Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

2 members and 3,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I don't see anything inherently wrong health-wise or hygienically with letting a BP sit around your neck? May not be a great idea with some of the really big constrictors, but a quick swipe with a washcloth or some GermX afterward would clean your neck just as good as it does your hands.

I would never take any of my current animals outside for any reason. They're just too small and easily lost. They're only slow till they decide to motor (even my box turtle) and then you've turned away for five seconds and they're gone. I might if I had a large tortoise or a big lizard, but otherwise I'd be too worried about an escape attempt. I give my turtle supervised roaming time in my reptile room, and even then I've had to go on hunts trying to find her. The amount of time it takes for reptiles to disappear on you is just almost nonexistant.
    Then let's agree, not to agree. 😉 Not all us will have the same views or opinions. And you very respectively shared yours. 😊

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Then let's agree, not to agree. 😉 Not all us will have the same views or opinions. And you very respectively shared yours. 😊
    I'm just curious as to why you're so opposed to someone letting their BP sit around their neck since you never gave a reason for it. I don't care that you don't want to do it, and I doubt the snakes care either, it's just when someone recommends or un-recommends something to other keepers it's good to know the reasoning behind it.
    If the reason is that it just bugs you personally, that's perfectly fine, but other people reading this thread should know that's the reason, and it's not because it harms you or the snake. If you have other reasons that you think it is bad for either the keeper or the snake, I'd like to know that as well. Just asking for clarification since 'you shouldn't let your BP sit on your neck/shoulders' isn't a very commonly heard piece of advice.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

I'm just curious as to why you're so opposed to someone letting their BP sit around their neck since you never gave a reason for it. I don't care that you don't want to do it, and I doubt the snakes care either, it's just when someone recommends or un-recommends something to other keepers it's good to know the reasoning behind it.
    If the reason is that it just bugs you personally, that's perfectly fine, but other people reading this thread should know that's the reason, and it's not because it harms you or the snake. If you have other reasons that you think it is bad for either the keeper or the snake, I'd like to know that as well. Just asking for clarification since 'you shouldn't let your BP sit on your neck/shoulders' isn't a very commonly heard piece of advice.
    Because it is not a very healthy habit to let reptiles of any kind to get near your facial area. It's sort of a no brainier. It's not sanitary or "good hygiene". And after years of keeping large constrictors it could be very hazardous. Sorry to say this, but you think an experienced keeper would be aware of these things. Not to mention if it did decide to bite you, your face would make an excellent target. Remember And anything that slithers in its own waste is not something I would want by my head in general. And with your mouth emitting all that heat, what a target. Need I say more.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),Shann (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Okay, I was just curious. As I said, I could see it getting dangerous with big constrictors, but as long as you take reasonable precautions I personally think the hygienic bit could be made safe; after all, dogs lick their rear ends and we still let them give us kisses and lick our hands lol. I don't do it simply because it's something I've never really had the desire to do, but occasionally I've had one of my snakes crawl up my arm and really thought nothing of it. Just made sure to wash the area off like I do my hands.
    I understand the thinking behind the bite risk, and I certainly have animals (including a six inch long garter) that I wouldn't let anywhere near my face because of their temperament, while some I feel I can predict well enough to avoid a bite to the facial area.

To each his own though. Your reasoning is solid, I think it's just a matter of each keeper's assessment of the risks involved. Like I said, I was just interested in hearing your thoughts behind it.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Just out of curiosity:

What do you think your snakes are getting by being bandied about in public? I mean, other than drawing attention to yourselves, what benefit is there to the animal?

Now, ball pythons are nocturnal, maybe nominally crepuscular. Studies have shown that they do not benefit in many of the ways other reptiles do with regards to calcium metabolism and UV.

So if their instinct is to den somewhere safe during the day, what psychological effect do you think it has on them to haul them into the sunlight and talk them for walks, take them to the store, etc.?

OK, I get that a couple of you are going to get extremely defensive, probably even huffy and pissy....and from some of you I would expect no less.

For the rest of you that condone this behavior and can answer the question without getting defensive, please enlighten me as to the benefits to the animal. Again, "conversation piece" does not constitute a cogent reason, nor does "educating the public". Your job as keeper is to provide a healthy environment that minimizes stress.

Thanks in advance.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Darkbird (05-31-2015),DennisM (05-31-2015),GoingPostal (06-01-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),rabernet (06-02-2015),Shann (05-31-2015),Sonny1318 (06-01-2015)

Thanks
    I pretty much agree with that actually. The only real exception I would see is if someone were doing an actual formal educational program. We occasionally had those at my elementary school when I was growing up and I can honestly say they did a lot to influence my thinking on reptiles. But, yeah that's kind of a different ballpark than taking a snake to the store with you.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Shann (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

I pretty much agree with that actually. The only real exception I would see is if someone were doing an actual formal educational program. We occasionally had those at my elementary school when I was growing up and I can honestly say they did a lot to influence my thinking on reptiles. But, yeah that's kind of a different ballpark than taking a snake to the store with you.
    With diurnal species that benefit from sunlight, I would suggest people build outdoor enclosures if they are so darned concerned about the lack of UV or space. I live in northern California and have built outdoor pens for various animals to enjoy SUPERVISED outdoor time. Only animals that do not show signs of stress are taken into the pens.

However, in ball pythons, this is of no moment.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 05-31-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    With diurnal species that benefit from sunlight, I would suggest people build outdoor enclosures if they are so darned concerned about the lack of UV or space.

However, in ball pythons, this is of no moment.

The only time I ever took an animal outside for sun was when I first got my turtle and, being kind of a surprise rescue, I didn't have all the equipment I needed for her. Even then she was in a box, as I never trust an animal to roam around on its own without running off.

The idea of taking any of mine outside just makes me cringe because there's so much that could go wrong, and I'd never stop beating myself up over it if something happened while I was doing something that the animal didn't even need or want.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

I wish I could "reply with thread" to like 10 of these. Like good god why are you all so mean.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMSPrincess View Post
    I wish I could "reply with thread" to like 10 of these. Like good god why are you all so mean.....
    Please elaborate....

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast