Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,540

0 members and 2,540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: Which should I get?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bearded dragon

4 36.36%
  • Leopard gecko

5 45.45%
  • Pictus gecko

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Help me decide what lizard/gecko to get!!

First, I wasn't sure which one to put this under because I wanted to ask about both... Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

Anyway!

I've decided I want to get a lizard or gecko in addition to my two bp's. I have a tiny bit of experience with bearded dragons but that is it.

I'm stuck between a bearded dragon, a leopard gecko and a pictus gecko!!

I'm looking for one that's friendly (I know beardies are for sure...) and I'd like to maybe breed in the distant future. I was leaning toward the gecko's for that but I'm so unsure!!

Any help deciding is appreciated!! I'd love to hear about experiences with each.

Thanks

Re: Help me decide what lizard/gecko to get!!

My experience with crested geckos is short but we have on in the house and it's such a fun little animal to have around. From watching them hunt to looking at how they "chill out" is great. I'll post a couple pics

Thanks
    You know, I'm really not into how they look. I'm not sure what it is about them... However!! They are starting to really grow on me!! Those pics are just so darn cute!

I haven't done any reading on Cresties. What is their care like?

Thanks

Room temp. 60-80 humidity and they are arboreal. It's bad for them to be above 80 degrees. They are a little skittish at first but I've heard that they are real tame once they get to know you. They jump so thee is a certain way you have to handle.them at first but they are tons of fun. The first time I ever held one it jumped from my hand to my shoulder then on to my ear.

Thanks
    Gah, that sounds so cute! And the room temp thing sounds so refreshing compared to my bp's haha. Thank you! I will definitely look into them now!

Thanks

Not a problem. I love the little guys. The one thing tho is that you have to put out some crested gecko diet every 3-4 days but it lasts for about that long too. We do that and add crickets to her diet. Just to get some variety

Thanks
    I went through a similar dilemma not long ago. I ended up going leopard gecko and I'm so glad I did.

I had a crestie for a while but he was too jumpy and I was constantly worried about him dropping his tail (they don't grow back).

I chose not to get a bearded dragon just because one would require a bigger set up, more food and more expensive equipment.

So I went leo. I have no regrets. Sprocket is so easy going plus her set up is a breeze. She's in a 24x24x12 with her friend Doozer who is the devil lol. I'm working on taming her down. But she is the exception rather than the rule.

Sprocket is so simple and she's adorable. The set up doesn't require lighting just a heating pad or radiant heat panel. They both eat dubias and meal worms.

Plus leos come in way more color varieties than bearded dragons or crested geckos.

Here some pictures of Sprocket

Thanks
    Bearded dragons are awesome but stink. They poop several times a day and it is toxic stuff.They need uvb , big cages and lots of food.
    But they are more active and personable then leos.
    I prefer leopard geckos because they are so super easy to care for, mellow and just plain cute.Some of them will be a bit jumpy as babies but its really cute, they will squeak at you.
    I used to have a dozen of them and bred them on a small scale. Leos rule, Im thinking Im going to have to get me one again.

Cresties look like a great option too. Never had one but they sure are cute.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 05-07-2015 at 09:33 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miranda2 For This Useful Post:

HVani (05-07-2015)

Thanks

Ah, they're so cute!!! I'm definitely leaning toward the Leo's. Their faces and their big eyes... They're just so darn cute!!

I do like beardies but the only experience I've had is with my ex's and he always hissed and puffed up at me every time I went near him >.>
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks

Yeah I'm definitely leaning toward the Leo's. I like the Cresties but the jumping worries me with my cats. If it ever jumped out of my hand, they'd be on it in a heartbeat.

How was the breeding? That's something I'd like to do in the future. I've done some research about the weight requirements and keeping the male separate but I'd have to do way more. Did you enjoy the breeding aspect?

I think I have made up my mind. I love the different morphs of the Leo's I've seen.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hazzaram For This Useful Post:

HVani (05-07-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast