Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

3 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

First time ball python owner

Hello, I recently bought a ball python and before I got him and even up until now I've been doing research about handling and care for them. I've talked to the pet store people about how they care for their personal snakes (not their store snakes) and reading a bunch of articles online. Well now I'm wanting to ask for any tips on here. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    One of the best tips you'll ever get, make sure your husbandry is correct. Lmao.

On another note, congratulations on your purchase!
    Last edited by Atrox; 05-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    1.0 Normal - Poseidon.

Thanks

Re: First time ball python owner

Fairly new owner myself, going on about 3 months now. Number 1 tip/advice is never use a UTH without a thermostat. My zoo med UTH unregulated ran 158F at the glass and would burn a snake if not properly regulated by a thermostat.
    Next bit of advice is to not get to freaked out about every little thing. These guys seem keep you guessing at times. Don't freak out if your snake refuses a meal, they just seem to do that sometimes to mess with your head 😊
    This is a great place for advice and knowledge, but also remember these guys seem to have their own little personalities, go SLOW with your handling to lesson stress, 3 months in my snake has just now really gotten somewhat comfortable with handling.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Congrats! First and foremost, the ball python care sheet under the "Caresheets" forum contains some great info. Actually all of the care sheets in that forum are excellent.

Second, other than the advice already given, I will pass along what I was told when I purchased my first ball python: get a rack, you will end up with more of them!
    Last edited by bcr229; 05-03-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atrox View Post
    One of the best tips you'll ever get, make sure your husbandry is correct. Lmao.

On another note, congratulations on your purchase!
    Thanks and what do you mean by husbandry?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty33 View Post
    Fairly new owner myself, going on about 3 months now. Number 1 tip/advice is never use a UTH without a thermostat. My zoo med UTH unregulated ran 158F at the glass and would burn a snake if not properly regulated by a thermostat.
    Next bit of advice is to not get to freaked out about every little thing. These guys seem keep you guessing at times. Don't freak out if your snake refuses a meal, they just seem to do that sometimes to mess with your head 😊
    This is a great place for advice and knowledge, but also remember these guys seem to have their own little personalities, go SLOW with your handling to lesson stress, 3 months in my snake has just now really gotten somewhat comfortable with handling.
    I've already figured about the food thing and UTH as in heating pad correct? I've already been handling my snake just a little bit at a time, sometimes when he comes out from his little hiding place and sits on the cool side of the tank I will pick him up for about 3-10 minutes before putting him back. I let him crawl around me freely and I don't confine him from exploring, he seems to do pretty good with handling already and he ate Friday without any hesitation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Congrats! First and foremost, the ball python care sheet under the "Caresheets" forum contains some great info. Actually all of the care sheets in that forum are excellent.

Second, other than the advice already given, I will pass along what I was told when I purchased my first ball python: get a rack, you will end up with more of them!
    Wish I could get more, he'll probably be the only one I'm going to have for the next 5~ years unless I can get a good paying job!

Thanks

That's the little guy, he's approx 18" and I'm not sure on weight though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingdragon View Post
    Thanks and what do you mean by husbandry?
    Husbandry = maintaining correct temperatures and humidity inside of your BP's enclosure. If they're too low, at best he'll end up going off of food and having crappy sheds, at worst he'll end up with a respiratory infection.

So, you have a tank with a light. Do you have a cover on the tank? Because if not it's a given your humidity will be way too low. A UTH on a thermostat to create a hot spot about 90*F on the floor of the tank is a better option. Put one hide over the UTH, and another in a cool part of the tank, so he can thermoregulate.

Also, light tends to stress out ball pythons, in the wild they spend the day underground in termite mounds, and they hunt at night. If you need the light to maintain ambient temperature in the tank, replace the bulb with either a red one or a ceramic heat emitter (but you'll still have the low humidity issue).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Husbandry = maintaining correct temperatures and humidity inside of your BP's enclosure. If they're too low, at best he'll end up going off of food and having crappy sheds, at worst he'll end up with a respiratory infection.

So, you have a tank with a light. Do you have a cover on the tank? Because if not it's a given your humidity will be way too low. A UTH on a thermostat to create a hot spot about 90*F on the floor of the tank is a better option. Put one hide over the UTH, and another in a cool part of the tank, so he can thermoregulate.

Also, light tends to stress out ball pythons, in the wild they spend the day underground in termite mounds, and they hunt at night. If you need the light to maintain ambient temperature in the tank, replace the bulb with either a red one or a ceramic heat emitter (but you'll still have the low humidity issue).
    I have both a UTH and heating lamp, I turn the lamp on and off during the day depending on the internal temp of the tank and I give him enough water (about 1-1 1/2 inches) to maintain humidity, if the air in the tank begins to feel dry, I lightly mist the tank down as to not over-dampen the substrate too much. I don't have a second hiding spot yet but he curls up under the branch when he goes to cool down and as for the cover it's a screen top and I put a thick towel on the cool side as to retain heat and moisture (?) in the tank.
    Last edited by Walkingdragon; 05-03-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

I used aluminum tape to cover my screen top all but where my light sits. Red light keeps my ambient temps about 80-82. You will need a hydrometer to keep track of humidity as a tank set up will dry out fast. I mist mine about every day to keep it around 60% and twice a day at least during shed.
    You may also consider getting a background or black paper to cover the back and sides of your tank to help your snake feel more secure. He looks really good and healthy!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingdragon View Post
    I have both a UTH and heating lamp, I turn the lamp on and off during the day depending on the internal temp of the tank...
    You need a thermostat to do that for you. Hopefully you have one on the UTH at least.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast