Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

3 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Lightbulb Help with snake tub set up

ok so i am in the process of setting up a tub for my bp because i am tired of the tank and i wish to get more bp's in the future (basically in the process of trial and error)....i am using a sterilite 28 qt....and i build a 1 snake rack/box using melamine to secure the tub..... i am using a ultratherm UTH, taped to the bottom of the tub with aluminum foil tape . http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrath...ter-uth-11-x11 ....which i know covers more than ⅓ of the tub... i put breathing holes near the bottom of the tub since heat rises....... OK SO HERES MY PROBLEM; with the uth the tub does not seem to get warm enough.... i can only reach about 75(F) and maybe 65-70(f) on the cool side...... now does the ambient temp of my room play a big part? (because i live in a dorm and i can't just accommodate the temp for my bp over my roommate) (and yes I'm allowed to have my bp)..... anyone have any ideas? my thermostat (for the ambient air) is set to 68(F) due to the summer

Thanks
    What is the heat tape set at? You have a thermostat right? Ambient temperatures are always kind of sketchy. And yes, the temperatures in your dorm will effect the temperatures in the tub.

Thanks

Re: Help with snake tub set up

no i don't have a thermostat set up with it because I'm just experimenting.... so i just decided to plug it into the wall for max power just to test it out...... if the thermostat was to boost the heat mats, heat output then i would get one. but if the heat mat is at full power plugged up to the wall and still not warm enough why get one..... but I'm a rookie at this if you got some other ideas please share

thinking of just buying a personal portable heater with a thermostat

Thanks
    DO NOT USE A UTH WITHOUT A THERMOSTAT... you will burn the snake, and a uth will not raise ambient temps, also how are you measuring the temps, uth only heat the surface they are in contact with so if your using a dial guage or a probe inside the tank your reading arent going to be to accurite

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M.P.C For This Useful Post:

The Golem (05-29-2015)

Thanks

Re: Help with snake tub set up

Unplug your heat mat right now, and go buy a thermostat to regulate it with. Do NOTHING until you do that.
    0.1 het VPI axanthic (Arya)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I've seen unregulated heat tape get hot enough to melt the plastic tub. Do not run it without a thermostat.