Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,199

0 members and 3,199 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Crazy active BP / Seasonal changes?

Hey all.

Everyday I have the room heater on (for small amounts of time. no worries) just to keep his ambient temps balanced (between 78º-84º). Naturally during the night, the weather inside my home tends to drop and my BP Abdul will either go to his basking area when he's cold or will stay on his cool side. Now that the weather here in Wisconsin is getting very warm, I no longer have to worry about my room getting cooler at night, and I've finally put the heater away! (Thank God!)

Recently, the past two nights his ambient temps have remained in the lower 80s (specifically 80-82º) and have not dropped into the 70s whatsoever, and the same past two nights he's been extremely active at night and when I'm working in my room with the lights on. He's been roaming around looking at the top of the cage and hanging out on top of his hide. Right now, he's got his whole body stretched just chilling out. But I can't be too sure: I was just wondering, is this normal for him to be this active at night, even with the lights on? Is his activeness a sign that he's aware of the seasonal changes?

This is kind of a silly question, but I kind of want to know! Thanks regardless. Tomorrow's feeding day!
    Abdul (Normal Ball Python)
    May 21, 2014

Thanks

Re: Crazy active BP / Seasonal changes?

I am really interested in this topic too. My little one has also been unusually active the past couple of weeks since the weather warmed up. In my case, he hasn't been willing to eat since he became so determined to explore and try to get out. Despite temps and everything being just where they should be he has no interest in anything but climbing the walls, literally. It is great that he is so interactive but frustrating when he is too preoccupied with coming out to pay attention to the nice warm rat I have just thawed him lol. I too have been wondering if it is something to do with a seasonal change. He is always brave and friendly, but this is out of character even for him. It has just been a dramatic and sudden behavioral change and I can't seem to find any cause relating to husbandry.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.