Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is there really such a thing as a chacoan giant?

For those who have adult chacoan giants, is there really a significant difference in size compared to "regular" black and whites? I understand they are the same species, but just from a certain locality. How different can they be?

Then again blues are sometimes said to be selectively bred b&ws and they do have a different temperament.

Thanks

Re: Is there really such a thing as a chacoan giant?

I don't own a giant, however I was told it is more of a marketing term...don't know if there is any truth to that or not
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I have seen chacoan giants that are definitely bigger than average sized black and white argentines. However, some "normal" argentines can achieve chacoan giant size status. Just depends on the genetics and breeding of the tegu in questions.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I guess what I mean is, is it a real thing or not. All tegu species have some bigger and some smaller. I remember it all started when bobby hill said they were a different thing etc. and since then he has lost credibility a couple years ago. However, a lot of stuff he said about husbandry with no scientific backing whatsoever are continually being parroted on forums. When questioned on tegu forums, people don't reply, probably trying to avoid controversy.

However, other breeders are now saying this chacoan giant thing too. I am just wondering if it is actually a real thing or just something he made up to make a quick buck. I have recently seen some tegus for sale and it does seem the ones labelled chacoan giants have slightly more whites on their heads. If it is a real thing I'm thinking of acquiring one.

Thanks
    Its really hard to say, because as you have said asking gets little to no response on the forums. If the Tegus you have seen for sale are babies then their coloring goes through stages and changes as they grow. I have seen hugh "normal B&W" Tegus and small ones. I agree it could be some form of line breeding or a pitch to make a buck, but those are just my personal thoughts as I have never seen a "Chacoan Giant" in person.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    In my opinion YES there are such animals as Chacoan giants. They obviously aren't a different species, but can be considered more of a genetically distinct population with enhanced size. Think BCC vs BCI with Colombian boas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Think BCI vs BCI. Chacoans(drop the giant because larger size isn't consistent) are more or less a sales ploy these days. I do believe they started out as a specific locality import with recognizable, consistent differences in comparison to the typical farmed merianae imports. Considering the length of time they've been in the states now coupled with the careless, haphazard pairing choices folk tend to make with tegus - the chacoan title doesn't really carry much weight with me anymore.

Thanks

Re: Is there really such a thing as a chacoan giant?

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Think BCI vs BCI. Chacoans(drop the giant because larger size isn't consistent) are more or less a sales ploy these days. I do believe they started out as a specific locality import with recognizable, consistent differences in comparison to the typical farmed merianae imports. Considering the length of time they've been in the states now coupled with the careless, haphazard pairing choices folk tend to make with tegus - the chacoan title doesn't really carry much weight with me anymore.

In many instances yes this is true. But there are some respected breeders who maintain the integrity of this giant line. I have personally been to breeding farms in FL and held chacoans. Even as hatchlings they are larger bodied and pretty impressive. IMO once they get older there really isn't that much of a difference though. A normal argentine is still massive to me.