Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

4 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Outgrowing a hide

My little guy is quickly outgrowing this hide as he just barely fits into it, but he much prefers it over his larger one as I believe he just feels more secure in the cramped one. Would you recommend just leaving it until the point he just won't fit in it anymore? Next reptile show in a couple weeks I'll pick him up a slightly larger one and just keep it on stand-by. It is pretty amusing watching him cram himself in there.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I would leave it. I leave mine in there to the point the BP's end up using them as big hats.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

couscous74 (05-06-2015)

Thanks

Re: Outgrowing a hide

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    I would leave it. I leave mine in there to the point the BP's end up using them as big hats.
    LMAO.....yea that will be my plan, no use replacing it as long as he likes it.

Thanks
    I just replaced my two hides with larger ones. He got to the point that it would be more him curling up and his hide resting on top of him than him fitting inside! The new hides are actually way larger than they probably should be, with lots of extra room, but I couldn't find a middle ground so I am hoping he grows into them. I know they prefer cramped hides, I would have grabbed smaller ones if I could have found some, but good BP hides aren't so common!

As an aside I also bought him a whole new Exo Terra tank - the 36 X 18 X 18 one - because the new hides didn't fit in his old 20 gallon tank!

I just figure now I won't ever have to upgrade anything again.

Thanks
    Haha, when I replaced mine's hide with a larger one she spent about a week laying beside it before she finally went in. They seem to get pretty attached to their old hides.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I just replaced my two hides with larger ones. He got to the point that it would be more him curling up and his hide resting on top of him than him fitting inside! The new hides are actually way larger than they probably should be, with lots of extra room, but I couldn't find a middle ground so I am hoping he grows into them. I know they prefer cramped hides, I would have grabbed smaller ones if I could have found some, but good BP hides aren't so common!

As an aside I also bought him a whole new Exo Terra tank - the 36 X 18 X 18 one - because the new hides didn't fit in his old 20 gallon tank!

I just figure now I won't ever have to upgrade anything again.
    Mines not too that point yet but pretty close. He used to really like his stump hide which has a lot more room in it until he discovered this one. There's a vendor at the Kalamazoo reptile show usually has a whole table of hides reseanably priced so I'll just grab a slightly bigger one next time and have it ready.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty33 View Post
    Mines not too that point yet but pretty close. He used to really like his stump hide which has a lot more room in it until he discovered this one. There's a vendor at the Kalamazoo reptile show usually has a whole table of hides reseanably priced so I'll just grab a slightly bigger one next time and have it ready.
    You know I didn't think that day would come so fast. He is growing like an absolute weed. I just moved him to small rats a couple months ago and he's already almost ready to move up to mediums. Time to put in an online order because those are $$$$ here! I should maybe head to the reptile show here in June and grab a few smaller ones for now until he grows into the larger ones. They're probably twice the size they need to be. Argus doesn't seem to mind but still, I'm sure he'd appreciate some smaller ones!

Thanks

That's so cute!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    I do the same. I just replaced the hide for my 1300g albino male because it just sat on top of him when he was in it. And he kept dragging it out of position (heat-pad range).
    1.0 Normal 1100g
    1.0 Normal 400g
    1.0 Orange Ghost 450g
    1.0 Albino 1400g

Normals are beautiful too .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's an oldie-but-a-goodie....a thread I made years ago that demonstrates just how crazy ball pythons can be about their small, tight hides...

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-)-(DU-Warning)

-- Judy