Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

2 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Housing

Thanks

Housing

Hey guys. For quite some time, I have housed my bp in a plastic tub, which was fine as it was easy to clean. However recently I have realised that my first pet does not deserve to live in such conditions, and so I have decided to buy her vivexotic repti-home large. The question I have is whether the size is fine or if it would stress the snake out, as that is the last thing I would want??

The cages dimensions are (W1150 x D375 x H421mm), which is 45" x 14" x 16"

Thanks

Re: Housing

Quote Originally Posted by Casoman82 View Post
    Hey guys. For quite some time, I have housed my bp in a plastic tub, which was fine as it was easy to clean. However recently I have realised that my first pet does not deserve to live in such conditions, and so I have decided to buy her vivexotic repti-home large. The question I have is whether the size is fine or if it would stress the snake out, as that is the last thing I would want??

I'm just going to throw out there right now that you're going to get some flak for how you said that. "My pet does not deserve to live in such conditions" - While I too think that my snake is happier in a larger tank and I much prefer them as I like to see him, many here are large breeders and keep dozens of snakes in tubs with no problems. I don't care for it myself but you are insinuating that they are bad people for doing so. We all have our preferences and passive aggressive jabs at one another about how we care for our animals is going to start a sh!tstorm.

to answer your question, that size is fine. If you have a young snake, throw in some extra hides and foliage for him to hide under if you think it's too open, but he should grow into it no problem.
    Last edited by Spoons; 05-09-2015 at 08:50 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Outgrowing a hide

I say to get the biggest that you can afford, because your BP is gonna grow! Ginger was out of her 20 gallon aquarium by 6 months, and her permanent home is a 55 gallon aquarium, 48x13. Clutter it up to make your snake more secure and then take things away as she grows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Housing

Quote Originally Posted by Casoman82 View Post

I moved your post and it's replies from the other thread. It seemed more like it should be it's own thread.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks
    I find that it's clutter and hides moreso than size of the enclosure that determines how stressed a snake is.

lol, Guess my girl doesn't deserve to languish in her tub with all her plants and nice burrow-able bedding and hides. Better put her in a tank so I have a harder time keeping her humidity right.
    If you didn't mean to imply that keeping BPs in tubs versus cages was cruel, you really ought to rephrase what you said. My snake has fift-five gallons of space to roam in and regularly uses about five of them. My guess is you're going to see the same thing once yours settles down.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Here comes the breeder's response....Don't feel bad about keeping your bp in a tub. As stated earlier, snakes do better when in an enclosure that provides a sense of security. Usually the healthiest/happeist bps I see are the ones in an appropriately sized tub. To me a 55 gallon tank is too big. Would rather go with a 40 gallon breeder, with the increased floor space rather than vertical room. However, pbyeerts setup looks pretty sweet! Displaying snakes is one of the best parts of having them, just make sure that their heat/humidity/hides are in order and youre set.