He comes into Home Depot, Bass Pro Shop etc with me off leash and is always a big hit.

Also, when off leash outdoors labs are known for not running away or following scent trails. Rocky will run around the woods, play in the river or lake, and come back to check in every couple minutes. If I call he comes running, every single time without fail. Malamutes/huskies and any hound dogs are nightmares to camp with. I once went on a trip with a girl that had a husky and we spent the whole trip tracking the dog after it took off chasing a deer. Two days later it showed up with bloodied raw paws.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 06-04-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    I have got to toss in my vote for a German Shepherd. These dogs are insanely versatile and if you do you homework and buy from a reputable breeder, who has bloodlines with good hips, the chances of hip dysplasia are much lower.
    I have a year and a half old GSD.
    She is leash trained. She heels on command, and even when not heeling will stick to my side within about a ten foot radius. They obey commands 95% of the time and are smooth easy trainers.
    She is a family dog and loves being with me (they tend to bond very strongly to one person) and my children, but is aware and protective without being vicious.
    She runs with me, she hikes with me, but is also just as willing to spend lazy hours on the couch with me. She is also a breed ambassador and loves to meet children at local events.
    The major con is that they can become... I don't want to say vicious, but prone to bite (they are fear biters) without proper socialization. They can also get bored easily. This is an in your pocket dog, not an animal to be left alone home all the time.
    The consideration also needs to be taken that they are also double coated (lots of shedding all year long) so if you are in a hot environment they have a bit of trouble keeping cool. I have to make sure that I take that into consideration in our hot summers when running or hiking with her.
    Overall these guys are a fantastic breed. I've owned a number of different breeds over my life and have never found another that I love as much. They have a personality all their own.

I mean, who can say no to this face?

I personally love german shepherds, but you will run into issues with breed restrictions for apartments. At least in my area of Denver no apartments will rent to someone with a GSD.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

If you want a loyal adventure buddy there is nothing better than a lab. I've been in situations in nature where having Rocky with me likely saved my life multiple times. He alerts to any kind of wildlife or people that approach our campsite, and is the best cuddle buddy when its cold at night. We have been through some sub-freezing temp nights together, and literally hung onto one another for dear life. He comes into Home Depot, Bass Pro Shop etc with me off leash and is always a big hit.

Also, when off leash outdoors labs are known for not running away or following scent trails. Rocky will run around the woods, play in the river or lake, and come back to check in every couple minutes. If I call he comes running, every single time without fail. Malamutes/huskies and any hound dogs are nightmares to camp with. I once went on a trip with a girl that had a husky and we spent the whole trip tracking the dog after it took off chasing a deer. Two days later it showed up with bloodied raw paws.
    Oh Yea! When I call my OEB she comes walking when she is good and ready. I refer to it as the Bulldog Delay. She does as asked but with just enough resistance to let you know she would rather not.

I can handle her fine but the wife is another issue.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

GSP are HUNTING dogs. That is their nature. That would be quite difficult to override and maybe considered cruel by some.
    Also on second thought, I have to agree with JoshSloane GSP are VERY HIGH ENERGY! Probably not a good choice for a first dog.

Malamutes and Huskies are very similar, especially their shedding.

When I read your OP, Lab was the first breed come to mind. The only reason I didn't mention it was I do not have much personal experience with the breed other than various friends and acquaintances with labs over the years. They seem to fit your criteria the best.

To prove no bias, other dogs I have owned (including childhood):

German Shepard 10 yrs
    Golden Retriever 14-15 yrs
    Rough Collies (Lassie) 20+ yrs
    Basset Hound 11 yrs
    Last edited by Reinz; 06-04-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

Don't be deceived about a Lab not having strong drives. They are hunting dogs and have exceedingly strong responses and are obsessive ( I own one as well) in terms of ease of train-ability the GSD was worlds easier than my Lab. The GSD is less than two and will quickly and happily respond to training and commands that I am still failing at teaching the lab, who is 4, to do. She's also still very high energy and I imagine she will be until the day she dies. Don't get me wrong the Lab is a fantastic animal and ours is a great family pet and a great hunting dog, but I would not categorize a lab as "having a lower drive."
    My lab is an awesome companion for my son and totally adores him. She's a wacky fun thing and was relatively easy to train. She's got a bag of tricks a mile long and loves doing them and is people oriented. She's never met a stranger.
    Labs are double coated as well and she shed's worse than the GSD!
    Frankly as a hiking companion my lab sucks. She's constantly distracted by everything and everyone (the OH MY EGERED I HAVE TO GO MEET THEM/GO GET IT NOW) and is unpleasant to walk on leash. I constantly have to correct her and she's stubborn enough to ignore multiple corrections in favor of what she wants. This has been my experience with every lab I have ever owned, which is to date three. I love my ball of hyper fattness, but lots of people that get a lab are deceived about what kind of dog they really are. Whatever you get make sure to do research and reading before diving in, if possible go and meet the dog.

Had to edit: reread and it seems like I'm bashing labs which I'm totally not! Just comparison and contrast of the dogs I have owned and their personalities.
    Last edited by Asherah; 06-04-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks

I personally love german shepherds, but you will run into issues with breed restrictions for apartments. At least in my area of Denver no apartments will rent to someone with a GSD.
    I've had some similar issues but generally if the owner meets her they have no problems. Being upfront with the owner and opening conversation with them is a big step to getting an apartment. Persistence is key really.
    - The Grove Reptiles

Thanks
    My experience is mostly with large apartment complexes that are managed and not owned directly by an individual. These days people are ridiculously fearful of everything. Anytime I rent I always see GSDs on the restricted lists. It makes no sense but it definitely could hinder someone with the breed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asherah View Post
    Don't be deceived about a Lab not having strong drives. They are hunting dogs and have exceedingly strong responses and are obsessive ( I own one as well) in terms of ease of train-ability the GSD was worlds easier than my Lab. The GSD is less than two and will quickly and happily respond to training and commands that I am still failing at teaching the lab, who is 4, to do. She's also still very high energy and I imagine she will be until the day she dies. Don't get me wrong the Lab is a fantastic animal and ours is a great family pet and a great hunting dog, but I would not categorize a lab as "having a lower drive."
    My lab is an awesome companion for my son and totally adores him. She's a wacky fun thing and was relatively easy to train. She's got a bag of tricks a mile long and loves doing them and is people oriented. She's never met a stranger.
    Labs are double coated as well and she shed's worse than the GSD!
    Frankly as a hiking companion my lab sucks. She's constantly distracted by everything and everyone (the OH MY EGERED I HAVE TO GO MEET THEM/GO GET IT NOW) and is unpleasant to walk on leash. I constantly have to correct her and she's stubborn enough to ignore multiple corrections in favor of what she wants. This has been my experience with every lab I have ever owned, which is to date three. I love my ball of hyper fattness, but lots of people that get a lab are deceived about what kind of dog they really are. Whatever you get make sure to do research and reading before diving in, if possible go and meet the dog.

Had to edit: reread and it seems like I'm bashing labs which I'm totally not! Just comparison and contrast of the dogs I have owned and their personalities.
    Labs absolutely have a ton of energy, but in my 20 years experience owning both labs and GSPs, nothing on earth compares to the energy output of a GSP. Obviously every dog has their own unique personality and situation, but my 5 year old lab looks like a senior citizen compared to my GSP. You cant go wrong with either of these breeds, im only bringing up any issues for the first time owner to be aware of. If youre committed to their happiness either breed will be amazing outdoors.

If you want a dog that's a big goofball go lab. I hold my 90lb lab like a baby on his back while im standing up.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast