Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

1 members and 3,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Gaining weight fast?

So, I post on here about Eden and Cleo a lot. Both are about a year and a half old now and both eat small rats weekly with little to no issues(they're clutch sisters). 2 weeks ago, Cleo was 508g and Eden was 548g...as of yesterday, Cleo is 604g and Eden is 642g...that's a big difference! Now, I think the fact that they haven't defecated may play a role in this. Jen says they're getting way too big way too fast but they get so antsy on feeding day it's hard to slow down. Is this growth rate too fast for them? I had them every 10 days for a month or two but they always get antsy after day 7 passes and no food shows. Suggestions?
    Cleo:

Eden:

1.2 Normal
    1.1 Red-tail
    0.1 Albino corn
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    Maintaining a consistent healthy feeding schedule with appropriate sized feeders is all that matters.

If you feel they are gaining to fast you may want to cut them back to Bi-weekly feedings instead of weekly.

They look beautiful and healthy. Your doing just fine

Greg
    Last edited by EasiGregory; 05-12-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    600g for a 1 1/2 year old is not bad at all. That is a good weight gain. Many people have a goal to get their girls to 1500 or more grams by the time they are three. Many reach 100g by the time they are two. (I am going off the average based on my snake collection. It may be totally different for others). My one year old (turned 1 year old May 4) is currently 815g which is a bit much but nothing to be too concerned about. They grow pretty quickly in the first 3 years of their life and they still have a noticeable growth up until they are 5.

Thanks

Re: Gaining weight fast?

Quote Originally Posted by EasiGregory View Post
    Maintaining a consistent healthy feeding schedule with appropriate sized feeders is all that matters.

If you feel they are gaining to fast you may want to cut them back to Bi-weekly feedings instead of weekly.

They look beautiful and healthy. Your doing just fine

Greg
    Thanks they used to eat biweekly but they were underfed so we moved to weekly and they seem to enjoy it
    Quote Originally Posted by BCS View Post
    600g for a 1 1/2 year old is not bad at all. That is a good weight gain. Many people have a goal to get their girls to 1500 or more grams by the time they are three. Many reach 100g by the time they are two. (I am going off the average based on my snake collection. It may be totally different for others). My one year old (turned 1 year old May 4) is currently 815g which is a bit much but nothing to be too concerned about. They grow pretty quickly in the first 3 years of their life and they still have a noticeable growth up until they are 5.
    Exactly. I tell her if you can't see between the scales then you're fine. The snakes are strong and active. I've seen an obese BP before lol

1.2 Normal
    1.1 Red-tail
    0.1 Albino corn
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Seems fine to me. Dottie my little pied girl went from about 100g when I got her to 1000g in about 4 months or so. She also went from 12" to about 3'. She is a pig though and loves to eat. I've never seen an obese BP. They seem to self regulate their weight by going on fasts for months on end. Now boas, they get overweight at the drop of a hat if you let them.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I have two boys about the same age and their both a little over 800gms. And I'm just feeding one jumbo mouse every 7 to 9 days. Mine are just pets with no intention of breeding. What I'm trying to say is, I'm in no hurry get them to breeding size. I just like to feed enough to keep healthy animals, not overfeeding. For what it's worth I hope this helps.

Thanks
    I'm glad to be reading this thread. I've been a bit questioning about my ball's weight. He grows like a weed. He is 1 now and about 800 grams, he's been gaining like crazy. He gets a small rat each week, but it's to the point that I am considering moving up to mediums pretty soon becuase the small rats don't even seem to make a lump in his belly any more! He chows his rat down and cruises around, looking for more. Before he'd eat and then go curl up and hide for a few days to digest. I was wondering if he was growing too fast or if I was feeding too much, so I'm glad to see that isn't the case.

Thanks
    Thanks, this thread has really helped. I have a BP that is 472g after 19 months and was a little bit worried about it although it seems healthy. I will be upping it's food from 2 small weaners/week to 1 large weaners/week (45g-70g) next week, assuming it finishes the last 2 small ones on friday. I was going to also going to feed it slightly more often but after reading this, I think I will stick to once a week...

Thanks
    That is a beautiful normal bp in that second pic

Thanks

Re: Gaining weight fast?

Quote Originally Posted by readymade View Post
    That is a beautiful normal bp in that second pic
    Thanks that one's mine

1.2 Normal
    1.1 Red-tail
    0.1 Albino corn
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)