Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

3 members and 3,249 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What would you add?

Hi all,

I recently rekindled my love of the hobby and have bought 6 2014 juveniles over the past couple months. I plan to do some breeding as a hobbyist when they are ready and see where things go from there. With so many knowledgeable & passionate members of this community, I wanted to ask your thoughts about how to pair and perhaps what to add to my collection (either another male & female pair or 2 more females).

So here's what I got:
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal het Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Which male do you like with the Lesser Pastel and what other morphs would you add to the mix?!?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    I'd look for a clown female . Maybe a pastel clown female. You have too many males for the amount of females you have . For the 2015 - 2016 season, here are my plans:

1.0 Super Pastel Enchi YB
    1.0 Ultramel

0.2 Enchi
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Enchi Fire
    0.1 Killerbee
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: What would you add?

The pastel het pied 1.0 should breed to all of your females when the girls are ready. Remember males are ready to breed a lot earlier than females. The females really are not sexually mature until their third season. You should invest in maybe a mature female who is a proven breeder and you can get your project off the ground a little sooner. Good luck.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 04-28-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: The males can go at about 1 year old sometimes sooner with a weight of 700grams or better. 900gms is better.

Thanks

Re: What would you add?

Quote Originally Posted by strongtip4 View Post
    Hi all,

I recently rekindled my love of the hobby and have bought 6 2014 juveniles over the past couple months. I plan to do some breeding as a hobbyist when they are ready and see where things go from there. With so many knowledgeable & passionate members of this community, I wanted to ask your thoughts about how to pair and perhaps what to add to my collection (either another male & female pair or 2 more females).

So here's what I got:
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal het Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Which male do you like with the Lesser Pastel and what other morphs would you add to the mix?!?

Cheers!
    Well personally I would have gotten a spinner male instead of the spider and the pin, but that's my personal opinion. Single gene males are a dime a dozen and 2 or 3 gene males can be had for not much more money but much more breeding use. That being said, I would pair either the spider or the pin to the lesser pastel for some nice queen bees or king pins. Would not add any more males unless you were looking to condense, which I don't really like the thought of doing (who wants to sell babies you've already gotten attached to?), so adding more females could be your chance to add some genetic bang that you're kind of lacking in.

A visual recessive female wouldn't be a bad option, as you can get away with not having a male for her since she'll make her own with the first clutch she drops for you. A clown female, for example, can give you spider clowns with her second clutch if you held back one of her sons from the spider. I think for another option a nice two gene female couldn't go wrong. Maybe something with calico, cinnamon, enchi, or another one of the pretty common genes. A cinnapin or calider won't steer you wrong for sure (but no more pastel, you have enough pastel).

Ultimately it's your own decision. You aren't doing this for anyone here, after all, this is your collection. If you decided you were happy with what you have, that's totally fine and you don't need to worry about what anyone else says about it.
    Last edited by Daigga; 04-28-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Hey guys, thanks for the tips ..... looking forward to more snakes and more fun in the years to come!