Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,479

2 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How long should I keep feeding my ball python live before switching back to f/t?

Hey guys, so I got this ball python from a breeder and he was on f/t. I got him the day he ate so when I tried to give him f/t for the next month he wouldn't take it at all. He didn't seem any interest in it. So now I have him on live for about month and I noticed that he loves to toy around with his prey it looks like. So should I try to switch him back to f/t or keep feeding him live? The breeder also told me to wait until he is on a regular feeding habit before I try to switch him back over. How long is usually a regular feeding habit? (Sorry if it seems like silly easy questions this is my first snake so yeah )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can try any time. If it won't take frozen/thawed then give live. Always try the F/T first. I've found that once my new balls are well settled in and comfortable in their new surroundings then feeding is rarely an issue. A regular schedule is also helpful. I like to feed Wednesday mornings before going to work, (pull the frozen on tuesday night and let it thaw out overnight) My snakes know the schedule better then I do and are usually sitting up at the front of their tubs when I turn the lights on Wednesday morning.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Re: How long should I keep feeding my ball python live before switching back to f/t?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    You can try any time. If it won't take frozen/thawed then give live. Always try the F/T first. I've found that once my new balls are well settled in and comfortable in their new surroundings then feeding is rarely an issue. A regular schedule is also helpful. I like to feed Wednesday mornings before going to work, (pull the frozen on tuesday night and let it thaw out overnight) My snakes know the schedule better then I do and are usually sitting up at the front of their tubs when I turn the lights on Wednesday morning.
    I've tried that a few times. I fed him 2 live ones then I offered him a f/t one and he wouldn't take it. I've tried everything imaginable. Teasing him with it and stuff. (I have really long tongs that I use) but no interest. He only seems interested in playing with his mice. But I will keep trying it.
    Last edited by LuciferPhantom; 04-29-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How long should I keep feeding my ball python live before switching back to f/t?

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferPhantom View Post
    I've tried that a few times. I fed him 2 live ones then I offered him a f/t one and he wouldn't take it. I've tried everything imaginable. Teasing him with it and stuff. (I have really long tongs that I use) but no interest. He only seems interested in playing with his mice. But I will keep trying it.
    hungry snakes that feel confident don't play with their food. He's probably being cautious because he's still not completely comfortable.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

amozo (04-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I don't think I ever had a snake that wouldn't switch over. Sometimes though you have to be patient. I had one that first only wanted fresh killed. Then only ones that I killed and froze. And then finally regular f/t. One of the moderaters on here once made a commit, if there hungry enough they'll eat. So try a month or so of the way your doing it, and offer a f/t again. Good luck.

Thanks

Dip the f/t in hot chicken broth before feeding. Bet you it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 White Diamond BEL, Ares - Born 10/28/14
    1.0 Crystal, Sterling - Born 10/28/14