Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,426

1 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

I've never owned a dog before, however I do plan on getting one in the future (possibly after I get out of my undergrad). Since my field requires a lot of outdoor time (hiking, etc.) I was wondering what would be a good dog breed. I was thinking so far of a Weimaraner, Chocolate lab, Husky, Swiss Mountain Dog, Hungarian vizsla, German Short-haired Pointer and a German Shepherd. Feel free to comment on these or add in a breed that you think is better!

These are my criteria tho:
    - I hike around anywhere from 3-11 miles whenever I go out, dog must be able to keep up.
    - Somewhat easy to train.
    - Must be obedient/somewhat easy to maintain off leash, I'd rather it not go chasing off after local fauna.
    - Somewhat protective. I don't think I'll be getting married, sadly lol, so I'd like it to warn me anything comes by. However, on the flip side, I don't want it to be too protective in-case I have people over (or a roommate).
    - Doesn't shed a whole lot, I understand most dogs do, but I don't want them to require a whole ton of grooming.
    - I probably won't get one till after grad school (if I plan on going to grad school), but if I do, which would do best alone, without destroying things?
    - As corny as it sounds, I'd like a dog that'll just enjoy my company too. Not too independent that it takes off running whenever I open the door, but that'll wait for me or just walk near me whenever we go out.

So far, these are the only things I can think of, but I might add in things later. I do understand that dogs are a huge responsibility, trust me, that's why I'm thinking far ahead. But I really do appreciate comments/suggestions! I'm a bit partial to 'wolf' looking dog breeds/mixes and solid colors sometimes tho aha.

Thanks!

Thanks
    The most obedient faimly loving dog i have ever owed is my 7 year old female pitbull! She even gives piggy back rides to my 3 yr old. When i was running marathons. She was by my side 7 to 5 miles a day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmccauley51423 For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Well you just opened Pandora's box! You're probably going to hear about just about every breed under the sun. I won't tell you my favorite. But I will tell you about one on your list.

My brother has a German Shorthair Pointer, his second one. Not the dog for me, but a good dog nonetheless.

This is what I can tell you about my experience with this dog:

He is absolutely tireless, you will have trouble keeping up with him!

No shedding. If he does, the hair is ultra fine and ultra small. You can barely see it at all!

Great watch dog! If I get up at night, quiet as a mouse, he barks!

Now my brother's always wants to outside being active. He's not a couch potato except at night and morning nap time.

Hope this helps,

Best

He never leaves my brother's side. Even in the bathroom! If my brother is at my house and closes the bathroom door on him, the dog will try to break the door down.
    Last edited by Reinz; 06-04-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

@jmccauley51423- I don't think I will get a pitbull, even though they are a pretty nice dog, because my family is pretty deathly afraid of them sadly. I'd also like to have a dog breed that doesn't raise home insurance a lot (I've heard that they do which I find pretty weird). I forgot to mention that I'll be the first in my extended family to own a dog so haha

@Reinz - That dog fits all my criteria! Other than the wanting to break doors down part haha. Ideally, I'd want a dog that can 'hold the fort down' when I'm gone and not make a fuss if any. Don't want to come home to a broken down door and ripped up couch lol

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Off your list I would go for a GSP or Vizla. Might be a little prey driven to let off leash but most seem pretty trainable, high energy, probably the least shedding off the list. I see too many Weims with poor temperament, GSD shed a ton and you are also looking at possible breed restriction issues with a shepherd, Swissies shed a lot and have many health issues, husky would not be a good choice to run off leash generally and shed like mad, a lab would probably fit too, I just don't care much for them and they shed pretty heavily too. You could look into spaniels but a little more grooming required, a smooth collie might be another option although they can be loud.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best dog breed for the 'outdoors'? (For new dog owner too)

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Off your list I would go for a GSP or Vizla. Might be a little prey driven to let off leash but most seem pretty trainable, high energy, probably the least shedding off the list. I see too many Weims with poor temperament, GSD shed a ton and you are also looking at possible breed restriction issues with a shepherd, Swissies shed a lot and have many health issues, husky would not be a good choice to run off leash generally and shed like mad, a lab would probably fit too, I just don't care much for them and they shed pretty heavily too. You could look into spaniels but a little more grooming required, a smooth collie might be another option although they can be loud.
    What do you mean by 'breed restriction issues'? And thanks! Do you think it would be possible to stop once they chase after an animal if off the leash?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Check around online for dog test or quizzes. When I wanted me first dog of all my own I did this and it really worked out well for me. What they do is ask about you and your lifestyle plus about what you're looking for in a dog. Then it will give you some options of breeds that may fit your needs and wants. Doing this I found many breeds I didn't know of, or didn't know much about. This is how I found Old English Bulldogs. I'm on my second and love the breed. She can be a couch potato yet still able to handle the hot outdoors at the beach or on my bass boat. Just what I wanted.

They are free and easy. Give them a try.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

Thanks

What about a boxer i have a pitbull/boxer mix very nice dog full of energy or maybe an American bulldog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to readymade For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (06-04-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll check out some quizzes!

And I don't mean to sound picky or rude when I was this, but I prefer the dog to have a longer snout haha. But thanks!

Thanks

Ok then what about a greyhound short hair long nose and I've heard that they are very loyal

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast