Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,266

1 members and 1,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Looking to get Dachshund puppy, need advice.

Hey All,

My fiancé and I have two wonderful black labs that are our babies. They are both very well trained, affectionate, and gentle. We want to add a third dog to our family, and are thinking of a small breed dog. We have both fallen in love with dachshunds, and are on the verge of getting a puppy. I know each dog is different, but do dachshunds usually get along well with larger breed dogs? I have read about their back issues, and im worried that during the course of normal play that it could be severely injured. Both of my labs would never intentionally hurt another dog, but im worried that if they accidentally rolled over onto, or fell on the dachshund that we would have a major medical trauma. I have heard that they are very resilient and brave dogs, so im wondering if they would be able to coexist with dogs in the 70-80 pound range.

Also, how are they with children? I am getting mixed reviews about this as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 07-01-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    In my opinion a small dog can easily co-exist with a large dog, but it depends on the individuals. I know a lady who has 5 or 6 large dogs and one really small mini schnauzer (less than 20 pounds). Your labs would probably just have to be gentle when playing with the dachshund. I've seen some dogs automatically become gentler when playing with smaller dogs, but if not you'd have to teach them. The other thing to keep in mind is dogs are relatively sturdy. I don't think a rolling lab is going to snap the dachshund in two.
    As for children, I think it really depends on the individual. If you get a puppy and make sure he has lots of positive experiences with children it should be okay.
    You will want to make sure you socialize it early. They can be mean to strangers otherwise.
    That's my two cents. I'm not an expert on dachshunds, though.

Thanks
    Thanks for your input. My labs play rough with each other, but they definitely tone it down with smaller dogs. I know that due to their elongated backs, that dachs are prone to injuries. I just don't know if this means that a slight bump can cause them to slip a disc, or if its a rare event.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 07-01-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Dachshunds are sweet little dogs. I know and have known people with them over the years. The one common thread that sticks out in mind is prepare your noise level to go up when friends come over. It takes a little while for them to settle in, like most dogs with their own excitable behaviors.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Your questions really all depends on the individual dogs. Dachshunds are GENERALLY a rather versatile breed, but their temperaments can still range from both ends of the spectrum... it's always case by case. Also, if you are set on a puppy, be sure to buy from a breeder who health tests BOTH parents with OFA for hip displaysia before breeding (OFA hips are the most basic of health tests for all breeders) and have the certifications for it. A reputable breeder is distinguished from backyard breeders with their care for health testing the dogs. And meet the dachshund's parents and see their temperaments.

Any main concerns would actually be... How do your current labs play with other dogs, and have you observed how they interact with stranger small dogs? Are they more gentle or do they not realize their size and still like to play rough? Small dogs generally get along with large dogs, especially if you bring home the dachshund from a puppyhood. Any issue usually lies in whether the current large dogs are good with small dogs, whether it's some reactivity stemming from prey drive or that they simply don't realize their size and play too roughly. I think you would know your labs very well and can make a good estimate there.

And if you don't know, you can bring your labs in to some local Petco to walk by the puppy classes... watch how they react, if at all. Ask small dog owners if their dogs are good with other dogs before approaching, and observe your labs during the meet and greets (assuming you trust your labs to do that- I don't know your dogs!)

Dachshunds aren't as fragile as they may seem, they're generally rather adaptable, and if your labs don't play too rough with small dogs, I'd say the dachshund addition is good to go!

Also... for any dog-related questions, chazhound forums is a great place. Not a ton of people, but really quality and knowledgable people on there who work and title their dogs (including me! I'm there!).
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,498 Posts

Re: Looking to get Dachshund puppy, need advice.

I have two dachshunds. I love them to death but would never get another. They are very loving an loyal, but only with us. With everyone else they are territorial and barky. Every sound or movement outside of our house results in barking.They are extremely keyed up initially when someone walks in the door even when we are letting them in. They will calm after a while, but then if the person gets up to use the restroom or something, they will start barking all over again like it is a new intruder. About the only people they are better with are those individuals who are frequent visitors.

Dachshunds are notoriously nippy around small children and the problem with it is that most children find them cute so immediately bend down to pet them and get face to face. Also they are usually a bump in homeowners insurance premiums if the carrier knows about their presence because of their reputations. My daughter works for a vet and doesn't have a whole lot better to speak of them. The back issues are just another possible problem but we have yet to experience anything with that. Sorry if that is discouraging but it is my experience.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 07-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    I forgot to emphasize, but- it is important to meet the parents before settling on a breeder or puppy. Particularly with dachshunds, I've seen both the intense/territorial temperaments and the easygoing-boston-terrier-level ones who are just chill with everything. Genetics play a big role in how those turn out.

But if I could make a suggestion, it would be safe to get a puppy from a conformation breeder. Conformation lines for any breed, more often than not, wash out a bit of any intensity in their temperament more or less and would have dogs suitable for what you're looking for... and you could be more sure of the temperament of the dog you are getting.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Lady mkrj58 (01-30-2017)

Thanks
    Hmm, I have been reading all of this and hoped it wasn't as prevalent. My largest lab is a big baby. He has helped raise three previous puppies and is always extremely tolerant and gentle. When he sees a puppy or small dog he throws himself down on the ground and lets the pup jump all over his face and bit his cheeks. Im definitely not worried about how my current dogs would treat a pup. We are trying for kids in a few years and im worried about a doxie snapping at them too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Hmm, I have been reading all of this and hoped it wasn't as prevalent. My largest lab is a big baby. He has helped raise three previous puppies and is always extremely tolerant and gentle. When he sees a puppy or small dog he throws himself down on the ground and lets the pup jump all over his face and bit his cheeks. Im definitely not worried about how my current dogs would treat a pup. We are trying for kids in a few years and im worried about a doxie snapping at them too.
    That's good to hear about the labs then! About the dachshund being good with children, I'd get a puppy from a conformation line breeder, if you're set on the breed. It's much more reputable overall and you will have a MUCH more definite image of the kind of temperament you are getting, especially if you add that you hope for the most chill puppy who is okay with everything, including children... haha.

I'll go on a tangent and say that boston terriers are incredibly cool and easygoing. Much higher chance of getting a chill boston terrier who is good with children than taking chances on a dachshund... Boston Terriers are also incredibly hardy dogs in terms of playing with large dogs, besides their health problems.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-01-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    I didn't want to give the impression that they would nip a child who is a family member and has regular interaction with the dog. Especially if there was a baby brought home and the dog was exposed to them at the earliest stages where the child is no threat. As I stated they are loyal to a fault. But visiting children or a child approaching on the street if you are walking them, could be another story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast