Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Conflicting info... help straightening it out??

I have decided that Cresties are the next venture for me! I've done a lot of reading so far but I have found so much conflicting info and my head is spinning!

I want to breed. I know that already. Not to make money off it or anything. It would just be for me. But I've already decided on it, so I want to go into this with that in mind.

What I need help with: I've read a few sites that say to keep each gecko separate and just introduce the male for breeding when they're both of appropriate size/weight. Then I've read some that say you can get a bigger enclosure and just put the male/female pair or male/female/female trio in to live together...

Which is it??

And on that note, if I go the bin route, what am I looking at in terms of liter size for each option? For a single gecko am I looking at like 30-40L (10 g) or more? And for a pair or trio?

Thanks for your help guys. I've really gotten myself confused over this!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You can keep pairs or trio together however I never recommend to keep young animals together.

2 females together are fine when adults but if placed together when young on may/will bully the other (especially when it comes to food) creating a smaller growth in one of your animal and increased bullying due to the smaller size.

Male and female together are fine as well however same as above bullying is an issue additionally you do not want to house a male with a female until the female is large enough for breeding, if too small egg binding will be an issue. you also want to give your female a break. When male and females are aired the female will lay eggs every months for up to 12 months or more even after the male has been removed.
    As for starting a young individual I always recommend a critter keeper, too large of an enclosure for a young gecko will cause issue the main one, the gecko will not be able to find it's food.

For a single adult I recommend a cage that is 18" x 18" x 18" or better 18" x 18" x 24"

For a trio 36” x 18” x 18” or 36” x 18” x 24” will make a great enclosure
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

HVani (05-08-2015)