Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,263

1 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Visit to UGA's new Small Animal Teaching Hospital

I wish this was just a story about how I went to check out the facility, but alas it was an actual necessary visit for an injured animal. The other day I went to look at my 0.1 Hypo Enchi because she is getting close to ovulating. I basically check on her just about every other day but the last time noticed her face was swollen. I thought that perhaps she had just banged it hard the last time she ate as I heard a pretty good smack against the tub. Here are a couple pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see in the second pic that basically the whole right side of her face is enlarged as the eye looks a little small.

Long story short I took her to UGA as they are one of the few places here in Georgia equipped and well experienced in exotics. They have just opened their new Small Animal Teaching Hospital and the facilities are amazing. The Doctor said he believed she was bitten by the last rat she was fed and it had infected, which was confirmed by a deep puncture in her upper jaw inside the lip line. There where two of her teeth that were sideways to the normal orientation and when he went to grab them with the forceps, they came out together along with a small piece of the jawbone that was still attached. Anyways they had to anesthetize her and do some minor procedure to clean the infected area so she would be staying over night. The Doctor invited me in to see where my girl was going to be staying. They really have it set up right. Here is a pic of the facility with my girl in the lit window. If you look closely you will see they have spaces up top for arboreal snakes complete with perching branches that are molded PVC so they can be completely sanitized. The spaces in the middle are for terrestrial animals complete with RHPs. Everything is on thermostats of course. And the lower enclosures are specifically for venomous animals. Anyways just wanted to share as I thought it was pretty state of the art looking.

[IMG][/IMG]

If the Mods think this is better suited for another thread, please feel free to move it. Just wasn't sure where to share this.

Oh, and I guess this could be a cautionary tale about some of the possible issues with feeding live. But not trying to start a war as truly the odds are probably greater of hitting the lottery than this happening again.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 05-14-2015 at 05:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-14-2015)

Thanks
    Poor girl Glad you got her check out and she is gonna get better
    ~* Karena (KUH-reen-uh)
    -------------------------------
    Normal Ball (Jake)
    Normal Ball (Bella)
    Normal Ball (Rosco)
    Full Blooded German Shepard (Sarge)
    --------------------------------
    My Little Humans:
    Rylee (6)
    Kaitlyn (5)
    Ziva (2)
    --------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MPwife10 For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (05-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Visit to UGA's new Small Animal Teaching Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by MPwife10 View Post
    Poor girl Glad you got her check out and she is gonna get better
    Thanks. She still needs about 30 days of antibiotic injections along with an oral anti-inflammatory/pain reliever. It'll be a bit before she is back to her ole self but at least she's on the mend.