Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

1 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanouri View Post
    Because I know my snake. Not all pets are alike and this goes for snakes too. While I get that mY Vraska may be an exception and not all other snakes are social little critters, I'm pointing out that there is a view different than the others expressed here. The only way I could "prove" to you that my snake likes what she does was if you were to meet her in person.
    That really didn't answer my question though. What behavior is she doing, that informs you that she LOVES being out and about with you? There's something in her behavior that makes you believe this to be true, since she can't really tell you that she loves it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    ... You could give us a list of behaviors that indicate a lack of stress in ball pythons that your snake performs when you take it outside. These do not change from individual to individual.
    She acts the same as when I have her out inside the house. She's always active and looking to explore. When meeting new people, she licks at their direction then goes straight for making a new friend by crawling over to them. When we go home and put her back in the tank, she tries to get back out for a few minutes until she gives up and goes back in her hut. She's been compared to a dog for her friendliness and others who own snakes say that she is just the most social little thing. Again, I'm not sure how to prove to all of you that she is not stressed, but she seems fine to me and in fact seems to enjoy it. I would not do anything to purposefully hurt her or put her in danger.

Thanks

I'd take Vivian out, but only for short periods and places where she'd be safe , but I have no problem with her exploring my garden for a good 10-20 mins , obviously as long as I'm there (she's my precious). If I had the opportunity I would take her to school for a little show or outside for a little bit but I am honestly petrified of some hateful moron snatching her from me it killing her on the spot .

I think it's better to do it for diurnal species as there is little stress risk unlike nocturnal species such as BP's .

As long as you trust your self , your snake and the people around you it should be acceptable.

I too live in the UK and there is no law against it .

I think it would be nice to see more snakes out and about with their owners but it's up to the keeper not society , though one does have to watch out for the latter .

Stan

Stan:

Vivian the cornsnake
    Nymeria the Het. Pied Royal
    Baldrick the Piebald Royal
    Larry and Lizzy the common wall lizards

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stannos For This Useful Post:

Vanouri (06-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaydoncooper2 View Post
    I live in the UK and want to know if its legal to walk around town with a snake haha just curious i dont do this. Is it legal in any contry?

JAYDON.
    Also I think many diurnal species that are out in the day would definitely ENJOY some new stimuli, there's only so many things to explore inside the enclosure. (considerably less so for racks).

Stan

Stan:

Vivian the cornsnake
    Nymeria the Het. Pied Royal
    Baldrick the Piebald Royal
    Larry and Lizzy the common wall lizards

Thanks

She acts the same as when I have her out inside the house. She's always active and looking to explore. When meeting new people, she licks at their direction then goes straight for making a new friend by crawling over to them. When we go home and put her back in the tank, she tries to get back out for a few minutes until she gives up and goes back in her hut. She's been compared to a dog for her friendliness and others who own snakes say that she is just the most social little thing. Again, I'm not sure how to prove to all of you that she is not stressed, but she seems fine to me and in fact seems to enjoy it. I would not do anything to purposefully hurt her or put her in danger.
    Every one of those things you just mentioned can be an indicator of stress in a ball python. They are happiest when left alone and undisturbed; they may tolerate being handled, some more than others, but this doesn't mean they like it.

You don't have to try and explain this, it is literally the same list of reasons anyone ever gives as to why their snake 'likes' something.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Every one of those things you just mentioned can be an indicator of stress in a ball python. They are happiest when left alone and undisturbed; they may tolerate being handled, some more than others, but this doesn't mean they like it.

You don't have to try and explain this, it is literally the same list of reasons anyone ever gives as to why their snake 'likes' something.
    And this is your opinion based on how your snakes act. And as you said they CAN be signs of stress based on your opinion. I will continue to raise my snake how I see fit and you do the same with yours

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stannos View Post
    Also I think many diurnal species that are out in the day would definitely ENJOY some new stimuli, there's only so many things to explore inside the enclosure. (considerably less so for racks).
    My theory was that it may have more to do with metabolism than whether they are diurnal or nocturnal. My garters will come out and chase me around the room (to the extent they are able to in their tanks) begging for a treat or whatever. Being fish-eaters in the wild, garters have a way faster metabolism than most other snakes and therefore an increased seeking drive, since they'd have to be out hunting for food more often in the wild. They also have the distinction of being one of the few snakes that displays much social behavior beyond mating.
    I think a nocturnal species with a fast metabolism would probably show those same traits and drive to explore, just at night.

That's not to say my garters don't enjoy hiding, but they are much quicker to abandon a hide and go out looking for food than my BP.
    Last edited by DVirginiana; 06-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    I would venture to say that it would depend on the store. Personally, I can't think of any good reasons to have it around your neck while shopping in the first place.
    I take my largest one around my neck constantly in the summer. The smaller ones cn only wrap around my wrist and that makes me nervous. Most people either ask to see it or just veer away from me. I try to be respectful and stay away from crowds of people. Most stores dont even realize its a live snake because she stays put 95% of the time. If a store in the area says anything about it, I just make a mental note to not bring her there again. I obviously dont go to food establishments with her. Its just like walking a dog. I take her out when I have no real plans but just going out to go.

~Regards, YzGuy
    Sage- 1300g Ball
    Daenerys- 89g Ball
    Snow- 65g Axanthic Ball

Thanks

And this is your opinion based on how your snakes act. And as you said they CAN be signs of stress based on your opinion. I will continue to raise my snake how I see fit and you do the same with yours
    You are anthropomorphizing your animals.

Let me rephrase: Those are signs of stress in a ball python. What do we tell new keepers their BPs should be spending most of their time doing? Hiding. If someone has a snake that is active and out and about all the time, it's actually a sign that something is probably wrong with the husbandry.
    Last edited by DVirginiana; 06-02-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

blbsnakes (06-02-2015),GoingPostal (06-02-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (06-02-2015),rabernet (06-02-2015),Sonny1318 (06-02-2015)

Thanks

You are anthropomorphizing your animals.

Let me rephrase: Those are signs of stress in a ball python.
    Again, let me tell you that this is your opinion. You are relying on my crappy ways of description to tell what is going on with my snake. Unless you see her in person and deem she is "stressed", I see no reason to accept your reasoning over my own. She has no problems eating, being aggressive, balling up, shedding or showing aversion to people. I'd most likely notice a change in one or some of these things if my snake was "stressed". I thank you for your opinion but you need to know that there are exceptions and that your way may not always be the right way.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast