Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

1 members and 3,240 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Just took a quiz and so far I've gotten what I'm looking for haha. GSP, Weimaranar, and Vizla, however they still say that they don't do so well alone and might be destructive. This poses a problem to me as I might have to leave for the work day, but I'd make sure they're well exercised before or after I return (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by readymade View Post
    Ok then what about a greyhound short hair long nose and I've heard that they are very loyal
    I've heard greyhounds are too affectionate to be protective and that they are easily hurt on some trails. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what I heard and I don't want to put the dog knowingly in any danger.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    It's not the length of the snout, it's how they use it!

My buddy didn't listen when I said Boxers have alot of energy. He got one and lived in an apartment. That dog would room across the ceiling. Ball of energy for sure!

My OEB is full of energy for about 10 minutes. Stubborn and headstrong is what she is.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    German Shepherds tend to be protective. But a dog that's protective and stays with you is going to tend to also want your company.
    But more importantly is going to be the dog's personality. Breed characteristics are only a *very* general outline. Training will also affect how your dog behaves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    For what you are looking for, I would look for something along the lines of the GSPs, hard thing is that NONE of the dogs should be going on such long walks/hikes until they are at least 18-24 months old when the growth plates close, so keep that in mind.

Larger breeds like the labs, shepherds and mountain dogs are prone to having back hip/joint/back issues, and such vigorous exercise might exacerbate thoughs.

You also need to consider the type of climate that you live in, and remember that a lot of the dogs that might be considered usually have very high prey drive, so having on a long lead vs off leash might be prefered.
    ~Marissa~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-04-2015),Pampho85 (06-04-2015),rabernet (06-04-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    It's not the length of the snout, it's how they use it!

My buddy didn't listen when I said Boxers have alot of energy. He got one and lived in an apartment. That dog would room across the ceiling. Ball of energy for sure!

My OEB is full of energy for about 10 minutes. Stubborn and headstrong is what she is.
    Haha that's true! My neighbor had a boxer and boy could he run. Too bad once he ran straight into my house and into my mom scaring the crap out of her haha.

I guess I'm just fond of 'wolf' like dogs, nothing against any other dogs (as you can tell since I like the GSP Weimaranar, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Timelugia View Post
    German Shepherds tend to be protective. But a dog that's protective and stays with you is going to tend to also want your company.
    But more importantly is going to be the dog's personality. Breed characteristics are only a *very* general outline. Training will also affect how your dog behaves.
    I'll definitely spend time with them whenever I am home, since I don't think I'll get married, I'll have more than enough time to go out for walks and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    For what you are looking for, I would look for something along the lines of the GSPs, hard thing is that NONE of the dogs should be going on such long walks/hikes until they are at least 18-24 months old when the growth plates close, so keep that in mind.

Larger breeds like the labs, shepherds and mountain dogs are prone to having back hip/joint/back issues, and such vigorous exercise might exacerbate thoughs.

You also need to consider the type of climate that you live in, and remember that a lot of the dogs that might be considered usually have very high prey drive, so having on a long lead vs off leash might be prefered.
    I definitely won't take a puppy on a hike. Maybe a short trail that builds up as they age, but nothing too long. Ideally when they're older and well trained, I'd like to take them on an overnight camping trip, but that's just a long term goal.

And I'll try to keep them on a leash at all time, as I'm an advocate for keeping dogs on their leashes when in an area that is a preserve or has a large population of native animals, just whenever there's a large field I'd like them to be off the leash but not go ballistic haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Sorry I forgot to mention about the German SH. One track mind! Always on the hunt! I live where there are rabbits in my yards and I have lots of birds in the shrubs and trees. That dog will NOT stop to eat or drink or even play with my dog. He's hunting 24/7! And good at it. When that tail wiggles or he points then he has struck gold!

So if you are hiking you will have to keep a constant eye out. On the other hand he won't go running off to visit other people.

also

I overlooked Huskies. I raised Huskies and Malamutes for 20 years. They can be leash trained. I agree with GoingPostal, very difficult to train off leash. Especially in wide open areas. All of mine took every opportunity to run off for a site see when given the chance.

And when shedding season starts, yes, season! From April-early July in Texas you can brush the equivalent of a dead animal off a Husky a few times a week.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Without hesitation I have to say that Labrador retrievers are by FAR the most versatile outdoorsman and family dog in one. My black lab Rocky is unbelievable in any outdoor or home scenario. He is a stone cold efficient retriever, perfect off leash in the field, and will retrieve ANY object out of water and land faithfully all day. He has camped, hiked and backpacked every condition from 14,000+ foot peaks to long desert hikes. Their undercoat keeps them warm while swimming in cold water, and dries quickly once back on land. Aside from performing in the field, Rocky, and labs in general, love to be part of the family unit. Rocky is affectionate and loving, always by my side or in contact with me. These dogs are great with kids, usually very friendly with other animals, and adapt well to most situations. Even though my pup is a big baby when at home, he still guards the house, issuing a warning bark to approaching people. Labs are tolerant and loyal, given the time and attention they deserve, they will love you a lifetime. Just like most dogs, they do shed. I don't find it overwhelming at all, but it is present. Once caveat though is that most labs are ALWAYS hungry. They have a major food drive, and can gain weight easily if allowed to eat freely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I would love to have a wolf hybrid. They are not cheap though.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post

Just my two cents, but GSPs are definitely not for the first time dog owner. These animals have an unmatched level of energy, intelligence and alertness that will all but drive any new owner insane. My second dog is a GSP x black lab mix. She is a WONDERFUL dog, but literally shivers with energy. If you don't have a large plot of land, or aren't planning on HEAVILY exercising this dog every single day, I wouldn't have one as your first. My lab has tons of energy, but doesn't even compare to the GSP who runs laps around him.

With regards to hip dysplasia, quite the opposite is true for big dogs. Frequent exercise in the adult years tends to strengthen muscles, tendons and ligaments, providing for a healthier senior dog. Yes, large breed dogs are prone to this disease, but regular vet checkups, having hips checked when young, a proper diet, and exercise puts this issue at a much lower risk .

Thanks
    I have got to toss in my vote for a German Shepherd. These dogs are insanely versatile and if you do you homework and buy from a reputable breeder, who has bloodlines with good hips, the chances of hip dysplasia are much lower.
    I have a year and a half old GSD.
    She is leash trained. She heels on command, and even when not heeling will stick to my side within about a ten foot radius. They obey commands 95% of the time and are smooth easy trainers.
    She is a family dog and loves being with me (they tend to bond very strongly to one person) and my children, but is aware and protective without being vicious.
    She runs with me, she hikes with me, but is also just as willing to spend lazy hours on the couch with me. She is also a breed ambassador and loves to meet children at local events.
    The major con is that they can become... I don't want to say vicious, but prone to bite (they are fear biters) without proper socialization. They can also get bored easily. This is an in your pocket dog, not an animal to be left alone home all the time.
    The consideration also needs to be taken that they are also double coated (lots of shedding all year long) so if you are in a hot environment they have a bit of trouble keeping cool. I have to make sure that I take that into consideration in our hot summers when running or hiking with her.
    Overall these guys are a fantastic breed. I've owned a number of different breeds over my life and have never found another that I love as much. They have a personality all their own.

I mean, who can say no to this face?

- The Grove Reptiles

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast