Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

3 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Thanks

Suggestions?

My BP will be off of feed for 3 weeks this upcoming Sunday. No loss in weight but he just isn't hitting anymore. When the rat is in there he isn't even interested anymore. I heard sometimes that going down to adult mouse will get them going. He's on small rats now

Thanks
    Welcome to the world of ball python feeding abnormalities. If you look back on previous threads, I would guess that at least 50% have something to do with a bp being off feed. Its absolutely a normal, everyday, common place ordeal for a bp to stop eating. Three weeks isn't considered a long time to be off feed. You can try offering the same food item at normal intervals, but try to refrain from stressing the bp out by offering food too often, it will only prolong the issue. If the snake still wont take a rat after 8-10 weeks you can start trying other options. Your animal wont starve in that timeframe, nor will it have any physiological issues. Just make sure that all husbandry specs are on target.

If necessary when the time comes, you can try mice, African soft fur rats, gerbils etc to stimulate a feeding response. Just be aware that the snake might start to prefer these rodents over rats.

Thanks
    Welcome to the world of ball python feeding abnormalities. If you look back on previous threads, I would guess that at least 50% have something to do with a bp being off feed. Its absolutely a normal, everyday, common place ordeal for a bp to stop eating. Three weeks isn't considered a long time to be off feed. You can try offering the same food item at normal intervals, but try to refrain from stressing the bp out by offering food too often, it will only prolong the issue. If the snake still wont take a rat after 8-10 weeks you can start trying other options. Your animal wont starve in that timeframe, nor will it have any physiological issues. Just make sure that all husbandry specs are on target.

If necessary when the time comes, you can try mice, African soft fur rats, gerbils etc to stimulate a feeding response. Just be aware that the snake might start to prefer these rodents over rats.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions?

No one should be complacent about their BP not eating because it's what they do. It is caused by something that may or may not be in your ability to control. That being said, you should check your snake and your husbandry to make sure it's not something that can be easily corrected. Don't assume everything is ok because you haven't changed anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-13-2015)

Thanks
    Yeah ball pythons are known to be problematic. Do you feed in his tank? Or in a feeding tub? I fed my ball python in a feeding tub for probably a year and a half or two years and then he decided he wouldn't eat in it again so now I feed him in his tank. Also he decided that it needs to be dark before he'll act. It could be nothing but the usual ball python weirdness but double check your husbandry just the same.

Thanks
    I wouldn't change the prey unless his size or weight demanded it. In some cases trying to switch prey items can just cause more problems. What's your husbandry and feeding situation like? How long have you had him for? Are you feeding live or frozen?

Thanks
    It seems almost every day we have people with ball python feeding problems. The internet has literally thousands of posts, sites and blogs dedicated to it. Every single time we go over husbandry, and majority of the time everything is on par. These snakes are fickle and unusual in their feeding habits. I would dare say that 99.9% of every bp owner will at some point have a snake that goes on a feeding strike. I was merely trying to help the OP understand the situation.

The fact is that no one really understands why bps go on hunger strikes even when their cage conditions are perfect. It could be an evolutionary remnant meant for population control, some response to changing barometric pressures etc. Obviously complacency is wrong in this situation, but given the history of the species, intense worry isn't necessary. We all do our due diligence to provide the best conditions for the animal, and that's the best we can do. If that involves changing food sources then so be it. Notice I didn't advise that until 10 weeks post feeding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

BenzieBox (05-14-2015)

Thanks
    uhh its spring... welcome to males and breeding season

Thanks

Got him March 17th and he wouldn't eat for two weeks because I was trying to feed him outside his cage. Started feeding him in his cage and he ate like a champ up until now. Husbandry and everything else is correct and nothing has changed. He is about 505 grams. Oh and I feed live, I know everyone hates this and it's a huge debate but it's all he has ever eaten and he won't eat f/t.
    Last edited by Champagn3; 05-14-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

I really appreciate your feedback

- - - Updated - - -

Is a 505g make breeding size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast