Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

2 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Substrate

Thanks

Substrate

Hey everybody just looking for some advice on substrate. Open to anything that holds moisture (not too much though), looks somewhat decent, and doesnt get my snake dirty. I'm currently using zilla forest mix and it holds moisture great but it's getting my snake dirty (he's an albino so it's not hard), and when he splashed water out of his dish it turns it into mud. Thanks 😁

Thanks
    I have used paper towels, aspen and cypress mulch. I liked them all but have ended up for right now using paper towels. But if you looking for something aesthetically pleasing then cypress mulch looks nice, holds water well and is easy to spot clean.

There are a few threads about substrates, try searching and see if one of those threads can help you out.

Greg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EasiGregory For This Useful Post:

MalachiJ (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Substrate

Orchid bark every time for me ... I use it in all my 17 vivs .

Looks amazing , shows up the colours and patterns of all the snakes , holds humidity if you require it but can be used for dry conditions equally as well .

Plus it's re-usable if you are on a tight budget . I put loads of old orchid bark in a big tub , pick out all the obvious bits of crap and whatever , then give it a good wash in diluted F10 , then drain off and let it dry naturally or even in the oven if you want it sooner .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-03-2015 at 09:40 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MalachiJ (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    The problem with substrate and humidity... the dirtier the better. The two best nice looking substrates are the coconut husk and cypress mulch. Coconut husk is the most dirtiest but it does a better job holding humidity then cypress mulch but cypress mulch does okay if sprayed at least once a week. The biggest issue with soaking the substrate for humidity purposes is if you keep the snake on constant wet substrate you are risking scale rot. The best healthy way of adding humidity (IMO) is providing a humid hide or getting a humidifier. Providing a humid hide Or section using either moss or coconut husk, placing it on the hot spot of the cage (make sure the snake has somewhere to cuddle up on the heat pad) will provide humidity through out the cage, give your snake a place to curl up to for extra humidity, and will leave out the risks of scale rot. My snakes are in tubs and humidity in my area is naturally around 50-60% but when they are in shed, I soak some coconut husk in a tupperware container and set it inside the tub on the hotspot to create extra humidity. Works like a charm and I can continue to use the newspaper and avoid the dirtiness of the coconut husk itself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:

MalachiJ (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    I used aspen shavings for a while and it worked well, but I found it didn't hold humidity very well. I am now using Coconut Fiber substrate and my snake loves it. Its soft and doesn't smell bad and it hold humidity well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beeze For This Useful Post:

MalachiJ (06-03-2015),Vanouri (06-03-2015)

Thanks

Re: Substrate

I do have a humid hideout on his cool side, and I also have a humidifier/fogger that I use to keep the moss in the hideout nice n humid without it being wet. I guess what I'm really looking for is a nice looking substrate that will not get him dirty, I can deal with adding humidity as I have a humidifier and an extra timer I can put it on

Thanks

I would recommend kritters crumble (coarse grade) or similar coconut husk chips. This has all of the benefits of Coco fiber but is a lot less messy. To me it is the best looking substrate as all of the chips are relatively uniform in size and shape and it is extremely easy to clean and smells great. I switched off Cypress due to it getting all over tub walls and snakes and this has definitely solved that problem.
    Last edited by Horrorphile; 06-03-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MalachiJ View Post
    I do have a humid hideout on his cool side, and I also have a humidifier/fogger that I use to keep the moss in the hideout nice n humid without it being wet. I guess what I'm really looking for is a nice looking substrate that will not get him dirty, I can deal with adding humidity as I have a humidifier and an extra timer I can put it on
    Then I would suggest using Aspen shavings. They are littery, but they don't get your snake dirty. I haven't found that the coconut fiber gets him "dirty" either. I just have to brush it off if he burrowed into it. But by no means did I have to wash my snake using either of those. Aspen is definitely a good choice, IMO, if you're able to control humidity with those extra tools.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beeze For This Useful Post:

MalachiJ (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    So just to clarify you want something pleasing to your eye, that may no be as beneficial for the animal because they will get "dirty"? You would rather have to constantly mist, fog, adjust humidity so an animal that lives on and in the ground doesn't get dirt on it?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (06-03-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeze View Post
    Then I would suggest using Aspen shavings. They are littery, but they don't get your snake dirty. I haven't found that the coconut fiber gets him "dirty" either. I just have to brush it off if he burrowed into it. But by no means did I have to wash my snake using either of those. Aspen is definitely a good choice, IMO, if you're able to control humidity with those extra tools.

Aspen can and will eventually mold with high humidity in an enclosure.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast