Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

1 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Oh i was never planning on doing it but i know some strange pets are taken outside i was wonderinf thats all

JAYDON.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kinley View Post
    A second opinion on the outfit of course!

Me: "Howard does this dress make me look fat? Slither right for yes, and left for no....."
    Howard: *rolls over and begins to wobble*
    Me: "Well alright then..." *returns dress to rack and goes home*

I'm only joking
    Thank you for getting my sense of humour. Some of the people here are so serious! And somewhat inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanouri View Post
    I would like to disagree with both of you. How you raise and take care of your snakes is your own business. My snake personally loves going out, meeting new people and sight seeing. Yes there are people who don't like snakes, and if they are respectful human beings, they will remove themselves from the situation. I've taken my Vraska on walks for as long as I've had her. Never ever had an issue with her being sick or stressed. Raising a snake is much like raising a child, so don't call one's way of raising "irresponsible" just because it doesn't fit your standards. Thanks
    Yeah I'm in the process of training my little guy to be comfortable around my neck, putting him there and sitting/walking around at home for increasing durations.

I find the attitude about only ever keeping snakes trapped in an opaque plastic tub, strange. At any reptile expo there are hundreds of snakes "out in public", in less than optimal husbandry conditions, yet the snakes manage to survive the 'ordeal' of being transported, seen and handled by many strangers in a bright and noisy environment for hours.
    Last edited by The Golem; 05-30-2015 at 07:20 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

EMSPrincess (05-31-2015),Monty44 (01-24-2017),Vanouri (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    The environment of a reptile expo is very different than the environment of a supermarket or department store. A lot of vendors at the shows I frequent have heat tape set up under their displays, so the husbandry is as optimal as possible for the time it lasts. Besides, people expect to see these animals at an expo. You guys who think going to random public places with your snakes is acceptable have obviously never experiences a terrified individual threatening to either kill your animal or call the police. I don't keep my animals in opaque tubs their entire lives, I have a private living space where I can allow them some very closely monitored roaming time.

So many people tend to just assume their snake enjoys something based on silly factors. How many people here claim their snakes enjoy soaking? How many of those snakes would actually crawl into a tub of water of their own volition? Even if my some twisted science you could actually prove your snake does enjoy going out in public; so what? Kids like candy and hate naps, do you think giving them what they want is going to be the healthiest option for them at the end of the day? You are the animals owner, it's well being is your responsibility. Enjoying people's stares in public is selfish and in poor spirit.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

DennisM (05-31-2015),Eric Alan (05-31-2015),GoingPostal (06-01-2015),lorrainesmom (06-01-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),rabernet (06-02-2015),Skiploder (05-31-2015),Sonny1318 (05-31-2015)

Thanks

This reminds me of this guy who would bring his snake to the beach every weekend..

Very large 10+ foot albino python but not sure which specific species

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Not outside, not around the neck. Old school. No apologies.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

rabernet (06-02-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I go on walks with my ball python around my neck, but never in terribly public places. I wouldn't dare go into some random store with him, in fact the only store I would take him in is a pet store. Why do I do it? Well, I think it's wonderful for any animal to get real sunlight, and he's a pretty curious little guy and is always periscoping and tongue flicking on walks I guess you could say he's enjoying it, he's definitely not scared!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gameonpython For This Useful Post:

Vanouri (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Not outside, not around the neck. Old school. No apologies.
    Ok outside in your yard, for photos. But attention, no. My daughters school even encouraged her to do a science fair project with them. And we are (Punnett Square). But to go to the store, no. And if you like them around your neck, more power to you. Hygiene, safety again no. Here come the I'm wrong comments. Just because it's not illegal, doesn't make it a good thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Shann (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    I don't see anything inherently wrong health-wise or hygienically with letting a BP sit around your neck? May not be a great idea with some of the really big constrictors, but a quick swipe with a washcloth or some GermX afterward would clean your neck just as good as it does your hands.

I would never take any of my current animals outside for any reason. They're just too small and easily lost. They're only slow till they decide to motor (even my box turtle) and then you've turned away for five seconds and they're gone. I might if I had a large tortoise or a big lizard, but otherwise I'd be too worried about an escape attempt. I give my turtle supervised roaming time in my reptile room, and even then I've had to go on hunts trying to find her. The amount of time it takes for reptiles to disappear on you is just almost nonexistant.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I would never take any of my current animals outside for any reason. They're just too small and easily lost. They're only slow till they decide to motor (even my box turtle) and then you've turned away for five seconds and they're gone. I might if I had a large tortoise or a big lizard, but otherwise I'd be too worried about an escape attempt. I give my turtle supervised roaming time in my reptile room, and even then I've had to go on hunts trying to find her. The amount of time it takes for reptiles to disappear on you is just almost nonexistant.
    Runaway turtle solution

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (05-30-2015),EMSPrincess (05-31-2015),Enzo03 (06-09-2015),Fraido (06-01-2015),Monty44 (01-24-2017),Paul's Pieds (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    OMG I need to try that. It'd be so cute. I already make her little party hats sometimes, and a blastoise costume for Halloween one year lol. She doesn't seem to notice or care, so I figure no harm done
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

Black Hills Reptiles (06-02-2015)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast