Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,910

0 members and 2,910 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally getting a BTS!

i'm finally moving forward with getting a BTS! My husband actually Ok'd me getting one for my anniversary gift... Now it's just down to whether or not I can find one I like for a price he won't freak out over. Unfortunately, I don't like the look of most northerns (which are the most readily available and cheapest option), so I'm looking into finding breeders of any of the other varieties. I found a breeder selling (I think CBB) IJs for $250 plus shipping, which I think is fair, but we'll see if my husband agrees. I wouldn't pay that much for animals that aren't CBB, so I'll have to confirm with the breeder. The same breeder also breeds lots of northerns, so I have that option if I don't go with an IJ.

I will be setting up the new skink in a 20gl long initially (assuming it is a baby), after that, it may get housed in a large tub for now. The breeder I'm looking into buying from uses freedom breeder racks for his skinks (no UV, he uses heat tape on the racks and supplements with Cal + D3 and vitamins) and says that they do very well, so I might look into getting an open-sided rack if I get more BTS. For now, I have all the equipment I need to setup either a UTH or a basking spot (excepting the daytime bulb), so I will have to see how the skink does.

Very excited about this finally happening. I will definitely post pics for you guys when I get him/her and of the setup.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    First of all Congrats. You won't be disappointed, still one of my favorite pets!

Definately confirm that the IJ's are CBB, you don't find many in the US right now that aren't imported, either WC or "farm raised". I have 2 IJs that I have been trying to get to lock for 2 years now with no luck (imported), but I love them anyways. That being said make sure you brush up on the husbandry differences between northern's and IJ's or any Indo species of BTS. They need a higher humidity than northerns, different basking temps, can be a little more shy at first (may not be true if they are really CBB). Also look into the types of food they need, I always cringe when I hear "high quality dog and cat food".

I personally don't agree with keeping Blueys, or any lizard for that matter, in a rack, mine are active and use every inch of their 3x2x2 cages, I am currently building them 4x2x2 cages so they have more room. The no UV debate is always discussed, however I try to provide a naturalistic setup for mine, so deep bio active substrate, a basking spot (bulb, no heat mat) UV and plenty of hides. BUT to each their own.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-26-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    yeah, I will definitely confirm them being CBB with him first... He breeds northerns and westerns, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were CBB. I've seen several farmed IJ or other indonesian skinks for sale online and just don't want to deal with treating for parasites, etc. If I can't find a CBB of the variety I want (or at least CB), then I will just go with a dark colored northern CBB baby.

Apparently this breeder has over 120 skinks and uses racks for all of them with good results (I think he's been breeding for 25 years). I'd love to do a 4' x 2' setup for this one, but may need to build a cage. It is tempting to use a rack because I can get a 3 shelf cb70 (AP economy) open sided rack for $180 including shipping, whereas that won't even buy one basic AP 4'x2' cage... I much prefer the look of the AP cages, but money may be a factor. I am also not very handy, so am a little intimidated about building my own cage... My biggest issue would be what materials to use and how to seal it so that it is water tight.

From my reading, you can use quality dog food if you add fresh veggies and supplements... Many people actually have issues trying to do a no-dog-food diet if they don't supplement correctly.

I am planning on doing a 50/50 mix of quality dog food and ground turkey (or other meat), then do 50% fresh veggies and 10% fruit and grind it all up in a food processor.

I've been told that you can freeze their food in ice cube trays, then thaw out each cube before feeding... I will probably do that and add vitamin / cal+D supplements before each meal. With only 1 skink to feed, I'm sure a batch of food will last me a long time.

Thanks for your advice!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Finally getting a BTS!

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    yeah, I will definitely confirm them being CBB with him first... He breeds northerns and westerns, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were CBB. I've seen several farmed IJ or other indonesian skinks for sale online and just don't want to deal with treating for parasites, etc. If I can't find a CBB of the variety I want (or at least CB), then I will just go with a dark colored northern CBB baby.

Apparently this breeder has over 120 skinks and uses racks for all of them with good results (I think he's been breeding for 25 years). I'd love to do a 4' x 2' setup for this one, but may need to build a cage. It is tempting to use a rack because I can get a 3 shelf cb70 (AP economy) open sided rack for $180 including shipping, whereas that won't even buy one basic AP 4'x2' cage... I much prefer the look of the AP cages, but money may be a factor. I am also not very handy, so am a little intimidated about building my own cage... My biggest issue would be what materials to use and how to seal it so that it is water tight.

From my reading, you can use quality dog food if you add fresh veggies and supplements... Many people actually have issues trying to do a no-dog-food diet if they don't supplement correctly.

I am planning on doing a 50/50 mix of quality dog food and ground turkey (or other meat), then do 50% fresh veggies and 10% fruit and grind it all up in a food processor.

I've been told that you can freeze their food in ice cube trays, then thaw out each cube before feeding... I will probably do that and add vitamin / cal+D supplements before each meal. With only 1 skink to feed, I'm sure a batch of food will last me a long time.

Thanks for your advice!

He breeds westerns too?! I love westerns, but I am pretty sure they are way out of my price range! In my experience in building cages has come out to cost the same as buying off the shelf, however none of the cages available have a lip to offer a deep layer of substrate for burrowing etc, so I have had to modify the current cages I have now (visions) to allow for it. So building my own cages didn't save me any money, but I have gotten the exact cage I want for the same cost as an off the shelf that I would have to modify. All that being said I know that the "critter cam" guys in Australia use racks with success, it is just my personal preference to not use them. I just am not a fan because I see how active my guys can be.

I had to go through all the treatments for parasites for my female, but my male was a long term captive from a breeding program before we got him. You most definately can freeze the food. I make about a months batch at a time to share between my 2 blueys and tegu. As adults the blueys eat twice a week and I dose with Cal+D3 on one of those servings, but like I said I also provide the UVB. When I mix my food I used snails, ground turkey, gizards, liver, kidney, and eggs for the protein, then I mix in a variety of fruits, veggies and greens. Have you browsed through the food chart on the BTS site? There was a lot of really good info on there, and LLL actually made a really good 20 min video and posted it on youtube of how they make their food for their breeders. I used that as a baseline and build off of it. It took me quite a while to get them dialed in because a lot of the info out there for the Blueys is based on Northerns or other Aussie species. Luckily LLL's program was focusing on Indos and the girl that used to run it provided me with a lot of help along the way. Good luck finding one and be sure to post up pictures of the lil one when you get it!

Let me know if you have any questions along the way!
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanks again for the info..
    My bad... Easterns not Westerns *face palm*. Another guy on the BTS forum actually has a litter of eye-banded Easterns. those are only for people wanting "investment quality" animals though, as there are not many eye-banded Easterns in the US. the Easterns this breeder has are not eye banded.

The breeder I'm looking at is this guy. He doesn't have the IJs listed on his website, I read in an old post that he had some for sale, but again, I've got to check to see if they are CBB. He has a lot of Northerns for sale.

There's also a guy selling some Mereuke (sp?) juvies on KS / Fauna that I might look into. I think those are farm bred or WC, but appear to be long-term captives. They are about 12" long though and I was wanting to grow up a baby, so they may not be the best option. and there is one baby Meruke being auctioned for charity on a FB group.. I might look into that as well (the baby is stunning) but because it is CBB, I'm sure it will go for far more than I can spend. I'd like to stay around $200, but if I get a non-northern BTS, I don't think that will happen.

I did watch the LLL food video. It's a shame she isn't working with their BTS anymore or I'd consider ordering from them. I'm basically going to follow her recipe, but add in some quality dog food (mainly for the vitamins). I've got a food processor, so will probably grind up everything in that. I have heard of some people having success using lower quality dog food (with by-products) as part of their diet.. I'm considering attempting this to see how it goes. If I can find a brand that specifically uses, say, "beef byproducts" that would be better (mostly organs sinew, etc.) than a generic 'meat by products", but I'm still looking at options.

it's more of a question of availability for me than $$ at this point. There are not might good high-end brands available in my area and I don't want to have any shipped in. It may just be cheaper to use ground turkey and chicken gizzards / livers / hearts.

I was browsing online and saw that boamaster is offering a 4' x 2' x 12" pvc cage pretty darn cheap (I think it's under $200 including shipping), but I'd have to see if he will cut a mesh hole for heating in the top... If I were better at building things, I'd hazard doing it myself, but I'd hate to spend money and attempt to build a cage and have it not work out in the end.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (05-26-2015)

Thanks
    I found the thread on the BTS page where he posted the IJ babies... Looks like they are at least CB, if not CBB. Decent pics of them, but I'd be curious to see if any have gotten lighter after they shed. I'm leaning more towards a very contrasty skink (like a meruke), so if these will be darker like the mum, I may pass.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Ya it is a shame that she left...but from what I understand their program is still going and they should have some babies soon. If they are their CBB then it will say so on their site...and for what it's worth even though mine were imported they calmed down just the same...handling the parasites wasn't too bad...the boa master cage doesn't sound like a bad route....the reason I went with 2ft tall cages was because I wire my lights inside...it allows for a lower wattage bulb to be used...

Merukes are beautiful, but you will find that in all the indo species and the IJs colors will fluctuate...my male is very dark and my female almost has a Carmel color to her

SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    Nice looking skinks!
    Did you find that yours got darker or lighter over time (as they aged) or could you pretty much tell what they would like like from when they were little?

Here's the adds I'm looking at. I've contacted the seller for some additional info on these. After looking at more pics, I think the Merauke's appeal to me more than the IJs (more contrast maybe?).

I really like the patterning (on the side / throat) and overall light tones on number 3, but I love the pink / orange on the throat of #1, I'm just not sure if either will get darker as they age or gain more color. I've asked the seller about their temperaments and background.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Thank you! They definately can have more contrast...different patterns etc... I love all the blueys but the IJs have a special place in my heart...I just love the bright red bellies...I got both of mine full grown already, but I have been told for the most part the colors tend to stick...this may not be true for all of them though.

That one for sale is very nice! The blueys personality is so great I think you will be happy with either or...mine love to be up high so they will perch on my shoulder for literally hours.

And here is another pick just because I love showing em off

Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-26-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    Great pics again! The BTS looks so chill in the second pic (and HUGE! lol). I ended up going with #3. The seller said they were originally imports, but they have been with him for 5 months and are healthy. He also said that #3 is better looking in person and is a little more outgoing than the other one.

I feel very lucky to have gotten him for such a good price. The same seller had these 2 listed a month ago for $275 each, but he is going on a long trip and wants to downsize (hence the price drop). He will be shipped on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I will be using a CB70 tub setup for temporary housing, but plan on ordering the boamaster cage for his permanent setup.

Thanks again for your help / advice!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast