Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,095

1 members and 3,094 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Finally getting a BTS!

Thanks for the pics jclaiborne!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Great pics again! The BTS looks so chill in the second pic (and HUGE! lol). I ended up going with #3. The seller said they were originally imports, but they have been with him for 5 months and are healthy. He also said that #3 is better looking in person and is a little more outgoing than the other one.

I feel very lucky to have gotten him for such a good price. The same seller had these 2 listed a month ago for $275 each, but he is going on a long trip and wants to downsize (hence the price drop). He will be shipped on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I will be using a CB70 tub setup for temporary housing, but plan on ordering the boamaster cage for his permanent setup.

Thanks again for your help / advice!

Awesome! So glad you found one you liked. They can be very chill for the most part. Being that yours is an import give it a little time to setting without disturbing it. I have found that my female can sometimes be a little hand shy at first, and she has been in my care for 2 years. So instead of just going in and grabbing your bluey put your hand flat in the cage in front of it and let it get use to you and your scent for at least the first few interactions, then as it stops backing away from your hand, you can start scooping it up.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-27-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice!
    It should be shipped next Monday or Tuesday, so it'll be here Tuesday - Wednesday. Hopefully that'll give me time to setup everything. I'm getting supplies to make my first batch of skink chow. I'm planning on using a high quality dog food (EVO 95% beef), frozen ground turkey, egg, and veggies (kale, carrots, squash, apple). I've never been so excited to use my food processor lol.

What substrate mix do you use for yours? I think I might use cypres mulch and spaghnum moss.. I've never bought them in bulk before, but people recommended buying them from home depot.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Thanks for the advice!
    It should be shipped next Monday or Tuesday, so it'll be here Tuesday - Wednesday. Hopefully that'll give me time to setup everything. I'm getting supplies to make my first batch of skink chow. I'm planning on using a high quality dog food (EVO 95% beef), frozen ground turkey, egg, and veggies (kale, carrots, squash, apple). I've never been so excited to use my food processor lol.

What substrate mix do you use for yours? I think I might use cypres mulch and spaghnum moss.. I've never bought them in bulk before, but people recommended buying them from home depot.
    Sorry, just saw this. For mine I actually use dirt (topsoil), sand, and peat moss. You can get it all from HD, just make sure there are no additives like manuer, fertalizer etc. The Peat Moss at HD is organic, for sand I use play sand as it is washed, and the topsoil is basically just fill dirt. From that mix you can go bio-active if you decide to add a cleanup crew. It is more of a natural setup and holds moisture/humidity better than mulch.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-29-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanks! I may try to do a bio active setup once I get the pvc cage... Not sure if that will work in the temporary bin setup. I do like the idea of him being able to burrow and I'm not sure how well that would work with mulch.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Thanks! I may try to do a bio active setup once I get the pvc cage... Not sure if that will work in the temporary bin setup. I do like the idea of him being able to burrow and I'm not sure how well that would work with mulch.
    I started with mulch and it was a PAIN. Now I don't use any form of mulch for any of my reptiles. For the bin you can still use the dirt mixture and add some depth to it (if the substrate is deep dont bother with a heat mat) and just not add the bugs.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    Thanks!
    I did go with a dirt mixture, used a combination of peat, sand, dirt, and a little mulch.. I think I have enough bedding supplies for the next year lol. It is about 4" deep, so enough room to dig. I am just going to do a heat lamp and florescent light... No UTH. So far I've got 2 large pieces of cork bark on the "cool" end as hides and a water bowl and small basking rock... apparently the one I had was smaller than I remember. I will have to find a bigger rock and put in some some fake plants, but otherwise, I think the setup is good to go. The tub I'm using is basically the size of a CB70, but about 18" tall instead of 6". Hopefully it'll be big enough for a couple months until I can order the pvc cage.

I am testing temps now with the basking light / rock. I did a mesh cutout over the hot side of the tub so that it will get uninterrupted light from the lamp.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (05-30-2015)

Thanks

Awesome! What Temps are you going for? I keep my hot spot right around 100
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-30-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    I think anything around 95-100 would be fine.. The tub is in my critter room and the ambient temp stays at 78 - 80f.

I got a large piece of granite stone to go under the hot spot, so hopefully that will work.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

I think anything around 95-100 would be fine.. The tub is in my critter room and the ambient temp stays at 78 - 80f.

I got a large piece of granite stone to go under the hot spot, so hopefully that will work.
    Sounds good. I have seen my guys basking at as high as 110! however that raises the ambients too high in the cage they are in now so I had to find a happy medium. Did some measuring yesterday and their hot spot fluctuates between 96-103 depending on how warm the ambients are in the house.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast