Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,479

1 members and 3,478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Cut scale, or scale rot

A few days ago, my female managed to get her head stuck in a lip that the heat mat is enclosed in. She was struggling and I could hear the scales being lifted off her log, at the time I checked her all over and nothing was out of the ordenery. Today I took her out again and gave her another check over since she's just went cloudy, to find what can be seen as blood, but in the picture I'm starting to question scale rot. If scale rot, could this happen in a matter of days? I can pick up any medication if needed but would rather not stress her out with a 2 hour journey unless nessecary. Thanks

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rzxcf35mg...30555.jpg?dl=0

Thanks

Re: Cut scale, or scale rot

Edit: No other effected area, singular scale. Temps & humidity monitored regularly. Clean shed & health record. She's around 1yr 5 months. Substrate: aspen.

Apologies for double post, thought more information would help any advise anyone has to give

Thanks
    Wait till she sheds and see if it's still there. I imagine it won't be. In the meantime you can just use a Q-tip to apply betadine to it if you're really worried; it's just an antiseptic, so it'll be beneficial for both injuries and infections.

Doesn't look like scale rot though. That's usually on the belly, and typically shows up between the scales and not just on one scale. Plus, it's typically caused by wet bedding, so unless you keep her bedding soaked it's probably not that.
    Last edited by DVirginiana; 05-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Re: Cut scale, or scale rot

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Wait till she sheds and see if it's still there. I imagine it won't be. In the meantime you can just use a Q-tip to apply betadine to it if you're really worried; it's just an antiseptic, so it'll be beneficial for both injuries and infections.

Doesn't look like scale rot though. That's usually on the belly, and typically shows up between the scales and not just on one scale. Plus, it's typically caused by wet bedding, so unless you keep her bedding soaked it's probably not that.
    Ah, thank you. She'll be due for shedding within the next week, would you suggest using the betadine now, or only if it's still there after the shed?

Thanks
    lol Honestly, the betadine would probably be more for your peace of mind than any danger to the snake. Some people just feel better if they're doing something active, and putting betadine on one scale wouldn't have any negative consequences for the snake; probably wouldn't even notice you were doing it.

I'd personally leave it alone and not worry unless it starts to spread or look a lot worse.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi