Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,390

3 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Raw food for a puppy questions

My puppy is 16 weeks old this Saturday, and I have decided to switch him to raw food now before he gets too used to dry food. I have a couple of questions regarding this.

My understanding is to start with one food source for a couple of weeks. The easiest one to start with is chicken with bone, ie backs, legs, thighs, etc. I had thought some sort of organ meats or something are needed, but it sounds like I can leave those out for the first week or two. Does that sound correct?

I also read that he needs 2% to 3% of his bodyweight a day in food. Puppies grow quickly and have different requirements from adults. I am not sure if 2% to 3% is for adults only and puppies need a higher percentage. If that number should be higher, what should it be?

Thanks.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Re: Raw food for a puppy questions

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    My puppy is 16 weeks old this Saturday, and I have decided to switch him to raw food now before he gets too used to dry food. I have a couple of questions regarding this.

My understanding is to start with one food source for a couple of weeks. The easiest one to start with is chicken with bone, ie backs, legs, thighs, etc. I had thought some sort of organ meats or something are needed, but it sounds like I can leave those out for the first week or two. Does that sound correct?

I also read that he needs 2% to 3% of his bodyweight a day in food. Puppies grow quickly and have different requirements from adults. I am not sure if 2% to 3% is for adults only and puppies need a higher percentage. If that number should be higher, what should it be?

Thanks.
    I would honestly go with the raw food that's made by Fresh Pet or Nature's Variety. Both are excellent raw foods with no complaints. Great quality foods.

1.2 Normal
    1.1 Red-tail
    0.1 Albino corn
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SCWood For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-14-2015)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

I haven't raised a pup on raw but think most people feed based on projected adult weight. Most don't measure too carefully and just judge by watching your dog, skinny, feed more, fat, feed less. Puppies tend to adjust easier so you may be able to move into different proteins and adding organ meat quicker but don't feel like you need to rush, better to be safe and avoid tummy upsets. Add in new stuff slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post

Thanks.
    There are a couple of people on here that feed a raw diet to their dogs. Kara is one of the people on here that does and I think Satomi25 does also. They both pretty much know their stuff when it comes to this so you may want to oPM one or both of them. Do not buy the raw diets you see in pet stores, they are way overpriced. You will want to get most of your meats from a butcher or from another reliable source.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-14-2015)

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

I will fully chime in when I get home. I have 2 Corgis that are on a home prepared prey model raw diet.

~Marissa~

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts
    Okay, on my home computer! My dogs have been on raw since mid January, so only about 4 months now.

As far as how much to feed, about 2-3% of projected adult weight is a good starting point, then adjust as needed from there
    Most people start out just on bone in chicken or turkey. I found chicken quarters were priced right and easily accessible. For the first few days I did remove the chicken skin though, adding that in too quickly can cause loose stools. I never encountered the frequently spoken of cannon butt when switching to raw, but my dogs were on Orijen and had raw meat added to their dinner a few times a week as it was.

There is really just SO MUCH information on raw feeding. Hard to condense it to a normal sized post, but I love that you are wanting to raise your dog on raw. I just recommend doing a bunch of research before starting, just like you would with anything else. There is a facebook group called The Raw Feeding Community that has a TON of really helpful resources, and the people are welcoming to new comers. Join the group, read through the beginner documents, educate yourself, find sources for your food (local or online sources), and go ahead and stock your freezer before starting.

Nikki has prey model raw fed ferrets and her dobermans, and has so much knowledge about this topic, so I would stick around and wait and see what she has to say.
    ~Marissa~

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-15-2015),ballpythonluvr (05-15-2015)

Thanks

I too am a raw feeder. My youngest shepherd , 1 year old this week, was from raw fed parents and weaned to raw. My dogs are extremely healthy and I won't go back to kibble. I was feeding orjen before switching to raw 3 years ago. Personally I feel it is the best. I prepare my own meats and stay away from store bought raw. Like it was said above there is quite a bit of info about raw feelings and about as many different opinions on what is best. I don't think you could go wrong switching to a complete raw diet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerrieL For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-15-2015),ballpythonluvr (05-15-2015)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa@MKmorphs View Post
    There is really just SO MUCH information on raw feeding.
    Yep. I've read a ton over the last week, and I could continue reading all the way through the weekend if I wanted to from the looks of it. It's reached the point of information overload. That's partially why I decided to ask a few questions. This way I can get answers from people who I know are actually doing it now.

Yesterday and today he got a chicken drumstick to start with. Both were a little over a pound, which is too small for a day's food for him, but I heard it was okay for the first day or two to be a little on the small side. He absolutely loved them, though.

Tonight I go to the store after work and stock up on food for him.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Yeah it's usually wise to go a little on the light side at first, sounds like you are off to a good start. Time to go buy a bigger freezer now! We've got three running and there's still never enough space for meat but I'm feeding 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 ferret plus food for the snakes and 1/2 side of beef we buy for us.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

200xth (05-15-2015)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Time to go buy a bigger freezer now!
    I think I may have to. I was thinking of getting another freezer because of how much room the snake food was taking up...this is just going to be worse. I think food for me is 1/4 of my freezer now.
    Last edited by 200xth; 05-16-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast