Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

0 members and 3,318 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Please elaborate....
    I actually thought this thread was pretty mild compared to a lot of what I've seen on here lol
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I actually thought this thread was pretty mild compared to a lot of what I've seen on here lol
    Exactly...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Please elaborate....
    Well, Sonny....

The only logical explanation is that she understands how cruel it is too take a shy, retiring, easily stressed, nocturnal animal and show it off in public like a new pair of shoes.

Right....?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),Sonny1318 (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    The environment of a reptile expo is very different than the environment of a supermarket or department store. A lot of vendors at the shows I frequent have heat tape set up under their displays, so the husbandry is as optimal as possible for the time it lasts. Besides, people expect to see these animals at an expo. You guys who think going to random public places with your snakes is acceptable have obviously never experiences a terrified individual threatening to either kill your animal or call the police. I don't keep my animals in opaque tubs their entire lives, I have a private living space where I can allow them some very closely monitored roaming time.

So many people tend to just assume their snake enjoys something based on silly factors. How many people here claim their snakes enjoy soaking? How many of those snakes would actually crawl into a tub of water of their own volition? Even if my some twisted science you could actually prove your snake does enjoy going out in public; so what? Kids like candy and hate naps, do you think giving them what they want is going to be the healthiest option for them at the end of the day? You are the animals owner, it's well being is your responsibility. Enjoying people's stares in public is selfish and in poor spirit.
    Hear hear!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

kiiarah (07-09-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    I selfishly take my boa outside to get awesome pictures of her. In my own backyard. With high walls so that potentially nosy neighbors don't see how big she is. It doesn't really benefit her at all. I just like taking nice pictures. But that is it. It's outside for a few minutes to take some pictures, then back inside to proper conditions.

When my friends learn I have a boa, and they want to meet her, they get to, but otherwise I am so scared of drawing unwanted attention, the last thing I want to do is parade her around. I don't want someone to make it their personal goal to see my pets banned.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but honestly people who take their snakes to the park or other very public places often seem to be doing it for attention. I think that as responsible pet owners, we should always ask ourselves, "are we doing it for our animal's benefit, or for our own?" And I don't keep reptiles to be interesting, or different, or cool. I keep them because I like to keep them them, and I keep to myself about it.
    Last edited by Shann; 05-31-2015 at 02:38 AM.
    -Shann

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shann For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015)

Thanks

There is a lot of grey area if you base every decision on what is best for the animal, staying in an unspoiled natural habitat is "best", but then we miss out on any interaction with them, so there will always be some degree of compromise. People want to interact with their pets, we want to breed new and interesting morphs, keep a wider variety of species, show them off to others, and want to handle them while providing a relatively healthy captive environment in return. Unlike a dog that needs constant interaction and socialization for it's wellbeing, reptiles need little if any, and it could cause health problems if they are stressed from handling outside their enclosure too often, or for too long, but they can acclimate to some degree, and increase their tolerance for being handled while maintaining low stress and good health.

In practice You need to know your pet, need to know your area, and need to control ALL interactions between your pet and the public, even if you have to leave or tell someone to back off if they are doing something wrong. Balancing the risk/reward between you, the public, and your animal is a personal decision that nobody should make for you, just don't be the idiot on the news after someone gets hurt, and don't be so concerned for the fears of others that you hide your animals like you are some sort of criminal. There is a fine line with public exposure of many things between managing fear and ignorance and the goal of normalizing interactions and promoting understanding. I have taken snakes and Beardies out in public, although not as often as my Dogs, and have had far more positive encounters than negative, but I am selective on who I take, where and when, I transport reptiles in a heated travel bin, and put them away at the first sign of stress.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Well, Sonny....

The only logical explanation is that she understands how cruel it is too take a shy, retiring, easily stressed, nocturnal animal and show it off in public like a new pair of shoes.

Right....?
    No, not right. I am not talking about the personal choices people make with their pets. I talking about what seems to be the good number of people on here who are straight up rude, sarcastic, and demeaning to each other.
    There is no reason to be mean when you can voice the exact same opinion in a kind way that communicates to the same depth the first method did. Especially to someone like the OP who had a honest question about the legal (not societal) ramifications of taking a snake outside.
    Sonny even tried to call a truce and DVirginianna ignored it.
    And then (Sonny to DVirginianna), "Sorry to say this, but you think an experienced keeper would be aware of these things." DVirginianna was asking your opinion out of curiosity, Sonny. They honestly wanted to know. And you felt the need to call them inadequate at what they do.
    You, Skiploder, attacked my comment for no reason, and with the shoes statement, implied I'm some sort of materialistic air-head (thank you for that, it's really hard to find a girl who likes both snakes and shoes these days).
    Albert Clark wrote "Right, the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed obviously doesn't know the difference between a domestic pet versus a exotic pet." Albert...they know the difference. No need to put them down for voicing their opinion.
    Diagga went at someone and called them selfish. No, they are not selfish. They are proud of their beautiful snake. Who wouldn't be?
    None of these things actually addressed the OP's comment.
    Please, be a little more kind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EMSPrincess For This Useful Post:

Monty44 (01-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMSPrincess View Post
    No, not right. I am not talking about the personal choices people make with their pets. I talking about what seems to be the good number of people on here who are straight up rude, sarcastic, and demeaning to each other.
    There is no reason to be mean when you can voice the exact same opinion in a kind way that communicates to the same depth the first method did. Especially to someone like the OP who had a honest question about the legal (not societal) ramifications of taking a snake outside.
    Sonny even tried to call a truce and DVirginianna ignored it.
    And then (Sonny to DVirginianna), "Sorry to say this, but you think an experienced keeper would be aware of these things." DVirginianna was asking your opinion out of curiosity, Sonny. They honestly wanted to know. And you felt the need to call them inadequate at what they do.
    You, Skiploder, attacked my comment for no reason, and with the shoes statement, implied I'm some sort of materialistic air-head (thank you for that, it's really hard to find a girl who likes both snakes and shoes these days).
    Albert Clark wrote "Right, the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed obviously doesn't know the difference between a domestic pet versus a exotic pet." Albert...they know the difference. No need to put them down for voicing their opinion.
    Diagga went at someone and called them selfish. No, they are not selfish. They are proud of their beautiful snake. Who wouldn't be?
    None of these things actually addressed the OP's comment.
    Please, be a little more kind.
    ?? I didn't ignore a 'truce' because there was no 'argument'. I was curious as to why Sonny had that opinion and felt strongly enough to recommend it to others, so I asked for some clarification. Not because I particularly needed to know, but because I'd want to know if I was a new keeper reading this thread. I wasn't offended by the response because it really wasn't that offensive. I've got over ten years' experience working with snakes and I'm confident in my ability to avoid disease and injury from letting a snake sit on my shoulder. I'm also okay with Sonny choosing not to. Now that he's given his (entirely understandable) reason why, it's up to whoever is reading to decide whether the risk of sickness/injury is worth allowing their snakes on their shoulders.

Maybe I'm just immune to peoples' tone over the internet, but it basically takes someone abusing an animal for me to be emotionally invested in a forum post.

In regards to someone being selfish for taking their snake to the store with them: It may be done with good intentions, but until someone can give me one reason it's beneficial to the snake I've got to agree it's a selfish thing to do.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-01-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    ?? I didn't ignore a 'truce' because there was no 'argument'. I was curious as to why Sonny had that opinion and felt strongly enough to recommend it to others, so I asked for some clarification. Not because I particularly needed to know, but because I'd want to know if I was a new keeper reading this thread. I wasn't offended by the response because it really wasn't that offensive. I've got over ten years' experience working with snakes and I'm confident in my ability to avoid disease and injury from letting a snake sit on my shoulder. I'm also okay with Sonny choosing not to. Now that he's given his (entirely understandable) reason why, it's up to whoever is reading to decide whether the risk of sickness/injury is worth allowing their snakes on their shoulders.

Maybe I'm just immune to peoples' tone over the internet, but it basically takes someone abusing an animal for me to be emotionally invested in a forum post.

In regards to someone being selfish for taking their snake to the store with them: It may be done with good intentions, but until someone can give me one reason it's beneficial to the snake I've got to agree it's a selfish thing to do.
    Ok..the store? No. That's gross. The park? Maybe. Far away from tiny humans and the makers of the tiny humans. But that really wasn't the point of my post...
    1.1 Mojave
    0.1 Super Pastel Congo
    0.1 Pastel Het. Pied
    1.0 Nuclear
    1.0 Pied
    1.1 Spider
    1.0 Spinnerblast
    1.0 Calico Ringer
    0.1 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Black Pastel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMSPrincess View Post
    Ok..the store? No. That's gross. The park? Maybe. Far away from tiny humans and the makers of the tiny humans. But that really wasn't the point of my post...
    ...Well, the majority of my reply dealt with the other part of your post but you're only replying to my last sentence. Like I said, maybe I just have a thick skin, but I really didn't see anything that offensive in this thread.

People on this forum can be blunt, especially when it comes to things that might stress or harm a snake, and that's what I was talking about. It's better for people to discuss and be blunt about things than to let someone carry on stressing their animals for their own benefit just because they don't want to ruffle any feathers.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast