Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

2 members and 3,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: crossing state borders with pythons and reticulated pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    It isn't like moving to a different state someone is going to search your vehicle for snakes... or at all. Though it may not seem or feel like it, we are still America. Look into how and why this country was founded. Move your snakes and be happy, don't let the idiots running this country into the ground separate you from your passion.
    Whether the law is just or not, the law is the law and encouraging people to break it or breaking it yourself will not help anyone, it will just add to the negative image snake owners are already suffering from and will only lead to more outrageous laws.

Do yourself a favor be a RESPONSIBLE KEEPER in private and in public, this includes the advice you provide to others.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-25-2015),ballpythonluvr (09-25-2015),Bluebonnet Herp (09-27-2015),MarkS (10-07-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Legislators will be legislators; doesn't matter if you are living in Ancient Rome, Bolshevik Russia, or post 9/11 USA... Just offering some perspective.

The TOS is an agreement members here choose to abide by. House Rules. I don't know the specifics of this board, but most of these are privately owned. If we want to talk politics (which as a Libertarian, I really like to do), we need to do it on a different board. Sadly, the folks on the politics boards I frequent have no interest in snakes.

Thanks

Woo more Kansas people!
    1.0 Ivory Queen Bee
    1.0 Black Pewter
    0.1 Bumble Bee
    0.1 Normal Het Clown
    0.1 Enchi

1.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator

1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    The Lacey Act in and of itself is unconstitutional and is absolutely one of many examples of illegal government intrusion and regulation of the private sector.

Millions of illegal immigrants flood across our borders every year, and we are supposed to smile and take it? Yet we should blindly follow laws that prevent us from bringing our pets to a new state?

I live in Colorado, welcome to our amazing state! When you cross the Colorado/Kansas border on I70 you wont even realize you have done it. There is literally nothing there. Drive the speed limit and you wont get pulled over. A good soldier never leaves a man behind .

Note that I am NOT condoning or promoting any felonious activities, merely commenting on the situation at hand.
    Nobody is saying we should smile and take it. It's simply unwise to talk about breaking the current laws online where it is recorded indefinitely and where these posts can be used as incriminating evidence in the court of law. It also just makes us look bad, especially among those with an agenda who all too much do their best to portray us as wildlife smugglers. It's practically just handing them what they want.

We may not like the law, and there's a likelihood it's probably already been broken, but just like with recreational users of contraband - anyone with common sense would never, EVER talk about it where the discussion is being recorded, or condone it on such a platform for that matter.

Thanks
    Well please don't call the thought police on me, God knows this country is already headed for an Orwellian nightmare.

To the OP: I think you should be fine, as long as you watch out for the reticulated python check points as you cross into Colorado. I've heard that across the U.S., on every major highway that intersects state borders, there are thousands of federal agents stationed at strategic checkpoints to search all vehicles for Reticulated and Burmese python contraband. Don't let the desolate wide open fields of the Colorado/Kansas border fool you. Even though you likely won't see anyone for miles around, there are rumors that there are SWAT units in ghillie suits camouflaged in the grass, waiting for the unsuspecting snake smuggler to attempt to cross a border. The federal manpower that the government is throwing at this is astounding. Teams from the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, Secret Service, Forestry and Wildlife, USDA and even private vigilante motorcycle gangs are all coordinating to prevent these snakes from crossing borders. I wont even mention the scores of drones and satellites that have been taken off of terrorist cell surveillance to scour the lower 48 for possible python trafficking. If you are brave enough to run this gauntlet, I recommend a disguise for the retic. Maybe a hat, some sunglasses and a fake moustache would do the trick? Likely having the retic out of sight in an enclosed tub will NOT be enough to hide him. When you go through the checkpoint just stay calm. Remember, even though these agents have absolutely no just cause to search your vehicle, they likely will anyways. Keep in mind that they are now training reticulated python sniffing German Shepherds to find pythons at these checkpoints. I do not advocate embarking on this danger wrought adventure, but if you do, good luck to you!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-27-2015),Jeffco (09-27-2015)

Thanks

Did not condone the moving of a reticulated or any other snake with issues in relocating. If you read the post you will see I said snakes, referring the butter. OP was curious about her ball python.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Well please don't call the thought police on me, God knows this country is already headed for an Orwellian nightmare.
    It's not about being the thought police. It's simply that making these statements made in this online forum can and most likely will be used as evidence against you if you were to ever end up in the court of law. That's just the way the nasty judicial system works.

For example, you could also post pictures of illegal drugs that you may be selling on Facebook, and no one's going to stop you from making that post, but if you ever end up in court over suspicion that you may be selling drugs, those prosecutors will bring those posts up.

If you ever end up in court over suspicion that you're doing illegal activities, such posts can be used in court as evidence against you, and increase your odds of being convicted. Not a good idea, especially if the law is considered is a felony. You can believe it's unjust all you want, but right now, it's officially the law of the land.

And it's not even that you're talking about breaking the law, it's that you're talking about breaking the law online, where it becomes written record forever.

With that said, while I may not be the most literate person ever, this statement very much sounds like you're vaguely condoning law breaking, and if I can make the argument, then a lawyer definitely can:
    When you cross the Colorado/Kansas border on I70 you wont even realize you have done it. There is literally nothing there. Drive the speed limit and you wont get pulled over. A good soldier never leaves a man behind.
    Let me break it down...

When you cross the Colorado/Kansas border on I70 you wont even realize you have done it. There is literally nothing there.
    "There's nobody out there to catch you/enforce the law."

Drive the speed limit and you wont get pulled over.
    "Don't give them a reason to search your vehicle."

A good soldier never leaves a man behind.
    "A good animal keeper never leaves their animals behind."

Now much like everyone here, I am vehemently against this law like everyone else. But we need to use common sense and be careful with the actions we take so not as to ruin our own lives and hamper the efforts of the community to fight these laws legally.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 09-27-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    If you cant see the sarcasm and satire in my previous post, then I am not sure what else to tell you.

Thought I would get a few more yucks out of that one. Guess its a pretty stiff crowd around these parts.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

If you cant see the sarcasm and satire in my previous post, then I am not sure what else to tell you.

Thought I would get a few more yucks out of that one. Guess its a pretty stiff crowd around these parts.
    There are just certain thing that people believe in and work very hard for.
    Even joking about something in bad taste doesn't help those that might not understand why we fight so hard for our rights her in America.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Gio (10-06-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (10-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    There are folks working VERY hard to fight for our reptile rights.

My last discussion with some burm and retic breeders was fairly positive and they seemed very optimistic that the current regulations would be overturned.

While it is true you are not likely to be caught crossing state lines with illegal reptiles, it is also true that if you do, you will be arrested and charged with a felony. Whether or not you are convicted is another matter, but the snakes will be gone, and you will have done a huge disservice to USARK and all the people working hard to do things the right way.

The media will over dramatize the situation and you'll wish you never decided to try it.

It's as simple as getting a flat tire, or having car trouble. You don't expect it, but then you are on the shoulder of the road and here come the police to help you. Question here, question there and "Oh what's that"?

Most law enforcement isn't versed in reptile ID, but it's not worth chancing.

The hobby itself is looked upon by most as strange, and any excuse to put it in bad light and make it look like only criminals own snakes will be run with by the opposing special interest groups.

I 100% agree it is a ridiculous law but we need to hang tight for a bit.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

MarkS (10-07-2015),Megg (10-06-2015),PitOnTheProwl (10-06-2015)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast