Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

1 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydoncooper2 View Post
    Vanouri, do you have it round your neck and are you allowed into stores

JAYDON.
    I do keep her around my neck, she's become a local celebrity. Depends on the store, most people don't even notice her honestly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanouri For This Useful Post:

The Golem (05-29-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    In my opinion, unless the animal is in the privacy of your own home/yard, there is no reason to take it anywhere besides the vet. The vas majority of people have intense fears of snakes, and taking them in public often times does more harm than good... Especially with all the drama around the Lacey Act here in the states, all reptile keepers need to be respectful and do everything they can to lay low and not cause commotion. The few people I have known who handle their snakes for hours a day and tote their snake around with them have issues with the snakes getting respiratory infections, mites, refusing food, etc.

I don't really see any benefit for the snake, and it seems like a selfish thing for the human to do, in my opinion at least. All the time outside of the enclosure is time away from proper husbandry and increased levels of stress for the snake. If I want to take a pet with me somewhere to a pet friendly place it is my dog. To the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed, just because a place is dog friendly doesn't mean it is reptile, especially snake, friendly, and we need to respect that.

I used to work in a small pet store in Florida, and I have literally seen people pass out or get physically violent towards someone when there was a snake around their neck or in their hand, even though they knew our store also sold reptiles.
    ~Marissa~

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

200xth (06-01-2015),Darkbird (05-30-2015),dr del (05-30-2015),Eric Alan (05-30-2015),GoingPostal (06-01-2015),Kukulkan213 (06-05-2015),pinkpineappleshoes (05-30-2015),Shann (05-30-2015),snakey68 (05-30-2015),Sonny1318 (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    I wouldn't do it myself. I've seen someone at the local kroger that had their beardie with them, and honestly I was just thinking about how people at a grocery store could cause a fuss about the health hazards. Not to mention that my beardie is particularly fussy when out and about, and most of my snakes aren't willing to hold still either, so I can't imagine it being a pleasant experience for me or my pets. Oh, and then there's the super fun part when your out in public with an animal and random people come up to touch it without asking, or small children scream in excitement because it's something they don't usually get to see. When we would take our beardie to the pet store and couldn't get through shopping with any kind of speed due to everyone asking to hold her and some people being offended when they were told no (You can absolutely not hold my bolty dragon who has to be leashed to be in public!).

It ended up being such a hassle that we quit taking her anywhere, and I just wouldn't do it with my snakes who are a good deal more shy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Is it legal to walk around outside with your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    In my opinion, unless the animal is in the privacy of your own home/yard, there is no reason to take it anywhere besides the vet. The vas majority of people have intense fears of snakes, and taking them in public often times does more harm than good... Especially with all the drama around the Lacey Act here in the states, all reptile keepers need to be respectful and do everything they can to lay low and not cause commotion. The few people I have known who handle their snakes for hours a day and tote their snake around with them have issues with the snakes getting respiratory infections, mites, refusing food, etc.

I don't really see any benefit for the snake, and it seems like a selfish thing for the human to do, in my opinion at least. All the time outside of the enclosure is time away from proper husbandry and increased levels of stress for the snake. If I want to take a pet with me somewhere to a pet friendly place it is my dog. To the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed, just because a place is dog friendly doesn't mean it is reptile, especially snake, friendly, and we need to respect that.

I used to work in a small pet store in Florida, and I have literally seen people pass out or get physically violent towards someone when there was a snake around their neck or in their hand, even though they knew our store also sold reptiles.
    Kudos to you MKmorphs you took the words out of my mouth! People who take their animals beyond the confines of their homes and out into the public arena are taking unnecessary risks. A lot of the keepers who do that are just showing off. If they were really responsible reptile keepers they would be respectful of some peoples fears of snakes. Right, the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed obviously doesn't even know the difference between a domestic pet versus a exotic pet. Some herp keepers just continue to make it more and more difficult for other responsible keepers. USARK is out here fighting the government for the rights of people to own these exotic animals but some of us could care less as evidenced by the actions of some.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),rabernet (06-02-2015),Shann (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    I've known of people who would take their monitors on leashed walks that they seemed to really enjoy, but that was on private property without a bunch of frightened or over-enthusiastic people around.

EDIT: Some pet store employees don't even like reptiles. I got my first snake because he escaped and the cashier told me I could have him for free if I could catch him because she was afraid to handle the snakes. And this was a newborn garter... So, like, smaller than your typical nightcrawler.
    Last edited by DVirginiana; 05-29-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Kudos to you MKmorphs you took the words out of my mouth! People who take their animals beyond the confines of their homes and out into the public arena are taking unnecessary risks. A lot of the keepers who do that are just showing off. If they were really responsible reptile keepers they would be respectful of some peoples fears of snakes. Right, the person who said they take their snake anywhere a dog is allowed obviously doesn't even know the difference between a domestic pet versus a exotic pet. Some herp keepers just continue to make it more and more difficult for other responsible keepers. USARK is out here fighting the government for the rights of people to own these exotic animals but some of us could care less as evidenced by the actions of some.
    I would like to disagree with both of you. How you raise and take care of your snakes is your own business. My snake personally loves going out, meeting new people and sight seeing. Yes there are people who don't like snakes, and if they are respectful human beings, they will remove themselves from the situation. I've taken my Vraska on walks for as long as I've had her. Never ever had an issue with her being sick or stressed. Raising a snake is much like raising a child, so don't call one's way of raising "irresponsible" just because it doesn't fit your standards. Thanks

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vanouri For This Useful Post:

DesertWolf77 (06-26-2015),EMSPrincess (05-31-2015),Monty44 (01-24-2017),The Golem (05-30-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    A second opinion on what?

The snake doesn't care what colors your decorations are. But bringing a picture of your snake would be less stressful to the animal than bringing the actual snake.
    A second opinion on the outfit of course!

Me: "Howard does this dress make me look fat? Slither right for yes, and left for no....."
    Howard: *rolls over and begins to wobble*
    Me: "Well alright then..." *returns dress to rack and goes home*

I'm only joking

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinley For This Useful Post:

Monty44 (01-24-2017),The Golem (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    I have taken my girl to

1) The breeder's who made her, when I go to pick up mice, either so they can see how big she's gotten, or if I have a concern about a weird scale or something. I'm a paranoid mama.

2) Our most recent Renaissance Faire, at request of an organizer, for education of kids, in a zone where it was noted there were "unique" animals.

3) Outside on my porch sometimes.

This became a huge debate on my Facebook group the other day. Please no one be irresponsible, if not for your snake's sake then for the sake of every keeper who could lose their animal if laws made us unable to have them.
    Last edited by anicatgirl; 05-30-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydoncooper2 View Post
    I live in the UK and want to know if its legal to walk around town with a snake haha just curious i dont do this. Is it legal in any contry?

JAYDON.
    I live in the UK too.

there are no laws about it - but given the normal temp range etc over here it is a really bad idea anyway.

Plus for every person who likes your pet there are at least ten who will not and one who will be terrified. For the sake of the possible bad press for the hobby please just don't do it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-31-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (05-31-2015),Shann (05-30-2015),snakey68 (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    I've kept snakes for many years now, and I realize how most people are with them. Most people being deathly afraid of them, I try not to bring them in public just because I know there's a great chance people will act negatively. Every now and then I'll take some of mine out into my own yard for some sunshine. No need bringing them into public unessecarily. I love my snakes to death but some people act like they'll kill them any chance the snakes get
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast