Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Sorry.
    That's fine and I agree. But no need to attack people, you know?
    If you just state your opinion, and someone else states theirs that doesn't align with yours, well...let the person who is looking for an answer decide for themselves. Which frankly is what you did by asking what Sonny what they meant. But other's didn't, and as you pointed out, it wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing happens on this site.
    1.1 Mojave
    0.1 Super Pastel Congo
    0.1 Pastel Het. Pied
    1.0 Nuclear
    1.0 Pied
    1.1 Spider
    1.0 Spinnerblast
    1.0 Calico Ringer
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pastel

Thanks
    I've noticed this forum can get a bit intense compared to others I'm on. I think a lot of it is just the product of explaining the same things a hundred times honestly. BPs are so commonly bought as starter or throw-away pets with no research it's easy to get irritated when maybe you shouldn't, because for every person doing research and doing what they should, there are ten more who aren't being responsible and ignore advice.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

EMSPrincess (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EMSPrincess View Post
    No, not right. I am not talking about the personal choices people make with their pets. I talking about what seems to be the good number of people on here who are straight up rude, sarcastic, and demeaning to each other.
    There is no reason to be mean when you can voice the exact same opinion in a kind way that communicates to the same depth the first method did. Especially to someone like the OP who had a honest question about the legal (not societal) ramifications of taking a snake outside.
    Sonny even tried to call a truce and DVirginianna ignored it.
    And then (Sonny to DVirginianna), "Sorry to say this, but you think an experienced keeper would be aware of these things." DVirginianna was asking your opinion out of curiosity, Sonny. They honestly wanted to know. And you felt the need to call them inadequate at what they do.
    You, Skiploder, attacked my comment for no reason, and with the shoes statement, implied I'm some sort of materialistic air-head (thank you for that, it's really hard to find a girl who likes both snakes and shoes these days).
    Albert Clark wrote "Right, the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed obviously doesn't know the difference between a domestic pet versus a exotic pet." Albert...they know the difference. No need to put them down for voicing their opinion.
    Diagga went at someone and called them selfish. No, they are not selfish. They are proud of their beautiful snake. Who wouldn't be?
    None of these things actually addressed the OP's comment.
    Please, be a little more kind.

All of the discussion addressed the OP's comment. It's a monumentally BAD idea to take a shy, retiring, easily stressed, nocturnal snake and sashay it around in public. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding about the natural history and needs of the snake. It has no benefit to the animal.

It is a bad idea because it defies the fundamental principle that as a keeper of an exotic pet, you should do everything in your power to provide a stress free healthy environment for your charge.

If someone holds the opinion that this is a "good" idea or a practice that should be performed, than they are MISINFORMED, and their opinion is devalued on this subject. In fact, I would hesitate to even hold this notion in high enough regard to call it an "opinion". An opinion should be based - to some degree - on fact.

Daigga's comment was spot on. If a person is so proud of something that they cease to consider it's well being in favor of showing it off, then they stride across the definition of "pride" and into "selfish". That person is doing something in the name of vanity that causes immeasurable stress to the animal. Inexcusable.

I watch people do a lot of stupid things. Many of these things are not intentional. Many of these things people new to the hobby would not intuitively understand.

This is not one of those things.

Please, be a little more kind to your snake. Your pride is no excuse to stress these animals. No one elected any of you to be an ambassador for this hobby.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-01-2015),Creepy Alien (06-02-2015),Daigga (06-01-2015),Dave Green (06-01-2015),Eric Alan (06-01-2015),Gio (06-02-2015),PitOnTheProwl (06-01-2015),rabernet (06-02-2015),Shann (06-01-2015),Sonny1318 (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Geeze I'm nervous to take my snakes in the front yard where someone may see, much less a park or public place.

I do take my snakes outside in my backyard that has a high privacy fence. The less my neighbors know the better.

Why do I do it? Because I want to. For me part of owning an animal is being to able to interact with it and I have for that reason chose species that generally accept handling.

If you want to educate the public, than join a group that does that sort of things, don't force it onto people. In my area there is a local reptile group that goes to schools and has a booth at the county fair to help educate people about reptiles.

As for taking animals outside, I see no issue with it within reason. I don't take my leopard geckos outside because they are nocturnal and have sensitive eyes. The snakes on the other hand seem to do fine. Only my boa seems to "like" going outside. I still have perfect sheds and perfect feeding habits. I won't lie to myself and say I do it for them. I do it because I enjoy it and find it relaxing. The snakes are fine, I'm happy and no harm is done.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HVani For This Useful Post:

EMSPrincess (06-01-2015),Shann (06-01-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    All of the discussion addressed the OP's comment. It's a monumentally BAD idea to take a shy, retiring, easily stressed, nocturnal snake and sashay it around in public. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding about the natural history and needs of the snake. It has no benefit to the animal.

It is a bad idea because it defies the fundamental principle that as a keeper of an exotic pet, you should do everything in your power to provide a stress free healthy environment for your charge.

If someone holds the opinion that this is a "good" idea or a practice that should be performed, than they are MISINFORMED, and their opinion is devalued on this subject. In fact, I would hesitate to even hold this notion in high enough regard to call it an "opinion". An opinion should be based - to some degree - on fact.

Daigga's comment was spot on. If a person is so proud of something that they cease to consider it's well being in favor of showing it off, then they stride across the definition of "pride" and into "selfish". That person is doing something in the name of vanity that causes immeasurable stress to the animal. Inexcusable.

I watch people do a lot of stupid things. Many of these things are not intentional. Many of these things people new to the hobby would not intuitively understand.

This is not one of those things.

Please, be a little more kind to your snake. Your pride is no excuse to stress these animals. No one elected any of you to be an ambassador for this hobby.
    Again, the OP's question was regarding the LEGAL ramifications of taking a snake outside, not the PERSONAL or SOCIETAL consequences of doing so. Perhaps a new thread needed to be started to address these two separate issues.
    I have yet to state whether I take my own snakes outside, in public, in the house, around my shoulders, to the store - heck, let's just throw a rocket trip to the moon in there. I have yet to state my own actions with my own snakes.
    Of course no one is an ambassador to the hobby, that is why it is so important to allow everyone to voice their own opinions and accept those opinions as important and respect them, even if you don't deem them valid.
    Last edited by EMSPrincess; 06-01-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    1.1 Mojave
    0.1 Super Pastel Congo
    0.1 Pastel Het. Pied
    1.0 Nuclear
    1.0 Pied
    1.1 Spider
    1.0 Spinnerblast
    1.0 Calico Ringer
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pastel

Thanks
    Yeah, but I feel like the logical next-step to the question of CAN you take a snake outside without being arrested is SHOULD you. I feel like one kind of needs to be addressed if you talk about the other.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

kiiarah (07-09-2015),Shann (06-02-2015),Sonny1318 (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    Disturbing the peace in the wonderful state of Utah in the good ole USA. Mind you if someone pushes the issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vanouri View Post
    I would like to disagree with both of you. How you raise and take care of your snakes is your own business. My snake personally loves going out, meeting new people and sight seeing. Yes there are people who don't like snakes, and if they are respectful human beings, they will remove themselves from the situation. I've taken my Vraska on walks for as long as I've had her. Never ever had an issue with her being sick or stressed. Raising a snake is much like raising a child, so don't call one's way of raising "irresponsible" just because it doesn't fit your standards. Thanks
    I'm just curious how you KNOW that your snake "loves" going out?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-02-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I'm just curious how you KNOW that your snake "loves" going out?
    Because I know my snake. Not all pets are alike and this goes for snakes too. While I get that mY Vraska may be an exception and not all other snakes are social little critters, I'm pointing out that there is a view different than the others expressed here. The only way I could "prove" to you that my snake likes what she does was if you were to meet her in person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vanouri View Post
    Because I know my snake. Not all pets are alike and this goes for snakes too. While I get that mY Vraska may be an exception and not all other snakes are social little critters, I'm pointing out that there is a view different than the others expressed here. The only way I could "prove" to you that my snake likes what she does was if you were to meet her in person.
    ... You could give us a list of behaviors that indicate a lack of stress in ball pythons that your snake performs when you take it outside. These do not change from individual to individual.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast