Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

2 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Exclamation -TANK FELL FROM 5 FT- ball python found amid glass, water, and bedding :(

Last night, as I was putting my BP, pockets, into his tank, I fainted. I've never fainted before, I'm not sure why it happened- that's another issue. Anyway, I came to on the floor, the first thing I noticed was the lightness of my palms, where was he? where.. am I? what is this cool wet..?

I find him under glass, at least that's what I think I remember. It seemed like he was under the tank- as if, as we fell, I pulled the tank down with me in my blacked-out state, and he subsequently fell out of my hand, and then the tank fell on top him. That doesn't quite seem right.. My last memory was of him, in my hand, already partway into the tank: it would make sense that as I pulled the tank down he was inside of it, so he fell in the tank onto the floor. But I can't be sure.

He is still at first, but starts to move as I hold him, shaking and sobbing. He traces the contour of my face with his, licking my tears. He seems okay. Then I notice the blood. It was so, so scary. My panicked state escalates as my roommates start to worry. I can hear my cat crying, scratching on the other side of my shut door. I look him over again, and again. The blood appears to be mine, except for a small scratch on the top of his head, right in the center. It is less than a couple centimeters long- maybe 2. It is white at first, but then fills with a small red that does not bleed over the edges of the scratch. This is his only apparent wound.

He's a little over a year and a half old, and I think average size for that age. I bought him a new tank and he was active last night, moving around and exploring it before settling into his hidebox. It would appear that things are okay.. Maybe it was just the traumatic nature of the experience, but I can't seem to let it go. I'm worried. His head, the tiny scratch, the ambiguity of the fall's impact-- did the glass of the tank shield his fall or intensify it?

Based off of my descriptions, what do you all think?
    The only apparent would is the tiny scratch on his head, which bled a little, but not much. He moves fine: no strange behavior, positions, or motionality. His feeding time would be in a couple of days.
    Should I have him x-rayed before feeding him? My father is a vet who does not specialize in reptiles, so he could x-ray him, but not really assess much else.
    Any immediate action(s) I should take? I will do whatever I need to. I would not be able to forgive myself if he did not survive.

Thanks
    First off, welcome. Second, I have to say that this is one of the most out there first posts I have seen since being a member of these fine forums.

If he seems to be ok, then I would say to not over do it by getting him x-rayed. Watch him closely for the next few days to see how he does.

Best of luck.

Greg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EasiGregory For This Useful Post:

theodd0ne (05-20-2015)

Thanks
    If he's moving okay and there aren't any serious injuries to his body I wouldn't worry too much. Next thing on the agenda is to get yourself checked out. Perhaps your blood sugar dropped too low?

Thanks
    He's probably fine if he's acting normal. If, when you hold him, he is moving without any abnormalities and not shying away from having any part of him touched it's a pretty safe bet nothing is broken. They are tough animals. Just keep an eye on him for a couple days.

However, if you don't know what caused your faint and there was no warning that would let you know it's about to happen (or if it's going to happen again) you may want to look into getting a rubbermaid tub as the enclosure and not a tank. The BPs don't seem to care either way, and the tubs are actually better than tanks for humidity. Main thing is they are more light-weight than glass and will not shatter if they fall. Either that or put his tank on a low shelf or the floor until you feel confident you won't black out like that again. (Don't want to seem like I'm putting the snake's health above yours, just giving you some suggestions that might put your mind at ease!)

I blacked out in my reptile room once because of the heat. Luckily I wasn't holding anybody at the time and just missed knocking over the space heater, but I'd have been just as worked up if one of the animals had been involved
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

theodd0ne (05-20-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: -TANK FELL FROM 5 FT- ball python found amid glass, water, and bedding :(

Sounds like you need an ambulance and he needs a vet visit. Take care of yourself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I hope he is alright.

Thanks

Re: -TANK FELL FROM 5 FT- ball python found amid glass, water, and bedding :(

thank you- this is good advice that I will keep in mind.

Thanks

Red face

Update:
    his behavior is still normal. he seems very okay. thank you all for your advice and concern!

Thanks
    Glad to hear he's fine. Hopefully you are as well!
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Dang, that's a scary situation. Glad to hear he's okay, and I hope the fainting is a weird one-off event!
    0.2 Caramel Albino, 0.1 Caravanah, 0.1 Mojave Bumblebee, 0.1 Butter Pinstripe, 0.0.1 Normal, 1.0 Fire, 1.0 Spider, 1.0 Pastel Calico

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Iris
    1.1 Boa Constrictor Constrictor - Scarlet & Handsome Jack
    1.0 Woma Python - Nigel
    0.1 Corn Snake - Maisie
    1.1 Red Eared Sliders - Esteban & Dolores