Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Thermostat

Thanks

Thermostat

Can you connect multiple tubs to the same thermostat?

FM

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Yes, as long as you are using identical heating elements (same size heat mat, same length/size heat tape, etc) and do not overtake the thermostat's max load.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Re: Thermostat

I have the zoo med heat pads and have not used thermostats thus far. I have them attached to my two plastic tubs. The seem hot, but the tub seems to handle it and the substrate (about 3" thick) seems only slightly warm to the touch. My snakes have not burrowed and move from the cool hide to the warm hide several times a day.

I am being proactive at this point, not wanting my snakes injured due to my ignorance. So...

Thought of purchasing a dimmer or thermostats to hook the tubs up, but not sure how they work. They also seem pricy for the good ones.

Note: my room is temp set at 75 and the snakes feel upper cool to lower warm when I handle them.

Appreciate your insights.

FM

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Maggot View Post
    I have the zoo med heat pads and have not used thermostats thus far. I have them attached to my two plastic tubs. The seem hot, but the tub seems to handle it and the substrate (about 3" thick) seems only slightly warm to the touch. My snakes have not burrowed and move from the cool hide to the warm hide several times a day.
    Yet

I am being proactive at this point, not wanting my snakes injured due to my ignorance. So....
    Knowing the actual surface temperature of the tub below the substrate would be the better start.

Thought of purchasing a dimmer or thermostats to hook the tubs up, but not sure how they work. They also seem pricy for the good ones.
    You chose a pet. Might look into costs before next purchase. Price a vet bill for a burn or at worst having that heat mat melt down and catch on fire while you are not home.

Note: my room is temp set at 75 and the snakes feel upper cool to lower warm when I handle them.
    What?????

Thanks
    Price is relative, if you spend the money on a good one, you'll have it forever. And not having the mats regulated is an accident waiting to happen.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Thought of purchasing a dimmer or thermostats to hook the tubs up, but not sure how they work.
    Dimmer: plug it into the wall, plug the mat into the dimmer output, adjust dimmer to dial back the heat. You will need 2, one for each matt. Shouldn't cost more than $25 for both at Lowes or Home Depot.

Thermostat: plug it into the wall, plug power strip into thermostat, plug heat matts into power strip, put thermostat probe under a matt, set thermostat to 90*F, wait for an hour, adjust up or down as needed to get a surface temp of 90*F.

Also three inches of substrate over the heat pad is way too much, 1/4-1/2 inch under the warm side hide is plenty. You can leave it thick on the cool side so your snakes can burrow if they want.

Heat Gun or IR Thermometer: buy one so you know the surface temp of the tub over the heat matt.

They also seem pricy for the good ones.
    A vet bill for a burn will run $150-300 depending on the cost of living in your area.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-28-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks

Got everything you listed today and adjusted the substrate. Appreciate the help.

As I look back on my decision to purchase my pets from a "pet-chain," I realize that I should've known better. Their advice was severely lacking. Lesson learned. I located a breeder who's location is about 45min from my house. We've spoken and he seems to be a nice guy who's willing to help with any issues I have.

Again, thanks for the advice.

FM